Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #41

Chuck - yes the "juice pack" is a factory wired 50w panel on the roof and a battery voltage monitor inside the camper. I think that's the extent of it.

With that said, and not trying to be argumentative... If you have the 12v refrigerator (I love ours, BTW, the size is awesome!), isn't the most cost effective answer to this isssue just to buy a small generator to keep the batteries charged? It looks like these deep cycle batteries are not cheap to upgrade your capacity, and a decently sized generator lets you run everything (AC can be a welcome thing...) as well as keeping the 12v circuits alive. The Harbor Freight 3500w inverter generator I have is very quiet, I can just toss it on the fold down back rack that came with my camper. Yeah I know most campgrounds have generator hours, but I think there should be sufficient time to keep the battery alive and then some. Relative to cost, it's probably less than a pair of deep cycle 6v batteries, upgraded solar panel capacity - and more flexible.
swamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #42

Even my amazingly quiet Honda generators are too loud and annoying. I'm betting any Harbor Freight genny is at least twice as loud. Neither is needed with a "proper" refrigerator.

-- Chuck
Old 06-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Even my amazingly quiet Honda generators are too loud and annoying. I'm betting any Harbor Freight genny is at least twice as loud. Neither is needed with a "proper" refrigerator.

-- Chuck
That's ok, the noise of my air conditioner running drowns out the generator noise...
swamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
Chuck, when it comes to the HF Predator 3500w inverter generator, you would be incorrect. For the price, it's a great choice and was as quiet as my Honda 2000i inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #45

We run a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter generator when we boondock, and we love it.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #46

How can I add a Renology suitcase 100w solar panel to the existing 50W panel? Can I add it to the factory installed solar controller or do I need to add a separate controller for the portable panel?
Topdog885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #47

These are available with their own controller for an extra $20. Since they're portable those with a controller are much more useful and not limited to use at the camper.

-- Chuck

Tags
camping