Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

Let's talk tires

So this season I'm planning on buying new tires for our camper, its a 2017 274dbh. So luckily I have about 8,000 miles with the stock castle rocks, which is pretty good from other posts I've seen. But I have always kept them covered and I keep the camper on gravel so they don't sit in water.
So what is everyone running on theirs? I've heard good things about the Goodyear's, but most of our other trailers not campers are running Carlisle. Most of our camping is in pretty bad road conditions consisting in rough dirt roads lots of rocks, mud, and sometimes deep snow. I was hoping to put a load range E tire for the strength and durability aspects but haven't seen any in the tire size I need which is 205/75/15. The closest I can get is a 225/75/15 in a load range E, which adds almost an inch in height and also almost an inch in width. Has anyone done this?
Anxious for the feed back, and thanks in advance.
Bedlinedf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 AM   #2

Your question was missing the tires size that you currently are using.
My TT came with ST225/75 15 in load range C - which is barely minimum.
I bought the Endurance load range E - and could not be more pleased.
Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Brake is on left

You can go with E rated but ....
GTW on your unit is around 8,000 lbs, so that puts your tongue weight at about 1,100 pounds. Give or take. This leaves 6,900 lb on the tires. The D rated tires are spec'd at 2,040 ea/ 8,160 set. That makes the capacity 15% more than your GTW.
FWIW, I used Carlisle Radial Trail HD in that same size for a number of years. Went through two sets and the new owner is still using them. I went with them because they have a higher speed rating which means they deal with heat better.
Ah, one last thing: if you did go with the larger E rated tires they might need a wider wheel.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Your question was missing the tires size that you currently are using.
My TT came with ST225/75 15 in load range C - which is barely minimum.
I bought the Endurance load range E - and could not be more pleased.
Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
My current and original tire size is 205/75/15
Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
You can go with E rated but ....
GTW on your unit is around 8,000 lbs, so that puts your tongue weight at about 1,100 pounds. Give or take. This leaves 6,900 lb on the tires. The D rated tires are spec'd at 2,040 ea/ 8,160 set. That makes the capacity 15% more than your GTW.
FWIW, I used Carlisle Radial Trail HD in that same size for a number of years. Went through two sets and the new owner is still using them. I went with them because they have a higher speed rating which means they deal with heat better.
Ah, one last thing: if you did go with the larger E rated tires they might need a wider wheel.
I understand that the load range E are more than adequate, and range D is good enough but I'd prefer the stronger tire.
The rim width I'm aware of also unfortunately I'm not sure what that is until I have one of the wheels off and can see what's stamped on the rim. The range E tires are saying at least a 5.5 inch width rim.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
I understand that the load range E are more than adequate, and range D is good enough but I'd prefer the stronger tire.
The rim width I'm aware of also unfortunately I'm not sure what that is until I have one of the wheels off and can see what's stamped on the rim. The range E tires are saying at least a 5.5 inch width rim.
Nothing wrong with that! I understand where you are coming from. Have you measured the clearance of your existing tires when loaded? A 1/2" radius doesn't sound like much but the width may be tough.
Good luck man!
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:57 AM   #7

We have a 2017 27dbh as well - we ran over 5,000 km on the Chinese tires and had no issues. It was the date of the tires that made us go "hmmm" (the dates were of the 2014 time....when we bought the trailer, we were noobs at the date coding - obviously our dealership put older tires on..LOL - now you bet your bippy we look at those dates all the time! lol)

We went with the Goodyear and found that the trailer tracked well, and stayed behind our truck better than the old tires. We will get the Goodyear tires again when we need them.

2017 Cherokee 27dbh - gone, but not forgotten
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 - tow vehicle
2017: 30 nights; 2018 - 15 nights; 2019 - 22 nights; 2020 - 2 nights before the storm!!
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:10 AM   #8
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlinedf250 View Post
I'd want at least a 6-inch wide wheel for the 225 tires. Good insurance if you're travelling off the asphalt. Got about 8K kms on that GY Endurance tire. Happy with em.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

I have seen the Grey Wolf has an adventure package which lifts trailer 2 inches and comes with aggressive tread (like snow tire). Any thoughts on these tires?
Buckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

So just to keep updated on the situation, I didn't go with the load range E tire. After talking to my trusted tire guy I stuck with the D tires because of the width. He said it wouldn't be safe because the tire would be more rounded where the tread is and would not carry weight as good as if the tread were to be flat. But it turns out the camper only came with load range C tires which amazes me because I'm not sure the tire limits are with in the max load limit of the trailer.
So here's a new question for anyone that can answer. I kept 2 tires because the tread was still very good and no signs of cracking and I want use them as plan B and plan C spares. I figure you can't have to many spare tires when in the mountains. Anyways anyone know the specs of the rims, as far as back spacing or bolt pattern? I'm need to purchase 2 rims for the tires so if anyone happens to know that info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tags
tire, tires