Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Maiden voyage of our new TT

Went on our first trip in our new Wolf Pup 14CC to Punderson State Park in Ohio. Been there many times in our old popup, and met with some friends we often camp with. First surprise was the pad had a bit of a slope toward the front, so my friend texted me that I might need a couple extra leveling blocks. Threw in the wood blocks I had under the tongue jack from my driveway and we were on our way.

First surprise was I hadn't filled the water tank all the way, and didn't know what to expect. Kept waiting to hear the water gurgling up the filler pipe as it did on my popup. Nope, it started overflowing down below. Uh oh! Got underneath and saw it was not leaking, that's the thing that tells you it's full. OK, got it!

Got it parked, and as I'm trying to raise the front, realize that I need more leveling blocks. Tried 3 times, each time I would reach the limit of the jack, and still not quite there yet. Finally got 4 blocks of wood under it, and got it level. Whew, thought this would require less cranking than the popup!

By the following morning, discovered that the tank indicators are a joke. The 23 gallon gray tank is showing 2/3 full, and the 26 gallon fresh tank is showing empty! What?? We were being sparing, and the 11 gallon fresh tank on the popup would easily last 2 days with plenty left over. Crawled underneath, and I see the fresh tank is still quite full.

Wife and I got to try out our new shower, and other than somebody forgetting to pull the curtain over (who could that be ), it was nice not having to run to the shower house.

Getting ready to leave, it was time to use dump for the first time. Yes, there was a line. Surprisingly uneventful though, had the hose ready, dumped both tanks, and no mess, no fuss.

Got home, determined to figure out this gray tank indicator. First, figure out how many blocks I need to get the thing completely level in my sloping driveway. Found a length of treated 2x10 in my garage, since the hunks I had been using for years were rotting. Get 5 blocks under it, crank it up, reach the end of the jack, still not level. What to do.... Found some 2x6 and figured if I cut a length to prop up the tongue, then I can raise the jack, add more boards under it, and raise it up. In the end, it took 8 hunks of 2x10 to get it level!

Got out a bucket, and found out it only takes 4 gallons in this 23 gallon tank to register 2/3 full. Added 10 more gallons, still says 2/3. Well, at least we weren't in any danger of overflowing.

Only other snafu we ran into was turning on the furnace, and finding out the copious amounts of sawdust I found covering the furnace had in fact fallen inside through the openings and was burning off. It did start to smell a little funny, and then the smoke detector went off. Great... Used the electric heater for the rest of the trip. Ended up snaking some tubing stuck in my shop vac to pull the wood scraps and sawdust out of it. Honestly, you have to wonder what kind of people are putting these things together. Good thing it's not my first one, and I kind of expected to find some poor assembly, but that's appalling. Think I've got it fixed though, ran it for a good half hour and it's not making any funny smells or setting off the smoke detector.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #2

Sounds like you need one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	279993
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Sounds like you need one of these:

Attachment 279993
Yea but he needs the electric tongue jack that has the corresponding holes in the upper tube.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yea but he needs the electric tongue jack that has the corresponding holes in the upper tube.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
It fits my manual crank tongue jack. In fact, it won't fit my electric tongue jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	279994 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1b.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	279995
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherman26 View Post
Went on our first trip in our new Wolf Pup 14CC to Punderson State Park in Ohio.
It did start to smell a little funny, and then the smoke detector went off. Great...
Sounds like you learned a lot on your first trip. It does get easier.

The furnaces tend to set off smoke detectors the first time because they are burning off chemicals from the manufacturing process. Sawdust is not normal, but they are assembling these things pretty quickly.

Unless you're running your refrigerator, you don't need to be perfectly level in your driveway. However, you will need good chocks so that it doesn't decide to move.

Hope you had a good time.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #6

Two seasons in a '21 16BHS and recognize a lot of what you described (silly tank level readouts, first time fresh water fill not seeing overflow underneath, ...).
For fall trips I swear by my desiccant wheel dehumidifier, which works at all temperatures and produces a little bit of heat too, helps circulating air and complements the space heater. Keeps windows from fogging up.
All things and price considered I've been pretty happy with the quality overall, have not had any big failures yet.
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #7

Ugh, trying not to get too discouraged by the teething difficulties. Trying to remind myself that these things are not known for excellent quality control, and I expected to find little problems. Adding the black tank treatment chemicals after we got home, was a little dismayed that water seemed to be leaking from the black tank and dripping off the frame.

After letting it dry out, hooked up to the city water connection again today. After flushing the toilet a couple times, water is dripping off both sides of the black tank at a pretty good rate. Look behind the toilet, and I see the water supply line is wet and leaking. Tightened it up, and the drips from underneath slowed way down. Flushed a few more times, and it doesn't seem like that caused an increase. Really hoping that's all it was.

I feel bad for the dealers, I'm finding out that the already questionable quality of new RVs is especially poor right now. My wife and I noticed there was a little tear in one of the window screens during the walk through, which I could easily fix myself. Then again, we're plunking down a chunk of change on a *NEW* RV. There shouldn't be holes in the window screens on a NEW RV. Called the dealer back today to ask about the screen which I had already brought to their attention, and they confirmed that they did get the pictures I sent them, but they are swamped with warranty repairs and trying to get through them. Really hoping I don't have to add a faulty black tank to their workload, but it looks like fixing the drain between the toilet and the black tank would be a major undertaking that I'd rather leave to somebody else.