Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #61

Just got back from tire shop. Replaced my Castle Rocks with Goodyear endurance 225/75R15 load range E. Purchase TT May 2020 had no issues with Castle Rocks just wanted piece of mind. Hope I notice a difference in towing with the Good Years.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbadvisor View Post
Just got back from tire shop. Replaced my Castle Rocks with Goodyear endurance 225/75R15 load range E. Purchase TT May 2020 had no issues with Castle Rocks just wanted piece of mind. Hope I notice a difference in towing with the Good Years.
Purchased my GY Endurance tires this week to replace the Castle Rocks. Iím taking the wheels off at home and bringing them to the shop for mounting/balancing. Canít wait to see the difference in towing.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
What is the type code for the proposed tires? Is it:
LT (Light Truck)
ST (Special Trailer)
P (Passenger vehicle)

Two-axle trailers put sideways stresses on tires that many tires aren't designed for. Consider the worst-case. The tow vehicle is facing 90 degrees left from the trailer. When the tow vehicle starts rolling, the front two tires will be dragged sideways to the left and the back two tires will be dragged sideways to the right! This puts a lot of stress in the tires. ST tires are designed for this.

Admittedly, we don't spend a lot of time doing this, but when we make the more common 45-degree turn, the stress is still there, just reduced. This stress is taken into consideration in the design of ST tires.
ST but his concern was changing to a 14 ply. He isnít sure if that ply would have a stabling factor and last better or of it would be to no advantage. Thanks for answering me sir.
Sam Hyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #64

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Purchased my GY Endurance tires this week to replace the Castle Rocks. Iím taking the wheels off at home and bringing them to the shop for mounting/balancing. Canít wait to see the difference in towing.
I took my Chinese 10 ply tires off right after I brought the camper home and replaced them with the Transeagle 10 ply tires. I didn't want to take any chances. After checking prices, I found the Endurance tires were $130 each online. The Transeagle's were $67.00 each and are made in Kentucky. You are paying for the Goodyear name when buying from them. And I couldn't believe the difference in weight when I picked up the Transeagle's compared to the Chinese tires. I didn't weigh them but I'm guessing the Transeagle's were at least 15 lbs heavier, maybe even 20. I had the Chinese tires mounted on wheels which I use on our utility trailer which we just use mainly around town, so I had one left over which I will use some time down the road.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
I took my Chinese 10 ply tires off right after I brought the camper home and replaced them with the Transeagle 10 ply tires. I didn't want to take any chances. After checking prices, I found the Endurance tires were $130 each online. The Transeagle's were $67.00 each and are made in Kentucky. You are paying for the Goodyear name when buying from them. And I couldn't believe the difference in weight when I picked up the Transeagle's compared to the Chinese tires. I didn't weigh them but I'm guessing the Transeagle's were at least 15 lbs heavier, maybe even 20. I had the Chinese tires mounted on wheels which I use on our utility trailer which we just use mainly around town, so I had one left over which I will use some time down the road.

What brand were the Chinese tires you removed?
Old 03-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #66

Also transeagle tires are made in China .
Old 03-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #67

I must not be in tuned with my trailer as some of you. I drove with a flat tire for who knows how far. If it hadnít been for another driver waving to me and pointing to the trailer I would have never known. Never heard or felt any difference. When I replaced tires on my last trailer and on this one between the noise of the engine, 65 to 70 mph winds as I drove plus the radio I could never hear my tires 20 plus feet behind me. Not sure that over that same distance, with the quality of roads and the natural feel of an HD truck that magnifies every bump in the road that I have felt a difference either.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:55 PM   #68

Castle Rock tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
I have a theory much different that most others here.

I was in the computer business for about 30 years and saw many manufacturers get labeled as poor quality and just bad computer systems when in fact they were quality PC's.

Here are a couple of names you might recognize.

Packard Bell, Compaq, and Dell.

Each brand went through a time when they were labeled bad. What I saw was that as each brand took over the larger market share and they were selling 5, 10, or 20 times as many as others they had more returns just because they were selling more. It had nothing to do with the quality of the products it was because of the volumes sold.

