Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Last winterization question!

Alright guys one last question on the winterization process (for at least today haha). Everything is done, water heater bypassed and drained, system flushed of water, and antifreeze ran through every faucet until I saw pink. Once I began seeing pink through each faucet I turned the faucets off. Question is do I open each faucet and let ALL the pink run through the lines? Or leave all faucets closed so there’s still residual antifreeze in the line? Maybe this is just a preference one way vs the other? Thanks again to everyone helping a slightly nervous first timer wrap up the process!
Outdoorliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorliving View Post
Alright guys one last question on the winterization process (for at least today haha). Everything is done, water heater bypassed and drained, system flushed of water, and antifreeze ran through every faucet until I saw pink. Once I began seeing pink through each faucet I turned the faucets off. Question is do I open each faucet and let ALL the pink run through the lines? Or leave all faucets closed so there’s still residual antifreeze in the line? Maybe this is just a preference one way vs the other? Thanks again to everyone helping a slightly nervous first timer wrap up the process!
It’s your choice. It wouldn’t matter if there was antifreeze in the lines or air, as long as it’s not water. Seems like if you run ALL the antifreeze through the line, you are just wasting it. You do want to run enough out the faucet so the sink or shower trap also has adequate antifreeze in it. Or go along and pour a little AF in each trap to be sure there are protected from freezing.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

^^^^ Good advice. Different rvs require different amounts of the 'pink stuff'. It's not going to go bad in the bottle, so you can use the leftover next year.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

I may do a little Overkill when winterizing, but I first blow the lines out with air (I've got a 60 gallon air compressor in my shop) and then I fill/flush the plumbing with RV AF.

I run enough through each faucet to replace the water in the drain trap with AF. Our camper takes about 2 1/2 gallons to get it done.

No freeze damage anywhere yet.

Don't forget the outdoor shower!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter