Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Generator question

For those who do not have an onboard generator and use an external one where do you place it when you run it? Do you take it out of the truck to run it so it is further away from the rv, or do you keep it in the bed of the truck while running it?
kevinB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #2

I have a Genny Go platform attached to the rear bumper of my trailer where I secure my generator while traveling.

I can run my generator while still secured whenever I stop be it overnight or for weeks.

If I want to place it farther from my TT for any reason I have a 12' super heavy security cable and a couple of heavy duty padlocks so I can secure it against theft.

Cable and power cord pretty much limit the distance.

I have two generators now (both quiet inverter types). Larger 3500W for summer when A/C is needed and recently acquired 2500w for winter when battery chargjng is about only need.

Larger one stays on platform and lighter one can easily be moved, usually for rain shelter if needed.

If one has a quiet generator it's not that necessary to move it far away. Just enough that CO doesn't enter the TT while running. On my TT there are no windows, doors, or side vents on the rear so running the generator while sitting on the rear platform has never bern a problem and the CO dector inside has never caught a whiff.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #3

I do both with my twin yamaha's depending on the situation (in transit in the bed at site along side of tongue. one word of caution if you are leaving in the bed of the truck make sure the exhaust is pointed away from anything you don't want to get burned.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #4

I have a long steel cable and lock I use to secure the gen to a tree or the trailer. I usually put it within 20 ft or so of the trailer. I try to point the exhaust away from the trailer and also away from any nearby campsites. The noise factor off-axis is much lower than directly in line. Don't want to intrude on other campers' quiet if possible.
I usually run mine for an hour or so in the early evening (like while I'm making dinner) to get the batteries charged. Rarely need more than that.
I've thought about building a simple baffle box with some foam board, but have found that once I'm 20 ft or so away from the gen, it's almost inaudible. And when I walk a campsite away? I can't hear it at all.
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I keep it a safe distance from trailer. I do not operate it in truck bed.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, question