You see "China Bombs" because it is what is on many many TT's and people will talk about them here because it is a Forest River Forum. They will not talk about the problems with Goodyear or any other brand because it has nothing to do with Forest River or other TT manufacturers.

When we first got out latest TT we took a 10,000 mile 2 month cross country trip starting in Delaware going to Chicago to down Rt 66 to San Diego to Mississippi and back to Delaware. Not one issue.

My point is check tires at every stop, maintain correct tire pressure, do not drive 85 on a 65 mph rated tire and you should be just fine with the tires you have on the TT.

We have kept the last three campers we've owned in our pole building when it's not being used, so it sits a lot on concrete floors but it is out of the weather for probably 350 days out of the year. We've never had a blow out on any camper that I can recall. If we've had one, it was a long time ago. I am very good at checking the air pressure on tires, being a truck driver for most of my 70 years. I have never driven fast, I stay under 70 mph even on interstates while pulling trailers. The faster you go, the longer it's going to take you to stop if something happens. I have had some phenomenal luck with camper tires and just tires in general. But part of it is doing what you and others have mentioned here. It just comes natural for me as I have been doing these things for 55 years pulling trailers. But after reading so many posts on this forum about the Chinese made tires, the Castle Rocks in particular, I brought our new 5th wheel home from the eastern part of Minnesota to Billing Montana, with no problems with the tires and immediately bought 4 tires for it. It came with the Castle Rock tires load range E and I replaced them with load range E tires. The camper has an empty weight of 8360 lbs. so since the tires have a carrying capacity of 2860 lbs. each, depending what site one looks at, so with a carrying capacity of 11,440 lbs and since the pickup, a 1 ton dually is carrying 1255 lbs plus what ever cargo we would put in it which might total 1200 lbs which includes all liquids ( most of that weight would be in the front towards the hitch) the tires would only have probably around 7800 lbs on the 4 tires or less than 2000 lbs on each tire which are capable of carrying 2860 lbs each. This is the kind of cushion which makes me comfortable when towing our fifth wheel. It's a comfortable amount of cushion to have knowing that we're not even close to the max weight the tires will carry. So I won't be putting 80 psi pressure in them. I will probably run 65 psi in them and monitor the tpms for heat. We usually pull a second trailer behind the camper with our 1000 RZR on it and those too will have the tpms. I put a heavier duty bumper with a receiver hitch in it over the winter. I purchased a hitch scale so will try to stay under 250 lbs on the hitch by adjusting how far forward on the trailer I pull the side by side. I was going somewhere with this post but for the life of me can't remember what it was. Oh well, it was fun reminiscing.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #69

Grey Wolf

My 2019 Grey Wolf 20RDSE came with Constancy LY188 ST205/75R14 tires on them. They are polyester, steel, and nylon belts. They are load range D and rated speed L, 75 mph. The Grey Wolf claims a weight of 4087 lb empty, and allowable cargo weight of around 3500 lbs! I don’t bother weighing anything because I figure I am so far below capacity on truck and camper. The tires are rated 2040 lb, or a total of 8260 lbs. I doubt we have 1000 lb of cargo. I check pressure every time we use the camper and I don’t drive over 64 mph. The tires seem quite good in the two years we have used them and they show no wear. We have not travelled far so they likely have only a few thousand miles on them. They are made in China and designed in the USA, whatever that means. I keep covers on the tires in storage, as I have seen trailer tires destroyed by the sun. I see no need to change them.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #70

Smile I've got a long way to go

Hi. I am buying my Wolf Pup 16FQBL over 1,900 miles from home. After reading about the tires, I am leary to tow it home with the stock tires on it. I might ask the dealer to swap them out for Goodyear Endurance tires or another brand that you fine experienced folks might recommend. The Goodyear name is a good one but it's also expensive.

2016 Flagstaff MicroLite WFLT23LB

2014 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 2WD 3.08 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
boeingav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #71

Quote:
Quote:
I might ask the dealer to swap them out for Goodyear Endurance tires or another brand that you fine experienced folks might recommend. The Goodyear name is a good one but it's also expensive.

