Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #21

Not sure if people are still using this thread but I have a 2021 28DT. After many issues (known ones) including the fridge on day 1, I looked down at my door and of course it’s separating from the frame because of stupid friction hinges. As with most issues forestriver and dealership no help, in fact AC Nelson my dealer wouldn’t even take my call. Another dealership said 1600$ and 5m for a new door. Well I fixed it for 75$.

1: i replaced both friction hinges with this hinge (link below) if your door frame is too badly bent and separated like mine was, replace both. Otherwise replace only the bottom one to keep some friction. I replaced both top and bottom due to the damage. Door moves freely now but it shuts and seals great and no more damage occurring.

https://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembly-6-leaf-black-204758

You need to follow the instructions bellow to instal took me 30 mins. Replace one at a time and don’t remove the middle hinge at all.

You need a dremel (I used a diamond circle bit) electric drill, flat and Phillips screw driver, hammer, 3/16 drill bit, up to 18x #10-16 1/2 pan head self drilling screws. (I used 3/4”) get them at your local ace hardware.

Hinges don’t fit perfectly with the old holes on either the frame or screen, so be prepared to have them slightly moved, it was no big deal to do.

2: Use gorilla clear construction adhesive max and glued between the frame and door on the inside on the hinges side, shut the door and made sure the frame was not bent by pounding on the door from the outside. Let it dry over night.

Problem solved. Except my door has no resistance now, but 75$ and door works. I’ll make some kind of a door stop or latch to solve that.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E308234C-5F3C-43A4-B463-E6DE5D55B7E6.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	273761  
JosephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephF View Post
Not sure if people are still using this thread but I have a 2021 28DT. After many issues (known ones) including the fridge on day 1, I looked down at my door and of course it’s separating from the frame because of stupid friction hinges. As with most issues forestriver and dealership no help, in fact AC Nelson my dealer wouldn’t even take my call. Another dealership said 1600$ and 5m for a new door. Well I fixed it for 75$.

1: i replaced both friction hinges with this hinge (link below) if your door frame is too badly bent and separated like mine was, replace both. Otherwise replace only the bottom one to keep some friction. I replaced both top and bottom due to the damage. Door moves freely now but it shuts and seals great and no more damage occurring.

https://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembl...f-black-204758

You need to follow the instructions bellow to instal took me 30 mins. Replace one at a time and don’t remove the middle hinge at all.

You need a dremel (I used a diamond circle bit) electric drill, flat and Phillips screw driver, hammer, 3/16 drill bit, up to 18x #10-16 1/2 pan head self drilling screws. (I used 3/4”) get them at your local ace hardware.

Hinges don’t fit perfectly with the old holes on either the frame or screen, so be prepared to have them slightly moved, it was no big deal to do.

2: Use gorilla clear construction adhesive max and glued between the frame and door on the inside on the hinges side, shut the door and made sure the frame was not bent by pounding on the door from the outside. Let it dry over night.

Problem solved. Except my door has no resistance now, but 75$ and door works. I’ll make some kind of a door stop or latch to solve that.

Good luck.

Exactly what I did after a couple camping trips and hate hate hated those stupid friction hinges. Not sure who’s “bright” idea those were?
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:19 AM   #23

I just joined this forum last night.
Looks like this is the place I was looking for.

I have a 2022 FR Cherokee GW 29BRB.
I also have 3 kids.
I ALSO have a door that is getting to my last nerve.

In the morning, like right now, my door opens and closes with ZERO issue. Like butter.

Around 13:00 in the afternoon, with the scorching Wisconsin sun beating on it, it refuses to function properly. The screen door is rubbing so bad on the striker that it's gouging the aluminum. If you close both doors, the screen door sticks and the big door RIPS away from the screen door. That in itself has caused other issues. The little catch that holds the screen door to the glass door now has stripped out screws. I replaced those with over sized screws and fixed it. However, the sun comes out every day and it's starting to re-create the issue there.

The sun starts going down in the evening (as it always does), and the door starts to fit perfectly again.

I know it's not my kids' fault, but they are destroying my doors with every use.

Yes, the trailer is level. Was the first thing I checked.
Yes, I get it.....cold contracts, heat expands. But this is a major issue that should not exist.

My dealer is 1.5 hours away, and honestly....quite incompetent. I would rather NOT deal with them, even though I am only a month and a half into ownership of this brand new beauty.

If I'm reading correctly, replace only one of the hinges with a non-friction hinge and I should solve the issue?? I'm afraid to do all the work, void my warranty, and have the sun come out and show me how stupid I am again.

Note: I'm a camp host, and on a fairly permanent site. So just going to a different site is not an option.

Glad I found this forum! I think I can get to the bottom of this issue with your help!!
nchittendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchittendon View Post
I just joined this forum last night.

Looks like this is the place I was looking for.

I have a 2022 FR Cherokee GW 29BRB.

I also have 3 kids.

I ALSO have a door that is getting to my last nerve.

In the morning, like right now, my door opens and closes with ZERO issue. Like butter.

Around 13:00 in the afternoon, with the scorching Wisconsin sun beating on it, it refuses to function properly. The screen door is rubbing so bad on the striker that it's gouging the aluminum. If you close both doors, the screen door sticks and the big door RIPS away from the screen door. That in itself has caused other issues. The little catch that holds the screen door to the glass door now has stripped out screws. I replaced those with over sized screws and fixed it. However, the sun comes out every day and it's starting to re-create the issue there.

The sun starts going down in the evening (as it always does), and the door starts to fit perfectly again.

I know it's not my kids' fault, but they are destroying my doors with every use.

Yes, the trailer is level. Was the first thing I checked.

Yes, I get it.....cold contracts, heat expands. But this is a major issue that should not exist.

My dealer is 1.5 hours away, and honestly....quite incompetent. I would rather NOT deal with them, even though I am only a month and a half into ownership of this brand new beauty.

If I'm reading correctly, replace only one of the hinges with a non-friction hinge and I should solve the issue?? I'm afraid to do all the work, void my warranty, and have the sun come out and show me how stupid I am again.

Note: I'm a camp host, and on a fairly permanent site. So just going to a different site is not an option.

Glad I found this forum! I think I can get to the bottom of this issue with your help!!

I don’t believe the friction hinge has anything to do with the hinge, just the main door. (I could be wrong?) Have you tried adjusting the latch and or hinges any to give you enough clear space when the sun heats it up to still operate properly? Sometimes it’s just a simple adjustment. Because there’s NO WAY they messed up the door at the factory…haha.
My screen door had no effect from the friction hinges but the main door sure did suck, so I replaced top and bottom hinges, left the middle friction hinge on (yes mine had all 3 for some reason) and closes way better.. still had to mess around with the strike plate to find the sweet spot where it works good…
Old 06-01-2022, 01:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Go to the Lippert site and order new 6 panel hinge assembles and replace those crappy friction hinges. Make sure you get the non friction type. I replace the top and bottom hinge but left the middle one for a little friction and works sooooo much better… they are only around $20 a piece and fairly easy to replace.
Are you able to re-organize the hinges?
The picture shows the screen door hinge in the middle, but my top and bottom hinges have the screen door hinge panel on the bottom.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchittendon View Post
Are you able to re-organize the hinges?

The picture shows the screen door hinge in the middle, but my top and bottom hinges have the screen door hinge panel on the bottom.

They are pretty much the exact same other than no friction. If I remember correctly, I used the same screw holes on the screen.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:51 PM   #27

I got my NON-friction hinges, but they aren't right.

For one, it looks like I need to drill half the holes my self?

Also, on my screen door, the top and bottom hinges utilize the BOTTOM most wing of the hinge. The ones that came in the mail have the hinge for the screen in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hinges.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	274603  
Old 06-11-2022, 01:55 AM   #28

I think I fixed my issue!

For starters, the new NON-friction hinges I ordered didn't have all the holes drilled. That was neat.

Second, I had to re-arrange the hinge panels to the correct order. I cut the main pin that went all the way through, and had to replace it with a threaded rod and lock nuts on each end.

Lastly, in the midst of the repair, I found that my screen door was not mounted properly. The holes on the bottom hinge were pushing on the door so badly, that it would not close right. Now, what does this have to do with the sun hitting it and it working/not working? I have no idea. lol

That being said, I replaced the bottom hinge set, and re-drilled the screen door hinge mount.

The door now works flawless in the early morning, and the direct sun lit afternoons. That's a win in my book!

The attached picture is the hinge I re-arranged on the left, the hinge I removed from the trailer in the middle, and the new hinge as it came on the right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220609_203030330.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	274710  
Old 06-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #29

Did you get any sort of a resolution? We've noticed that the top left corner (handle side) is rubbing when it gets hot. It is to the point that if we try and load up after work the door won't open and we are concerned about breaking the glass. We have to put the awning out and wait. I can see in the frame itself that starting at about the strike plate it is out of square as it makes it way to the top.
Jdcml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod381 View Post
The door pulls apart from the frame due to the tension on the friction hinges. The door is only held together with silicone.
. I am having the same exact problem with the front door. I have call and get a replacement door. These doors should be constructed differently and made stronger if there are multiple complaints for the same thing. I just got a permanent site and I need a stronger door.
SSheetz7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, grey wolf