Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #1

Help, never used formal campgrounds!

So we are the rare ones. Never camped in a CG in 25 years of camping - tents, slide-in then fivers. Will be leaving for a 4 state cruise with our fiver. We are 100% boondockers (100% solar/inverted) and are used to carrying everything we need so this should be easy, but want to see if there is anything i haven't thought of?

Picked up a good surge suppressor, water px regulator and extended water and discharge hoses. Other than not controlling my neighbors, should I expect anything else?
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Marv n Mabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #2

Water filter , sewer pipe support would be a few things to add.
I do recommend taking the time to read the campgrounds rules after setting up. Some campgrounds have some different rules you would not expect. Like sewer hoses must be on a support.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

If you’ve boondock camped for 25 years, then I’m sure you have it figured out more than most.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

are you planning on any southern states...

Air conditioner is a must down here
Old 08-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

Exactly homebrew, but I would read the rules before I even arrive, but definitely when checking in.
Some parks require pads under every leveling or stabilizing jack. We carry Lynx blocks for this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lynx-Leve...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have fun and enjoy!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #6

LOL, we don't even know if ours works! It's only a year old so it should
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Old 08-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #7

Copy that!

We actually have the rules from 3 of them already emailed to us... Good grief.
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Old 08-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv n Mabel View Post
We actually have the rules from 3 of them already emailed to us... Good grief.
Unfortunately, they have to have a list of rules to keep their park nice and keep some folks in line.
Good thing is, most rules are very reasonable and have no affect on 'normal' folks. And most parks have very similar rules.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Extension cords for your power. Might want to have a 30 amp to 50 amp dongle, in case the 50 amp jack is damaged. Granted, you’ll only have half your circuits powered but better than none. And 30 amp extensions are far cheaper and lighter than 50 amp cables.
Also going from Boondocking to full power available, having some 12ga 20 amp extensions are handy to run outside power for tables and such not running via the camper saves power use in the camper when power limited. A good 50 amp power supply provides plenty of power (2 legs totaling 100 amps) but if you need to use the relatively low 30 amp power for supply, you need to watch usage.
Some CGs have cable television. You need some cables to hook that up. After all, it is glamping
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #10

My demise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Extension cords for your power. Might want to have a 30 amp to 50 amp dongle, in case the 50 amp jack is damaged. Granted, you’ll only have half your circuits powered but better than none. And 30 amp extensions are far cheaper and lighter than 50 amp cables.
Also going from Boondocking to full power available, having some 12ga 20 amp extensions are handy to run outside power for tables and such not running via the camper saves power use in the camper when power limited. A good 50 amp power supply provides plenty of power (2 legs totaling 100 amps) but if you need to use the relatively low 30 amp power for supply, you need to watch usage.
Some CGs have cable television. You need some cables to hook that up. After all, it is glamping
I hope this doesn't lead to my downfall! When the wife feels this nice AC and unlimited TV... LOL
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Old 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

Enforcing them is another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Unfortunately, they have to have a list of rules to keep their park nice and keep some folks in line.
Some Wisconsin State Parks choose not to enforce the statues. With the influx of newbies that bought a tent and a cooler believing they are now "campers", and the budget cuts (better described as stealing the financially self supporting State Park System funds" has contributed to the degradation of the parks I have visited.

A group can "party hardy" to the extent their moral compass takes them. How many "campgrounds" can you stuff 4 vehicles parking however they want (then complain that the site is muddy), 6 tents, and 14 people in a site for $40 total for both Friday & Saturday night, and make noise to the disturbance of your nieghbors??

I know why the "animals" are pervasive at some State Parks here in cheeseland. That behavior wouldn't be tolerated at private CG's, IMO

Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #12

Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
Some Wisconsin State Parks choose not to enforce the statues. With the influx of newbies that bought a tent and a cooler believing they are now "campers", and the budget cuts (better described as stealing the financially self supporting State Park System funds" has contributed to the degradation of the parks I have visited.

A group can "party hardy" to the extent their moral compass takes them. How many "campgrounds" can you stuff 4 vehicles parking however they want (then complain that the site is muddy), 6 tents, and 14 people in a site for $40 total for both Friday & Saturday night, and make noise to the disturbance of your nieghbors??

I know why the "animals" are pervasive at some State Parks here in cheeseland. That behavior wouldn't be tolerated at private CG's, IMO

Richard in Milwaukee
One State Park, we will boondock this one. Then a series of three private grounds - look really nice. Then a KoA, but chose it specifically for the location and ambience of the area.
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L
Old 08-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
I hope this doesn't lead to my downfall! When the wife feels this nice AC and unlimited TV... LOL

you are flirting with it !
Old 08-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #14

Quote:
One State Park, we will boondock this one. Then a series of three private grounds - look really nice. Then a KoA, but chose it specifically for the location and ambience of the area.
In addition to spoiling the wife, you might actually enjoy private campgrounds. They are in the business of making money, so they 'aim to please.' We like KOAs for their location near attractions and generally standard layout. Sometimes you can be a little too close to your neighbors though.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
We mostly boondock and dry camp in state parks. It wasn't until our third long trip that we actually had full hookups... And now our proportion of boondocking/dry camping to full hookups keeps dwindling. Be careful!
Old 08-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #16

I prefer KOAs, especially as a stopover. Even though I have heard people complain they are expensive, you know they are always held at the same standard and they always have nice facilities. You don't have to worry about the hooligans either (do people use that word anymore). I had some pop in for two nights a few weeks ago in a state park, very loud, 4 vehicles and they were shotting trees with rocks and a slingshot. Making these very loud stupid noises at the kids, I almost packed it up and went to a hotel but someone yelled at them to STFU..lol..i was laughing at that point because they did get a little quieter. The camp host should have been right next to me, but they were not there.
If you decide you like the KOA's, join the rewards program it does really pay off with free nights.
pnkdmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkdmnd View Post
I prefer KOAs, especially as a stopover. Even though I have heard people complain they are expensive, you know they are always held at the same standard and they always have nice facilities. You don't have to worry about the hooligans either (do people use that word anymore). I had some pop in for two nights a few weeks ago in a state park, very loud, 4 vehicles and they were shotting trees with rocks and a slingshot. Making these very loud stupid noises at the kids, I almost packed it up and went to a hotel but someone yelled at them to STFU..lol..i was laughing at that point because they did get a little quieter. The camp host should have been right next to me, but they were not there.
If you decide you like the KOA's, join the rewards program it does really pay off with free nights.
KOAs are good. I always try to book while on journey. Like McDonald's, consistent, clean restrooms and showers.

Jackson MN KOA invites an Asian food truck on Fridays and does karaoke on weekends. Food was great.

Been there 3 times back and forth to Glacier NP from WI in the last 3 years.

The resorts and holidays are pretty nice too. But I book them only if I can't get into private rv parks.

Some balk at the prices. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #18

Quote:
So we are the rare ones. Never camped in a CG in 25 years of camping - tents, slide-in then fivers. Will be leaving for a 4 state cruise with our fiver. We are 100% boondockers (100% solar/inverted) and are used to carrying everything we need so this should be easy, but want to see if there is anything i haven't thought of?

Picked up a good surge suppressor, water px regulator and extended water and discharge hoses. Other than not controlling my neighbors, should I expect anything else?
Campground Review is my go to app. It will give you all the information you should need including price and review
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #19
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Items to have

Ear plugs and a sleep aid just in case. Best.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTROAD View Post
Campground Review is my go to app. It will give you all the information you should need including price and review
We also use Campground Review. A lot of the posts will give you additional information on what to expect from your stay and tips on things to do or see in the area.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg