Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 PM   #1

Insulate water pipes

I was thinking of insulating all my pipes in the 5ty wheel basement and areas i can access with pipe insulation. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Would it help prevent pipes from freezing?
kevinB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:28 PM   #2

Given the disorganized way FR plumbs these things, I think you would be better suited to add a heat vent if possible.
2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Gasser
and a couple of those Harley things
sold: 2021 Graywolf 22RR
Cruzrtwdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #3

I stay on shore power so I have an extension cord running to a small ceramic heater that I keep in that compartment that seems to do well in my scenario. I plug this in to the extra outlet at the campground so it's not running through my power.
michaelhames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinB24 View Post
I was thinking of insulating all my pipes in the 5ty wheel basement and areas i can access with pipe insulation. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Would it help prevent pipes from freezing?
It might but if you don't locate and insulate the plumbing in areas harder to access, (in the underbelly, in floor joists, etc.) those places will freeze first anyway.

Plumbing lines inside a cabinet, basement or pass-through can/will freeze but have a secondary layer of protection just from being inside.

Low point drains, city water connections, outside showers, spray ports, fresh tank drains, residential refrigerator supply lines are always quick to freeze.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water