Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #1

Led brake/turn signal lights

Is it possible to change the standard light bulb turn signal/brake light assembly to a brighter led type turn signal/brake light? Would the wiring be the same? Would I be able to do it myself? Or should I just leave them alone.

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

I just posted the same question last week and got many replies. Basically, you can replace the bulbs with no problem or as one person told me, he replaced the whole light assembly with an led light assembly from E-trailer, at a cost of about $50 for each light. I went with the bulbs, but, may go to the whole light at a future date if I keep my camper.
Hopes this helps, John
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

If you are worried about visibility you could always add a truck led light bar to the trailer. Simple fix with double sided tape and 4 wires tapped into existing lights or just under the trailer. I was not happy with how dim things were when driving.

I tried the LED replacement bulbs. They were dimmer than the stock incandescents when the running lights were on. This is both a bulb problem and a housing issue with no reflective properties. I swapped the factory housing taillights with these:

TMH ( Pack of 2 ) 6" 10 LED Surface Mount Oval Red Stop Brake Marker Tail LED Light, for Truck Trailer Trail Bus 12V DC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W3PR9C..._GvufEbA6NRM9H

The problem with swapping the lights is you need to patch the holes and then add a license plate light and mount. You are limited in placement based on the existing wiring hole as well.

I used these and a new mount:
CZC AUTO 2PCS License Plate Light, License Tag Screw Bolt Lamp, 12V White LED Bulb, Waterproof/Rainproof, Black Aluminium Light Holder, Legal for Car Motorcycle Truck RV ATV Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z6WQ6Q..._EyufEbZDE4YNF

Just think the whole thing through before you start or you will end up like me. I am happy with it now but the rabbit hole can get bigger...best of luck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_221832.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	221567Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_145555.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	221568

In all it took me maybe 2hrs including running to the store to get the license plate mount at the auto parts store. Pull your wiring to see what is there. I wanted to add turn signal and reverse lights but that is not possible. Reverse yes with wires but not seperate turn and stop signals without new TV wiring....truck bar solves this with regular 4pin wiring.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #4

That is why I am getting everyone's opinion, now. I haven't decided to do change them or not. Thank you
Old 01-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
That is why I am getting everyone's opinion, now. I haven't decided to do change them or not. Thank you
I changed all my bulbs with equivalent LEDs and also applied aluminum tape to background of each fixture for reflective puposes and got amazing light intensity.
Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

I think the red lenses have become dingy with ground in road grime. Maybe I'll just buy new replacement lenses and replacement led bulbs. If they make the replacement led bulbs that fit.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #7

LED bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
I think the red lenses have become dingy with ground in road grime. Maybe I'll just buy new replacement lenses and replacement led bulbs. If they make the replacement led bulbs that fit.
Alucke: Replacement lenses are always an option. There should be a replacement LED bulb for just about any incandescent bulb. I bought mine on Amazon.

Bytesponge
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Purchased these on Amazon for my old Jayco, exact match to the incandescent lights, not sure if the tail lights on your rig are the same.
Optronics RVSTLB0061P Red LED Tail Light - license plate bracket
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794NGJP2..._xwOfEbQDD1X6P
Optronics RVSTLB0060P Red Combination Tail Light - no bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794JFN78..._OAOfEbBDDFJRE

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #9

Here is a set, left and right, with License Plate bracket and illumination for less than $50.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RV-Camp...IAAOSw~4taYXOR

Have had them on our camper for 3 years, Perfect performance so far.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 AM   #10

They do make the replacement bulbs that fit. Just google the bulb number and you should get a list. Stay clear of the Bulbeats 800 Lumens 2pcs 54-BX as I had these and did not like them. I would try the aluminum tape and led replacement bulbs but check for reviews on brightness between running and brake lights (this was my problem). Would take a few minutes to swap. After that a few of those replacements that are the same size would be a simple swap and no holes to fill.

The other thing folks tend to run into with the led replacements on newer trucks is detection. Sometimes you need a resistor to outsmart the smart trucks...I would wait to see if you have a problem before adding them. Many of the replacement bulbs account for it already now.

4PCS ARTR 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UNG3EXQ..._lDRfEbTQG4A04
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
They do make the replacement bulbs that fit.
They do, but the problem is most often a poor connection from the taillight assembly socket to the bulb.

That w/issue will still exist if you only replace the incandescent bulb with an LED bulb.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #12

I tried the replacement bulbs first, and wasn't satisfied with their brightness. My trailer is old, so I opted to replace the entire fixture. The new LED fixtures are great, and they light up faster and brighter than the original incandescents. Wiring is the same, but LEDs are diodes, and the electricity only goes through one way. Before you tape up your connections, test to make sure they light. If not, reverse the wiring.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #13

LED bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I tried the replacement bulbs first, and wasn't satisfied with their brightness. My trailer is old, so I opted to replace the entire fixture. The new LED fixtures are great, and they light up faster and brighter than the original incandescents. Wiring is the same, but LEDs are diodes, and the electricity only goes through one way. Before you tape up your connections, test to make sure they light. If not, reverse the wiring.

Changed out all Taillight bulbs on my 2004 Class C with no problem. You have to order the correct led bulb that is a swap for the incandescent. If the housing has no reflective surface at back, put some sliver tape in there. That worked fine even on my newer rig. 2017 Pursuit. Just saying.

Bytesponge

Tags
led, light, turn signal