Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Hot water heater works but water is luke warm

I have a grey wolf 26dbh, i dont think the hot water has ever worked properly. When i turn on the switch, I can hear the hot water heater kick on and after about 20 minutes or so there is warm water but it kind of fluctuates between cold and warm. Its never been hot. The manuals for these rigs are ridiculous, I cant seem to figure this out. any help is appreciated.
jhenretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Do you have an outside shower? If so the hot and cold handles need to be turned off. It messes with the mixing valves. Do you have an option for 120 volt AC heat? If so does it work?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Most likely it's your bypass valves. Check this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Sounds like bypass valves. I did the same thing last year after de-winterizing. Had the handles turn the wrong way....
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 max tow package
4Daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Team

You do not say what bypass valve configuration you have. The first photo the valve is in the bypass position, you would need to turn the handle toward the front of the photo. In the second photo all three valves are in the bypass position. You would need to turn all three 90 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass single valve.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	199147  
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

not sure what kind of bypass I have.. I cant seem to find anything like the pictures you've posted here. Anyone know where I can find my bypass valve in my 2016 grey wolf 26dbh? I have a feeling its under the bottom bunk but the plywood doesnt appear like its going to pull up.
jhenretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Find the water heater panel on the outside of the trailer, go inside to the same location. You may have to remove a panel with a few square drive or phillips screws with a screwdriver.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Just going a quick google search of your model number, it looks like your water heater is towards the front of your trailer. So the bypass valves may be in a panel beside your bed somewhere.

Don't know if this is what your trailer looks like but it's what I found:

Name:	GW1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	199189

Name:	GW2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	199190
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You do not say what bypass valve configuration you have. The first photo the valve is in the bypass position, you would need to turn the handle toward the front of the photo. In the second photo all three valves are in the bypass position. You would need to turn all three 90 degrees.
Jhenretta, I suspect that you have the bypass system shown in Flybob's second photo. However, since you have at least warm water, that means that water is getting into the tank from the cold line, heating, and exiting via the hot line. I think you'll find that both of those lines are open, with the oval valve pointed parallel to the pipe, not closed as shown in the photo.

The problem is likely that the crossover, or bypass, line is also open as shown in the photo. That allows cold water to cross over into the hot line without ever being heated. Close that valve, so that the handle is perpendicular to the pipe, and you should have all the hot water you can use.

Make sure that you never start the water heater with the lines configured as in that second photo. No water is getting into the tank in that winterize configuration, and you'll burn up the heating element.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater