Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #1

Grey Wolf AC & Heat System

Our neighbor has a Grey Wolf camper. He bought it about a year and half ago. He never got to use it due to covid and riots . He is a police officer.
Now for the first time he has the time and wants to use it. We were going over the systems and checking it out. All seems just like new and it all works just fine. Roof looks good too. The one question I have is about the Dometic AC and heat systems, which doesn't seem fine to me. The LCD touch button thermostat has a few options other than setting the temp numbers. Fan, Heat and AC. Pick one and set the temp for AC or heat. The strange thing is when you select heat. The furnace kicks in and it starts pumping nice heat out the heat vents. All nice and as it should be. However then after a minute or so the AC fan comes on also. It is just the fan but still I wouldn't think it should be doing this. After all it will pump in out side colder air with that fan running.
The AC unit itself runs just fine when you set it to run the AC. I have had several RV's in the last 20 years and not once have I ever seen a system do this. I don't think it is normal for it to operate that way.
Is there something were missing on how to use it? Is this normal? OH and he has no user instructions on how it should work and run. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

I know on my system if you have the fan set to low or high the fan will come on with the heat.
But if you have the fan set to auto it will not come on.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I know on my system if you have the fan set to low or high the fan will come on with the heat.
But if you have the fan set to auto it will not come on.
Ding, ding, ding
Use Mode to go to FAN, then + or - buttons to go to AU for AUTO.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

Thank you. I will try the set to auto method

Years camping 50+,
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #5

These two have it right. My back bedroom and bathroom get much warmer than the rest of the trailer so I set the fan to low and then put heat on auto. For starters set all three to auto. In some cases, for me more so in the morning, the ac with short cycle between low and high for an hour or two on auto so I will manually select high. At one degree from call temp it will drop to low in attempt to stay running and not kick out to only have to turn back on again. A small hiccup for me in the system. I have a 40 foot wildwood in addition to the trailer in my description
coryrhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

Thanks again to all.
I did find this once I knew what type thermostat he had. Who knows, maybe someone lese will have the same issue one day.

I should have done a longer search on the subject .

Years camping 50+,
Old 04-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #7

Good find on the video. My Airexcel or whatever it is as far as the thermostat brand that controls by furnace and Coleman AC has a long rectangular push button to cycle between modes as far as fan/heat/AC and each one is segmented into always on high or low and auto. Similar to how the Dometic works but not exact. It has up and down individual buttons for selecting the numerical value on all those or let me say furnace and AC. Fan is just that, a fan.

Tow vehicle: 2020 Ford F-250 4WD Super Duty 7.3 XLT FX4 Crew

TT: 2021 Grey Wolf 26 DBH
Germanrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

The set to Auto was the issue on this.
Seems like its always a simple thing.

To bad they don't really give the owner instructions to all the equipment and how to use it. I have yet in 5 RV's to get all I needed to run things. Had to figure something out each time. Seems I have more install manuals than operation manuals every time. The RV industry is a strange one indeed.

Years camping 50+,
Old 04-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post

To bad they don't really give the owner instructions to all the equipment and how to use it. I have yet in 5 RV's to get all I needed to run things. Had to figure something out each time. Seems I have more install manuals than operation manuals every time. The RV industry is a strange one indeed.
It is daunting for sure. Imagine being a newbie like me to this and trying to figure it out. I had to watch YouTube and then just figure things out...lol

Glad it is now no longer a mystery.

Tow vehicle: 2020 Ford F-250 4WD Super Duty 7.3 XLT FX4 Crew

TT: 2021 Grey Wolf 26 DBH
Germanrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post

We just took delivery of our first TT (Grey Wolf 29TE), and I, being the stickler for reading manuals that I am, was trying to find the one for the A/C. Couldn't find it anywhere. Was having a small issue with it cooling properly, so I was inspecting the unit from inside when I noticed shoved way up high inside the unit itself was the manual for it. Ridiculous.
BrentD99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf