Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

How to get all locks keyed alike

I don't like the lack of security for our camper. The key everyone seems to have for their storage would lead right under my bed and into my camper. So I am looking at what my options are to replace all locks to be keyed alike. Is this something a locksmith can do? Or can I order something online and DIY?

I am not nearly as concerned with fellow campers as I am at the storage lot.

Thanks!
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

There are plenty of threads here on the forum about those who have changed their locks to Tubular Cam Lock Style and keyed alike, so many i hesitate to link em
Personally, I went on Amazon and purchased all new Tubular Cam Locks and latches that fit my rig and installed them. Plenty of videos on youtube and here -

VERY EASY DIY for sure and recommend -
You can also have a locksmith may cost more but your level of comfort -

Google Videos "Change Your RV CH751 Locks"
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #3

https://www.latchit.org/

This site may have what you are looking for!
Hayes Electronic Sway Master
Level Mate Pro +
quinndav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #4

rvlocksandmore.com

I ordered additional keys and cam locks for my trailer from https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/. Our Geo Pro was already using the keyed-alike system, so i bought the keys and locks that matched our key code. I think you could pick a key number and buy all the necessary locks that match the key number and you'd be set!

They shipped my order quickly and would highly recommend them (No, I'm not being paid by them)!!
Old 04-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

I just took out my all of my locks including the latch and deadbolt on my entry door and took them to our local RV store where the guy master keyed the door lock and rekeyed the hatch locks to match. The only one he was unable to do was the outdoor shower hatch.
Painless and inexpensive as I remember.
Now I just carry 1 key and have a second for the outdoor shower that I leave in the trailer.
Clyde
Clyde M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #6

Locks and under bed

I replaced all storage locks with tubular (ACE type) locks. They can still be picked but it requires different tools and more work.
Under my bed I installed a spring loaded screen door latch on each side of the bed at the bottom. Now someone would have to get into my outside storage door and crawl through my junk collection and then be able to push up on the bed to break the two latches.
On the sliding door I installed a U shaped lock that hooks the door to the door frame to prevent lifting the door off the track. It also would require large tools to pry the door open. I only drop the U shaped piece in place when I store the trailer.
Our shed has an added lock that is the round kind made for truck doors. Only used when we are not present.
I also have a CCTV recorder with 2 cameras outside and one inside.
Several thefts have occurred since we have been here but no one has bothered our unit or shed. They tend to be attracted to low hanging fruit as it is said.
Good luck.....
Escapenrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #7

Looks like I can get these to match the code on the one of my existing locks:
https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/KC-SNM_2

I just need a the special key to remove the existing locks...
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

rekey locks

The locks on my MH were were the universal locks used on so many RVs. I simply disassembled the locks and swapped two of the pins. Then took one of the locks to the locksmith and had them make a new key. Snap, 13 new locks for $24. Pretty easy. Of course this is a fairly simple lock to keep honest people honest.
flatendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Unfortunately, locks are not going to help you much if they decide to break into your unit at a storage lot. A crowbar will allow them to pop the locks on storage compartments and pry open doors. The damage they can do by prying into the rig can be very expensive. They can also smash windows and take what they want.

Your best investment is a good insurance policy on that rig in case of damage and a storage lot with good security. Changing the locks will help prevent the casual thief at a campground.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #10

Opening a tubular lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapenrv View Post
I replaced all storage locks with tubular (ACE type) locks. They can still be picked but it requires different tools and more work.
Here's a picture of the tool for a tubular lock. It's actually less work.
  1. Bite off the little plug on the back of the pen. (You can do this in advance if you wish.)
  2. Push the open end of the pen into the lock as hard as you can.
  3. Twist lightly.
I am absolutely certain I can do this faster than I can pick a five-tumbler lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bic2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	251511  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #11

I am replacing my factory locks to tubes just to make them easier to unlock, as far as security then can break is pretty easy no matter what lock you have. Some people say don't lock, but I lock to keep kids out and passive thieves out. If a passive thieve is a thing. LOL
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
Flyboy1950

Tubular locks are no better

Watch this YouTube video & you won't install tubular locks for security:

If somebody wants in they'll get in.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
Looks like I can get these to match the code on the one of my existing locks:
https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/KC-SNM_2

I just need a the special key to remove the existing locks...
Nah. If yours is anything like most, all you need is

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel

And your key number. This assumes that your door key is a "purple" key.
Also, make sure to measure the length of the lock barrels currently on all your compartment doors. Some can be longer or shorter than others.

Some common hand tools and it is an easy replacement.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Nah. If yours is anything like most, all you need is

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLB-Cam-Lock-Barrel

And your key number. This assumes that your door key is a "purple" key.
Also, make sure to measure the length of the lock barrels currently on all your compartment doors. Some can be longer or shorter than others.

Some common hand tools and it is an easy replacement.
Is there a reason my method won't work? New "tumblers" for the keys I already have and they are $8 vs the $12.

I do have a purple key.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
Watch this YouTube video & you won't install tubular locks for security:

If somebody wants in they'll get in.
Thats why I said I am replacing for ease of use not for security. You can pop those doors off with a crow bar easily.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #16

While it is true tubular cam locks can be defeated IMHO they are better than standard keys. I rekeyed my entire camper with tubular cam locks keyed alike. I also replaced the butterfly latch on the outside storage doors with cam locks. It took a total of 11 locks, but that includes changing the 2 locks on the swing-out tool boxes in the truck. I also have an alarm on the outside storage lockers that screams bloody murder if not turned off prior to opening the door.
Old Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
I don't like the lack of security for our camper. The key everyone seems to have for their storage would lead right under my bed and into my camper. So I am looking at what my options are to replace all locks to be keyed alike. Is this something a locksmith can do? Or can I order something online and DIY?

I am not nearly as concerned with fellow campers as I am at the storage lot.

Thanks!
All locks being keyed alike would be great and understand having a unique key from others.
Our storage door locks failed the first year and dealership said they repaired but did not.
Gave me the opportunity to remove the lock tumblers and machine my own key. I don't think anyone else has a key like ours.
With this said, think about any lock system, a lock only keeps the honest, honest.
Thank goodness there are a lot of honest people out there.
Once in a blue moon I lock the storage doors but am in a situation where our RV is either in a campground or on our property.
The way our RV's are built, a pry bar is the master key for the unscrupulous.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:38 AM   #18
Camping the Natural State

That's one of the great features I love about my Rockwood. Everything including the outside shower and storage areas are keyed the exact same. 1 key fits all.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #19

I think he has the slam doors with clam latches. No way to change the locks in them. Even lock smith told me no way to get barrel out.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

I called RVlocksandmore.com. I can get everything keyed alike.

I need to chose a G3xx code (ideally one I already have so it's one less lock to change) then order a mastered cylinder for any paddle locks and non-mastered for any deadbolts.

Then a new Hatch Key Lock for the outside shower.

A new Cam Lock for any storage doors after I measure mounting surface to end of threads.

And finally rent their Rekey tool. Looks like it should take me less than an hour to get all the locks replaced.

Tags
lock