Make sure they are aired up correctly at the dealership. Drag it home... get your best deal online at goodyear website or whereever... get the new tires... sell the old ones on craigslist or use them for a non-critical trailering application... like something not associated with a vacation.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #72

Light load

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingav8r View Post
Hi. I am buying my Wolf Pup 16FQBL over 1,900 miles from home. After reading about the tires, I am leary to tow it home with the stock tires on it. I might ask the dealer to swap them out for Goodyear Endurance tires or another brand that you fine experienced folks might recommend. The Goodyear name is a good one but it's also expensive.
You will be bringing it home unloaded, the best possible condition. Just check the tire pressure torque the lugnuts every morning and you will be fine. The weather is still cool, another factor in your favor. You can change the tires when you get home.

Tires may still be in short supply--you won't be in panic mode, trying to get them.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #73

Thanks for the input. Are there other brands of tires you guys find are as good as say Goodyear tires?? I'll Google it. Google is always left, uh, I mean right.

2016 Flagstaff MicroLite WFLT23LB

2014 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 5.3L 2WD 3.08 gears Auto/Manual Transmission. Z82 and Z85 pkgs.
boeingav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #74

If you buy new just make sure you go up 1-2 load ranges. That will insure your tires will be better than spec load.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #75

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeingav8r View Post
Thanks for the input. Are there other brands of tires you guys find are as good as say Goodyear tires?? I'll Google it. Google is always left, uh, I mean right.
I bought the Transeagle brand. They had excellent reviews and I did a lot of checking. Nice thing is they're half the price of the Good Year endurance cuz I checked on those too. But...I will admit that I haven't used them yet so personally, I can't vouch for them so time will tell.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #76

I drove straight from the dealer to a tire shop and had the Castle Rock tires replaced with Goodyear Endurance radials.

I hate being so wasteful by discarding a set of tires with literally 2 miles on them but the fear of a blowout on a single-axle trailer won out. The tire shop said they get a lot of customers doing the same thing and the factory tires go straight into the trash.

The Goodyears are great and I hope for many safe and trouble free miles on them. The peace of mind was well worth the $350.
Mtndrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #77
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerman View Post
Not sure where your information came from on the manufacture of Transeagle tires.. My research states that Transeagle tires are made in China.. All tires have a code that indicates the country of manufacture. Check your codes for country of origin...they are made by Windforce Tyre company in China and imported by Transamerica Tire Ltd. Not saying that they are not a good quality, but usually you get what you paid for.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtndrew1 View Post
I drove straight from the dealer to a tire shop and had the Castle Rock tires replaced with Goodyear Endurance radials.

I hate being so wasteful by discarding a set of tires with literally 2 miles on them but the fear of a blowout on a single-axle trailer won out. The tire shop said they get a lot of customers doing the same thing and the factory tires go straight into the trash.
The Goodyears are great and I hope for many safe and trouble free miles on them. The peace of mind was well worth the $350.
Brand new tires removed and "thrown in the trash"?!?! What a waste. (gotta wonder if they tire shop isn't selling them as "used" out the back door!!)

I sold my original imported 4 year old tires for $80 on FB marketplace and my phone just about blew up. Obviously I didn't ask enough for them. Oh yeah, I bought the exact same brand for replacements.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Brand new tires removed and "thrown in the trash"?!?! What a waste. (gotta wonder if they tire shop isn't selling them as "used" out the back door!!)

I sold my original imported 4 year old tires for $80 on FB marketplace and my phone just about blew up. Obviously I didn't ask enough for them. Oh yeah, I bought the exact same brand for replacements.
This was a pretty big tire chain adjacent to the RV dealer in a huge metropolitan area so I doubt they have a used tire operation on the side.

The installer said they see too many blowouts on all these tires to mess with them. Apparently they’re all effectively identical in construction with different brand names stamped on the side. They told me horror stories commensurate with what I’ve read on RV forums.

I would have too much of a guilty conscience selling tires I know to be potentially dangerous so I just left them with the installer and they put them in the dumpster.

I learned long ago never to skimp on tires or brakes on vehicles. There are a lot of places one can cut corners but never tires or brakes. My car, truck, bike, and trailer all have top-shelf tires.

2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 14CC
1994 Ford F-150
Mtndrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #80
REL

I don't know how bad they are. I switched the Castle Rocks out for MAXXIS 8088s as soon as I got the camper home.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires