Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2022, 10:02 PM   #1

Grey Wolf Anode needed

I have a 2013 17' Grey Wolf. Mostly sits in storage. I just winterized it (I see mice eating the styrofoam near the water heater shutoff are @#$%^&.

Anyway the anode is about 50% worn out but I want a spare. I'm not sure what material it is, would it be aluminum or magnesium?

Is Amazon an OK place to buy one (or Walmart online)?

Thanks so much!
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:12 PM   #2

Magnesium will produce a sulfur smell if the water contains bacteria. Aluminum-Zinc won't produce the gas that gives the sulfur smell. Yes, Walmart Online or Amazon is just fine for getting anode rods. If you don't have any concerns about sulfur smell, it is believed that magnesium gives you better corrosion protection.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSP View Post
I have a 2013 17' Grey Wolf. Mostly sits in storage. I just winterized it (I see mice eating the styrofoam near the water heater shutoff are @#$%^&.

Anyway the anode is about 50% worn out but I want a spare. I'm not sure what material it is, would it be aluminum or magnesium?

Is Amazon an OK place to buy one (or Walmart online)?

Thanks so much!
All Suburban water heaters will come with a magnesium anode from the factory. The optional aluminum anode rod is to be used if the magnesium one is consumed too fast due to hard water conditions. This doesn't sound like your case, so the magnesium is what you will want to keep using.

Please see this video provided by Suburban Manufacturing to our forums. We keep 5 different informational videos in the FAQ section you may find of benefit at the following link:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-135977.html

Here is the one about the anode rod(s)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:47 PM   #4

Thanks! Great info
RCSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, grey wolf