Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Lippert Insight Camera

I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf DBH-L. Towed with a 2012 F150 Supercrew with 6.5ft bed.

Trailer came with the Lippert Insight back up camera installed. I get power to it and have connect through one control app. I can get a good picture when I am at the back of camper. In the truck, it completely freezes.

Does the range on this just suck? Or is there a trick to making work? It’s basically a useless thing at this point.
docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #2

Observation Camera

We just picked up our rig a few weeks ago and I read that a few people were unhappy with the range of the stock camera. I had the dealer install an aftermarket camera and monitor; it works great. Very easy to install.

I hope this helps
Malonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #3

I also have this camera. The camera feed when working close to the camera has a pink tint. When I am in my truck(Ford F150/6 foot box) I don't get a WIFI signal from the camera.
Topdog885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

I have the same issues I got a long range antenna but didn’t seem to make a difference still bad service in the truck and pink hue everywhere even standing 2 feet from the camera.
KPR108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #5

My dealer contacted Lippert about the problems I have had with this camera (pink tint and limited range). Lippert told my dealer that many of the new cameras have th e pink tint and their engineers are working on a fix. Both of the cameras I received (one replacement) have exhibited the problems. Hopefully Lippert addresses this issue ASAP or send us all different camera brands.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Miles to go

Join the masses! I think there might be a handful since production that actually work because everyone else has had problems with the image being fuzzy and pink and the software not working. It's an ongoing problem that I think is giving up on. They say they're working on it and put you on hold for a few months. Good luck
Gargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #7

I contacted Terry at Forest River about the problem and told him Forest River should have tested the camera before they shipped to the dealers. I told him it was a safety issue not having the camera working. He told me to again contact my dealer and ask them to contact Forest River Parts about getting a Furrion or Driven camera system. My dealer told me he contacted the parts department and was waiting on Forest River. I will give them another week to see if there is a resolution and they send me another camera system. My RV is less than 2 months old.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdog885 View Post
I contacted Terry at Forest River about the problem and told him Forest River should have tested the camera before they shipped to the dealers. I told him it was a safety issue not having the camera working. He told me to again contact my dealer and ask them to contact Forest River Parts about getting a Furrion or Driven camera system. My dealer told me he contacted the parts department and was waiting on Forest River. I will give them another week to see if there is a resolution and they send me another camera system. My RV is less than 2 months old.

I’m going to try this.
docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docster View Post
I’m going to try this.
Did you have any luck? I'm looking into replacing the stock Insight camera and would love to have some feedback regarding any "upgraded" camera that was installed. I'm considering the Furrion Vision S model as it claims to have a range of 492'.
SDTTLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #10

I finally got the camera replaced with a Furrion Vision S. It took a BBB complaint to get any action. After I initiated the complaint my dealer called and said Forest River was replacing the Insight Camera with the Furrion Vision S. I installed it and it seems to work great.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #11

I am having the same issue. I have a wolf pup and a Tacoma pulling it so it's not that long but I have never been able to get the camera to work once I try to access it from the cab. I thought maybe it was because I was using an Android phone. Has anyone had better luck using an iPhone? I was going to try and borrow an old iPhone from a friend to see if it works better.
Guess I'll call the dealer for a replacement if that doesn't work. I'm extremely frustrated I've it because that's one of the reasons I bought this, it came with a backup camera.
pnkdmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #12

I’m having the same issue with my 365pack16. If I’m more than half way between the back of the trailer and the drivers door I have no connection.

The dealer was like “yeah, they suck and Forest River doesn’t seem to care”.
2003 R-vision Trail Bay (sold)
1997 Rexhall Aerbus (sold and greatly missed)
Fat fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:42 AM   #13

Initiate a BBB Complaint against Forest River. That is what I had to do to get a camera replacement. Forest River hopped when I did the complaint and sent a new camera to my dealer to replace. I received a Furion camera within a week of doing the BBB complaint.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #14

Hey Topdog, how hard was the switch from the Insight to the Furion? I just got my first trailer and I’d like to make the switch without messing something up. Do you use the same wiring? Is the existing mount compatible with both cameras or do you have to drill new holes? Do you just turn on the furion monitor after you turn on the tow vehicle and it auto connects back to the camera or do you have to continuously paint them?

Sorry about all the questions, but I’d like to know what I’m getting into before I order something.

Thanks!
packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #15

Real easy swap. Just connect Red to Red and Black to Black wires. The furion has a base to attach to the trailer. You may need to put in different screw holes, but mine matched up perfect. You then need to use silicone caulk to attach the camera to the trailer. Make sure you test the system before you caulk. The camera comes paired with the monitor.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #16

Much appreciated!
packfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #17
Happy Camper

You think the Lippert is bad, but it is what replaced the Driven camera that some of you hoped to get the Lippert replaced with. lol For the 2021 model year they started including the "Cherokee Backup Camera System" as part of the Limited package, but about the time they did it was when they started having supply chain issues getting them. So half the 2021's coming off the line they didn't bother installing any camera and just included the usual prep while you paid the same price for your TT as when it was included. But then folks who actually got the Driven cameras had a hard time getting them to work at all...they had a separate monitor you kept in your tow vehicle and not a phone connection like the Lippert. Folks could rarely get a good signal in normal circumstances, and the longer the trailer you had, the worse it was. On top of that, the Driven cameras that actually could hold a signal wouldn't hold one over more than 5 MPH, so they were useless once you started moving. I took delivery of my unit in April, and its manufacture date was in October 2020. Mine came with only the camera prep. When I mentioned it to my dealer, they tried to tell me that the power tongue jack was given to me to make up for the missing camera, but I pointed out that the tongue jack was included in one of the other special packages that my 29TE came with. They relented and gave me a Furrion S camera with the 5" display and it is excellent. Haven't had a single issue with it that wasn't due to user error.
BrentD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #18

Exclamation Fix for Lippert Insight Camera Problem

Had the same issue that the Lippert B/U camera only worked when standing behind the Trailer. With the camera's low WIFI signal output and the Forest River mounting so antenna is mostly below the top of the trailer, I found I had to run a 50 ohm (low signal loss) wifi coax cable (with SMAs connectors and SMA to SMA-R adaptors) from the camera on back to the furthest point forward along the gutter and mount the antenna with a home made bracket. That way I get a line-of-sight between the antenna and the driver position in the truck cab with only some signal loss. At least now, I get to see that blurry, pink tinged, 1/10 second delayed image which is suitable aid in backing up. I still use my co-pilot walking behind while on the phone as the prime! If you want better, plan on spending $500 for a system that doesn't rely on WIFI and its shortcomings.
OMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #19

I've not had the exact experience you all are having as my system now functions as it should, however I was able to make a few discoveries that may help.

1) The antenna was improperly installed to the camera body. What I mean is the method of threading the antenna onto the camera was performed by gripping the antenna stem and screwing it on. This twisted the antenna wire inside the stem which broke the wire. All WIFI antennae (with the exception of remote antennae) have the ability to swivel independent of the threaded collar, but they are not infinitely able to swivel. In my situation I can only imagine the operator threaded the antenna on by gripping the antenna and not the threaded collar. I took an antenna from an old router I had layout around and the reception is flawless.

2) The pink image issues might be able to be adjusted by accessing the camera setting, not the app settings, but the settings in the camera when viewing your camera. When you're in the settings adjust the "Chroma" and "Saturation" and see how it effects the image color.

Hopefully this helps.

ETA: I've also read that some trucks (Chevy/GM) with LED TV lights have low current being supplied to the TT lights/camera. Installing a load resistor to this circuit has claimed to solve the low current issue.

Tags
camera