Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

How good are your slider seals ?

Have read a lot about leaking around seals of sliders and mine got put to the test. Other week, we were out for 11 days and experienced three major thunderstorms, all with hail, high winds and heavy rains. The worst was heavy rain, hail, with 50-60 mph winds. Wind was from the north and door side of camper was north. Not a single drop of water came thru any of the seals, even though the wind was strong enough to blow the rain through the stove vent cover and had one drip come out of vent over stove. Other storm blew from south, and same result...all seals remained dry. Did receive a couple small hail dents on side of TT, but that was it. I have noticed lately, when I'm extending the slides out, if the entry door is just slightly open, there is enough suction from slides extending to suck the door closed. Regular inspections and lubrication really pays off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #2

That’s great, what do you use on your seals
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

I'm all for regular inspection and maintenance. I'm sure treating all seals has benefit. But having said that, I've never treated any slide seals in any RV we have ever owned and never had any problems or leaks. We keep RVs for an average of 7 years.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

The seals lasting That long is wonderful, I hear so much any more about bad construction and inferior products used to make RV’s it makes me worry a little. We started out tent camping moved up to a pop up and now we’re on our second FR TT. Hope I have good luck with the latest one. Good travels and be safe.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
That’s great, what do you use on your seals
Been using a WD40 Silicone spray rated for rubber. First year on our 2018 Cherokee 304 that we bought in April of 2017. I'm impressed with how well it's been working. Treating them in Spring, Mid summer, fall, and before I put it away for winter.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm all for regular inspection and maintenance. I'm sure treating all seals has benefit. But having said that, I've never treated any slide seals in any RV we have ever owned and never had any problems or leaks. We keep RVs for an average of 7 years.
I never did much to the seals on our 2007 28' Jayco and never had leaks either. Treated them maybe 4 times before we sold it in 2017.

Tags
seal, slide