Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

Have a few questions about GW 26bh. New guy here.

Hello all. New guy here. Got a new Nissan Titan last year and now want a camper. My questions are more about weight, length and all around ability of my truck to tow this long of a rig. Truck is a 2014 crew cab 2x4. Tow package, not big tow. 7400lbs max and 740lbs toung. Already got the elec brake controller wired up and installed. Will def buy the better wd hitch vs the elcheapo. Just concerned about putting my family in danger. Any help will be appreciated. The 26bh seems to be a good setup for us as we have 2 young boys. Oh and how does the coax cables work if I want to run my tailgater sat dish for game day and races?

-Chris
chrisgator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Huh, so no one has this camper to give some feedback?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Pulling up rough specs for your truck and the said camper it looks like you would be able to pull it, just have to calculate your payload and tongue weight to make sure you are good. I am sure someone that can math better than me will be along shortly to assist you with your setup. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 and have a 2015 GW 28bhks and it pulls it just fine.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #4

Thank you for the info. Do you have any issues/concerns towing a tt as long as yours? I looked up the specs of the 28 and it looks only 1ft longer then the 26. I feel good about towing the weight, just curious how it would do with a 30' camper. I've read so many mixed reviews where people say 30' is gtg and others say no more then 25' with a half ton truck. That's why I posted here as we really like the GW camper.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, some 1/2 ton guys will say pull what you feel comfortable towing within your allowable limits. Some 3/4 ton and more guys will tell you don't pull anything over 25ft. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on buying my current camper, checked specs, tow limits, calculated wheelbase and length, weight etc... Even looked to see if there were pictures of similar setups like mine. After losing my sanity figuring all this out and then regaining it back after the planets realigned we bought the camper and all is good. Trust the numbers, if you are trying to pound a square peg into a round hole stop and find the round peg.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #6

To answer your question though, I don't have any issues or concerns with towing mine, but I upgraded from a 21 ft trailer (with two cross country trips, Chicago to Washington state and back) so had some experience.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #7

I have a very similar 26BH and have no issues. Also have two kids and it works great for our family. Everyone has their own space and the tt is very comfortable for us.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
GLCM Warrior

My thoughts on this set-up are "it depends"...mainly on the payload capacity of your specific truck. The GVWR I found for the GW 26bh is 7,402 lbs, just over the stated 7,400 lbs max tow capacity for the truck. TT average hitch weight is ~10% of actual trailer weight for a max hitch weight somewhere around 740 lbs. Issue for me is that the ratings your quoting for the truck are calculated by the manufacturer using a base model truck with no added options.

I'd check your driver's side door pillar for the payload capacity of your specific vehicle...then, if it were me, I'd want about a 10% safety margin above the max expected hitch weight of 740 lbs or a minimum stated payload capacity of around 815 lbs. However, since you will want to take your DW and two boys along I'm sure, the actual stated payload will need to have additional capacity to accommodate their weight too as well as the weight of any gear you want to haul in the truck as well.

Ultimately, it's your call...but a good place to begin is to understand the potential risks involved when exceeding the payload capacity of the tow vehicle.

That being said, I pulled a TT (Jayco 26bh) with a GVWR well below the stated tow capacity of my F-150, and while it pulled it, I didn't enjoy towing it very much as every time I hit a hill of any size I was unhappy with the performance of the combination.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #9

I tow a Coachmen Apex 259BHSS with a 1/2 ton and it has worked out well. I was very concerned about buying too much trailer so I did lots of research. I'm comfortable with my setup and keeping my family safe. It's almost unbelievable how fast payload is used up so as others have mentioned this will be a big factor.

2014 Silverado 1500 CC short (5.7) bed
5.3 4X4 Z71

Payload 1743 per the sticker in the door
GVWR 7200
GCWR 15000
FGAWR 3950
RGAWR 3950

TT -
Has 5100# as dry weight listed from the manufacturer. Delivered (per the sticker) it weighs 5340#.
Tongue weight (manufacturer listing) is 640# so realistically it's probably closer to 800#.
GVWR is 7500
Overall length is 28'

I haven't taken it to the scales yet, but will do so in the spring.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As previously stated the answer is Maybe. There is a lot more than overall manufacturers stated tow capacity to look at as that number is given on a best case scenario with nothing but a driver in the truck..... let's look at how to figure out what you can tow.

First load your truck up with all passengers, pets and gear that will be with you when camping. Now go to a local Cat scale and weigh your truck with a full tank of fuel plus all of the above mentioned items. Put the front axle on the first scale pad and the rear axle on the second scale pad. (Bring a broom handle as the button to push us at truckers height).

Now take your trucks total scaled weight and subtract it from your trucks gcwr (gross combined weight rating) to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take your trucks scaled weight and subtract it from your trucks gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating) to get your available payload. Take your rear axle weight (drive axle on the paper) and subtract it from the max rawr (rear axle weight rating) to find out how much room you have available on your rear axle. You need to stay within all of these numbers with your loaded tt weights.

Your trailer tongue weight will be applied to your truck's payload. The dry tongue weight listed is kind of a useless number as it commonly does not include propane, battery etc. Your ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of the trailers loaded (not dry weight). You will not be taking a empty or dry trailer camping. Since you don't know how much weight you will be putting in, it is safer to calculate using tt gvwr, although I will tell you that on average people tend to add 1000-1500 lbs of gear, dishes, clothes etc to their tt.

Once you look at all of these numbers you will have a pretty good idea of what you can tow. Don't let a salesman talk you into towing any heavier than that. Happy hunting.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

Guys thanks for the replys!! I found a trailer weight calc on changinggears.com. Put as much info in as I could and it came back with 400lbs less on tt total weight and 100lbs less on total toung weight then what i calculated. So I came pretty close. This whole buying a camper this is driving my crazy. I see stuff i like at weights and length that are not too long, but no one around me carries them. We have 4 camping worlds here in SC and none really have the perfect rig for us. I do still like the grey wolf 26bh a lot. I've given myself a year to find one so i dont make a $15k mistake.