Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #1

LED's under awning are out

My LED light strip under my awning has some lights out. It's like some or shorted out of something. When I tap on them they flicker but don't stay on. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what have you done to fix it. Thanks
dvdj2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #2

I have it on 2016 272rl. Warranty out. 92.00 for parts I'm letting go till more go out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	142297
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #3

I had the LEDs go out over time until I ended up with about 2 feet that was working. My speculation is that, in order to save money, FR didn't use strips that were rated for outdoor use. I decided to replace them with a outdoor rated strip I bought off of Amazon. When I went to remove the old strip, it disintegrated. That, combined with the fact that they were glued down rather well, made the job tedious. Putting the new one up was easy. You have to be careful splicing the wires, because there isn't much wire to work with.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #4

Yeah that was my assumption as well. I'm noticing more and more that the quality control on these units is poor and they are being cheap wherever possible.
dvdj2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

I bought a replacement set at lightingever.com (link below), they sell indoor and outdoor 12 volt lights, where ever you order them from make sure you order them longer if you need to, the ones I bought could be cut every three set of lights to make them fit.

Shop 12V LED Strip Lights From Lighting EVER
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
I had the LEDs go out over time until I ended up with about 2 feet that was working. My speculation is that, in order to save money, FR didn't use strips that were rated for outdoor use. I decided to replace them with a outdoor rated strip I bought off of Amazon. When I went to remove the old strip, it disintegrated. That, combined with the fact that they were glued down rather well, made the job tedious. Putting the new one up was easy. You have to be careful splicing the wires, because there isn't much wire to work with.
BGKirkham, How did you go about installing the replacement light kit. I can see where the wires enter but it appears that you have to remove the pop rivets at the end of the awning to get to the connection point. I would be interested if you have any other insight on how to do so without taking the awning apart.
fly_daddy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Just cut the wires and splice to the new ones.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #8

I recently had my lights short out and burned the plastic track that it fits in if you have a solera awning go to lci1.com if it is a lippert awning call them and ask for dan in anwings the costumer service was excellent
gickes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Thanks. Thought about doing that but when I look at how the light strip is installed it is mounted in a channel in the main roller mechanism. I can see the wires but they appear to be covered. What I was trying to find out is how remove the light strip itself. Can it be removed at any point over the length of the strip or does it have to be pulled out from one end. If the latter is the case then the only way I see to do so is to drill out the 3 pop rivets to be able remove the end cap.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

Ours is a Dometic 9100 series awning.

Tags
awning, led