Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #1

Grey wolf entry doors

I have a early built 2021 26dbh with the challenger entry doors. The main door was already replaced because it pulled apart. So far the bathroom door has not. I see lots of posts on facebook about these doors coming apart. My question is does anyone know any way to permanently repair these? My concern is my warranty will be up shortly and I am sure it will happen again when it is out of warranty because the new door does not look or feel any different than the original. I have thought about removing the friction hinges and installing regular hinges but then the doors will probably always get slammed into the awning arms.
mod381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #2

I don't know what coming apart means but could you reinforce what ever part is coming apart to stop that problem. Maybe adding backing plates or stiffeners. Maybe a pic with a better explanation of the problem. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #3

The door pulls apart from the frame due to the tension on the friction hinges. The door is only held together with silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E447569-F1E6-4B58-9398-2C6AC15179AF.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	251283  
mod381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #4

I have a '21 26 DBH as well.

Already had the front door replaced because it was coming apart and the replacement works well.

The bathroom door is another story and worst than the front door. Apparently it hasn't separated "enough" to be replaced, but the door is basically useless. You can't open it without the screen door breaking loose and staying in the door frame. Closing it is a nightmare all the time, but when any amount of sun is on the door, it has to be wedged into the frame to shut. I know something is gonna break if it keeps up.

The doors have really been the only real complaint I have had with the TT though.

Is there some known problem with the doors installed in May 2020?
lizARdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #5

Another possibility is to add some threaded rod through the door and hold it with some binding barrel screws. The doors are just foam cores so I think you could drill some pilot holes and work the threaded rod through the door to help sandwich it together. You can find those parts at McMaster Carr.com.
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #6

Thumbs down Challenger Door coming apart

I see this is an older post. Forest River has not done anything to fix this know problem. The purchased a new Forest River Cherokee Wolf Toy Hauler last July. The refrigerator worked half a day and died. Close to 6months to get a warranty replacement. The door has separated and again warranty coverage has been terrible going on 4 months still no door replacement. Buyer beware. Shame the company will not fix a known problem prior to selling. Worse yet dragging out warranty claims for months.
jdh582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #7

We have a 2020 that had entry door replaced because hinge broke and door pulled apart. Bathroom door won’t open because hinge broke. They have not responded for a year!!!
Cleaveland148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

I have a 2021 23DBH with the same problem. It’s like the hinge is too tight and it makes it hard to open or close and it’s separating from the door. Does anyone have a fix other than replacing it with another poor quality factory door?
DarinShrewsberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #9

Maybe pop rivets?
Moochie6903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
Cousins

Put some Kroil on the hinges to help loose The friction hinges up. I did and it works wonders. Cuts down on the squeak as well.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #11

The glass door on our 2021 Grey Wolf 23MK was very hard to open and close. I just lubed the hinges and all is well. Opens and closes very easy now.
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:36 PM   #12

I have a 2021 gray wolf I just took it in for my one-year inspection I told the ladyt my doors it was hard to open and close . She said I had a challenger door that it needed to be replaced they have been issues separating from the frame at Hinges they probably knew it when they sold it to me !
Dburnbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #13

Wolfpup door falling apart

Just had my entry door replaced by the dealer after about a 3 month wait for parts. The door was separating from the hinge rail due to the hinges being extremely tight and resistant to movement. The new door is exactly like the first one. I expect it to fail in the same way in short order, likely just after the warranty runs out. Good thing I am planning to sell the camper soon, won't be buying a Forest River again. Anyone have a suggestion on a preventive repair or a way to loosen the hinges? Already tried to lube the hinges. Thanks.
brad123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad123456 View Post
Just had my entry door replaced by the dealer after about a 3 month wait for parts. The door was separating from the hinge rail due to the hinges being extremely tight and resistant to movement. The new door is exactly like the first one. I expect it to fail in the same way in short order, likely just after the warranty runs out. Good thing I am planning to sell the camper soon, won't be buying a Forest River again. Anyone have a suggestion on a preventive repair or a way to loosen the hinges? Already tried to lube the hinges. Thanks.

Go to the Lippert site and order new 6 panel hinge assembles and replace those crappy friction hinges. Make sure you get the non friction type. I replace the top and bottom hinge but left the middle one for a little friction and works sooooo much better… they are only around $20 a piece and fairly easy to replace.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #15

non friction hinge?

Went to the website after reading your post. Could not see a listing for NON FRICTION, only for FRICTION. I am going to call on Monday do you happen to have a part number? Thanks. I feel that this is a perfect solution.
brad123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad123456 View Post
Went to the website after reading your post. Could not see a listing for NON FRICTION, only for FRICTION. I am going to call on Monday do you happen to have a part number? Thanks. I feel that this is a perfect solution.

https://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembl...ck-204758.html

This is what I bought…
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod381 View Post
I have a early built 2021 26dbh with the challenger entry doors. The main door was already replaced because it pulled apart. So far the bathroom door has not. I see lots of posts on facebook about these doors coming apart. My question is does anyone know any way to permanently repair these? My concern is my warranty will be up shortly and I am sure it will happen again when it is out of warranty because the new door does not look or feel any different than the original. I have thought about removing the friction hinges and installing regular hinges but then the doors will probably always get slammed into the awning arms.
I have a 2020 Wolf Pup 16fq that had the problem of the door frame separating from the door due to the friction hinges.
Since the warranty was expired I read up on the issue and repaired it myself.
The top and bottom hinges are friction style and after removing the 19 screws holding the door on I was surprised the door only weighed around 10 lbs.
Using a spring scale I found the friction hinges needed 63 lbs of force to move them. Way too much for the light aluminum frame that was glued to the foam door which caused the door to break loose of the frame on the hinge side. I had used wd 40, oil, blaster, etc to free the hinge but to no avail.
Removed the 4 screws in the bottom of the door and separated the frame as much as possible on the hinge side (up to the top hinge mount without bending the frame) and ran three 1/4" bead of Liquid Nail Extreme (white color) one bead along each edge where the door skin and Styrofoam meet and one down the center of the foam and then reassembled the door.
Then I used a 1/4" flat blade screwdriver to use as a wedge and taped it through the hinge pieces to relieve some of the friction. Set all four hinge plate to 35 pounds of pull to move them and reinstalled the door. Closed it and pushed in on the door on the hinge side to make sure it was set properly and left it for 3 days. What a difference. Door still doesn't slam, stays open in the wind and no more flex and separation on the frame.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:50 AM   #18

I have a 2020 Wolf Pup 16fq that had the problem of the door frame separating from the door due to the friction hinges.
Since the warranty was expired I read up on the issue and repaired it myself.
The top and bottom hinges are friction style and after removing the 19 screws holding the door on I was surprised the door only weighed around 10 lbs.
Using a spring scale I found the friction hinges needed 63 lbs of force to move them. Way too much for the light aluminum frame that was glued to the foam door which caused the door to break loose of the frame on the hinge side. I had used wd 40, oil, blaster, etc to free the hinge but to no avail.
Removed the 4 screws in the bottom of the door and separated the frame as much as possible on the hinge side (up to the top hinge mount without bending the frame) and ran three 1/4" bead of Liquid Nail Extreme (white color) one bead along each edge where the door skin and Styrofoam meet and one down the center of the foam and then reassembled the door.
Then I used a 1/4" flat blade screwdriver to use as a wedge and taped it through the hinge pieces to relieve some of the friction. Set all four hinge plate to 35 pounds of pull to move them and reinstalled the door. Closed it and pushed in on the door on the hinge side to make sure it was set properly and left it for 3 days. What a difference. Door still doesn't slam, stays open in the wind and no more flex and separation on the frame.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #19
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Lippert "Friction Hinges" problem

We have a 2020 19.5 NoBo. Since it was new, the door has always been a problem closing. I'd had enough lately with no help from FR or Lippert so I took my own steps to "fix" the problem.
I documented the steps in:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...me-240831.html
Post #8

I hope that helps. Note: my "fix" removes the "friction" in the hinges without removing them from the unit or having to replace them with "non-friction" hinges. Having too much friction any longer was a blessing and I'll live with the consequences of dealing with the PITA friction hinges.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #20

I had the issue on our 2020 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ. Out of warranty so I removed the door and separated the frame on the hinge side and used liquid nail on the door. Door center is mostly Styrofoam so I made sure to get the liquid nail on the edges of the door panels also. Put door back together and re hung. Pushed the door in flat and let it set for three days. Door tight and secure. I also opened up the friction hinges a bit using a small chisel tapping down through the hinge. Got about half the amount of resistance after.

Tags
door, grey wolf