Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #41

Better yet, sell your new junk tires for some confidence.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #42

So you ASSume everyone is an idiot?
Old 03-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #43

I believe that many trailers weigh more than their tires can handle. I upgraded the load and speed rating on all of my trailers several years ago, and haven't had a flat since. Prior to that, I usually had one or two a year. Check the speed ratings. Goodyear Endurance are rated for 88 mph. That's way better than the old 65 mph ratings.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #44

So we have seen a lot of negative about Castle Rock and good stuff about Goodyear Endurance. How about thoughts on Rainier ST tires?
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #45

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS husband wants to put new tires but has question on Ply he wants to put on 14 ply Transeagle 225x75 xR15 anyone have experience with using the ply or this brand? TIA
Sam Hyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #46

Junk tires

Dump any Castle Rocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190808_152549544_HDR.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	250045  
Torreyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #47

From the research I’ve done the majority of the tire that come on RVs are from China. The reviews on the tires are not stellar. This does not mean that every tire from China is going to experience a catastrophic failure. However, you are more likely to experience a catastrophic failure with a tire from China than a brand name tire.

Major reasons for failure are inconsistent quality control and poor material control. However, it must be said that other reasons include improper inflation, exceeding the load ratings and speed ratings.

Make sue your tires are appropriate for the weight you will be carrying. Do not drive at the speed rating (most trailer tires are ST tires rated at 75mph. Stick with a brand that you would be confident putting on your family members vehicles, read the sides of your tires and make sure you respect the limits.
Morgan_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan_N View Post
From the research I’ve done the majority of the tire that come on RVs are from China. The reviews on the tires are not stellar. This does not mean that every tire from China is going to experience a catastrophic failure. However, you are more likely to experience a catastrophic failure with a tire from China than a brand name tire.

Major reasons for failure are inconsistent quality control and poor material control. However, it must be said that other reasons include improper inflation, exceeding the load ratings and speed ratings.

Make sue your tires are appropriate for the weight you will be carrying. Do not drive at the speed rating (most trailer tires are ST tires rated at 75mph. Stick with a brand that you would be confident putting on your family members vehicles, read the sides of your tires and make sure you respect the limits.
Wrong about 75MPH. Most new ST
tires from the factory are only speed rated for 65 MPH. GY ENdurance are N rated for 87 MPH.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #49

I'm on my 4th RV (pop-up, 23' hybrid, 32' travel trailer, 32' class C motorhome) and have experienced a single tire problem. On the TT, one of the valve stems starting leaking.

I am vigilant on checking tire pressures, not exceeding 65 MPH on ST tires (I know, some are now available that have higher ratings), not overloading, and keeping them covered when in storage.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #50

Tredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
So we have seen a lot of negative about Castle Rock and good stuff about Goodyear Endurance. How about thoughts on Rainier ST tires?
"Tredit
The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. Tredit owns the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally."

In other words, the Tredit Tire and Wheel company (a major supplier to trailer OEMs and aftermarket) has a Chinese company, Wanda, who custom-makes their Rainier tires for them. Tredit owns the mold and brand name, but outsources the manufacture.

It appears that this is the same business model practiced by Lionshead.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #51

Type code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hyer View Post
Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS husband wants to put new tires but has question on Ply he wants to put on 14 ply Transeagle 225x75 xR15 anyone have experience with using the ply or this brand? TIA
What is the type code for the proposed tires? Is it:
LT (Light Truck)
ST (Special Trailer)
P (Passenger vehicle)

Two-axle trailers put sideways stresses on tires that many tires aren't designed for. Consider the worst-case. The tow vehicle is facing 90 degrees left from the trailer. When the tow vehicle starts rolling, the front two tires will be dragged sideways to the left and the back two tires will be dragged sideways to the right! This puts a lot of stress in the tires. ST tires are designed for this.

Admittedly, we don't spend a lot of time doing this, but when we make the more common 45-degree turn, the stress is still there, just reduced. This stress is taken into consideration in the design of ST tires.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Wrong about 75MPH. Most new ST
tires from the factory are only speed rated for 65 MPH. GY ENdurance are N rated for 87 MPH.
Factory tires on forest River towables are castle rock branded and are rated to 75mph.

Dirthawg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #53

Tires

We purchased our TT in May 2018 and towed it for 11,500+ miles before replacing with Goodyear Endurance. I used TPMS and was careful to check tire pressure and wear before, during and after each trip, just like I do my truck. Yes, there were risks, but there are with any brand.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #54

We just replaced our stock tires. They were "so far- so good" tires, but after reading here on these forums, we decided to go ahead and change them out. They are 5 years old, but look new. Don't really have an opinion about the China bombs; we've had no problems, but been staying close to home. But- the difference in tires is day and night. Just the short distance driving home, I noticed our new tires drove better, sounded better, just an overall different but better experience. Very glad we changed out.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #55

MotorHome comment

Hmmm, I have a FR Georgetown Motor Home, and they didn't scrimp on the tires for that - they put on Goodyear tires. I replaced them with a lessor brand eventually, after they aged out. Maybe they can get away with scrimping easier on TTs.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #56

22"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
Hmmm, I have a FR Georgetown Motor Home, and they didn't scrimp on the tires for that - they put on Goodyear tires. I replaced them with a lessor brand eventually, after they aged out. Maybe they can get away with scrimping easier on TTs.
Outside my field of expertise, but I'm kinda guessing your Georgetown has 20" or 22" wheels that accept Commercial tires. Most trailers have 15" or 16" wheels that accept ST (Special Trailer) tires. I wonder if there aren't that many Chinese providers of Commercial tires.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #57

I have Castle Rocks on mine, but only have about 2500 miles on them. I check tire pressures every stop, have a portable 24V/120V compressor with me at all times, and do not go over the recommended speed for the tires. My plan is to get a better tire, but so far they have done fine. Someone posted on here in an earlier response about heat.....I think a lot of folks get into trouble driving faster than the rated speed for the tires. Couple that with the fact that most don't keep an eye on pressure, load rating and GVWR, and you will have issues regardless of tire. Mine are rated for 75 MPH, which honestly, I don't exceed while towing anyway . I have read the horror stories regarding my China Bomb tires, which does concern me. However, I plan on putting a few more miles on them before I replace.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
"Tredit
The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. Tredit owns the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally."

In other words, the Tredit Tire and Wheel company (a major supplier to trailer OEMs and aftermarket) has a Chinese company, Wanda, who custom-makes their Rainier tires for them. Tredit owns the mold and brand name, but outsources the manufacture.

It appears that this is the same business model practiced by Lionshead.
Ok, good info to know. But I'm not finding a lot of info or reviews about the Ranier ST tires. Are they a yay or nay? The ones I have are 205/75R14 Load range D and are speed rated M for up to 81mph.
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I've seen several comments on the general forum about the tires FR uses and needing to replace them. Has anyone had any issues with the stock tires? Is it something to be concerned about on a new TT?
My 2021 Forest River 2506S came from the factory with Goodyear Endurance. I don’t know if this is standard or not but works for me.
Larry Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #60

Stock Trailer Tires

The stock trailer tires are Chinese.They are awful. Purchase American made tires that are load range E or better. They are not cheap. They will save you anguish and heartache.
JSLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires