Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #21

So ofcourse I were to use the cap I'd just remove it from the overflow, fill the tank till water starts coming out the overflow then cap it back up. When I'm at the site can I just keep the cap on the end of the overflow and just use water through appliances as is normal or does the cap need to be removed again at any time. Does capping the overflow knowing that there is water above the overflow inlet in the tank cause any unnecessary risk to the tank itself.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #22

Not sure if this helps but I let it fill slow and once it starts overflowing try turning your pump on and run a little bit of water to stop it from siphoning?
Greywolf 26dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #23

So turn the pump on and open say the shower faucet or kitchen sink and see if it stops? Now before this when u see water coming out the overflow do u then shutoff the fill hose then turn the pump on and open some faucets.
Olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #24

Yes, actually have your pump on before you start, fill it, once you hear water coming out take the hose out and go turn a faucet on and off for a couple seconds and it should stop. Thatís what I did last time I filled it and didnít lose hardy any water. When I got to my campsite I still had a full tank. My first adventure I filled up the tank heard the overfill and just closed it all up by time I got to my campsite I had just about 2/3 in my tank. Not sure if my theory worked or I was just lucky not to lose as much the second time but doesnít hurt to try.
Greywolf 26dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Bernoulli's theorm most likely doesn't apply here because the fresh tank overflow is supposed to have a self closing fitting on the end of the tube. My overflow tube has a squashed rubber hose at the bottom end of it. When there's no water in the tube, the hose is flat and doesn't present an opening for air to flow over. Once water starts flowing out of the tube, the siphon effect keeps it going until the tank end of the overflow is above the water level.

Break the siphon and it'll never drain the tank. You will, however, still get some overflow caused by sloshing of the water in the tank.

Phil
Also, you'd need a real "nozzle" to get the air moving fast enough to provide enough suction. Normal air flow over the end of a tube won't suck water. (It might whistle, though!)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote