Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #1

Mattress upgrade

Any suggestions on a replacement mattress for the 26dbh? The mattress that comes with the TT is garbage. The flat platform beneath does not help the matter. Maybe it's just me. I'm used to sleeping on an air mattress when we tent.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #2

We didn't replace the garbage mattress, we just put a foam topper on top of the mattress, in our case one from Costco. It made all the difference in the world, and was much less expensive to boot.

Ray
Old 02-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #3

Memory Foam Topper

We put a topper over it also. Under $150, way cheaper than the 2 grand a decent mattress would have cost. Have you priced a new mattress lately?! And ours is a full size queen and not a special sized camper version.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:05 AM   #4

Zinus green tea memory foam gel infused. Can get them on Amazon and available in several sizes and thickness. We had used one in a camper and liked it so much we got a king version for the house.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #5

If it is a full queen just get a topper which many like or for a few hundred bucks you can get a mattress in a box. I got this one, very happy with it
https://www.amazon.com/PrimaSleep-Mu...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Old 02-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #6

We tried a mattress topper which was an improvement. However, we ended up ordering a 10" mattress from Brooklyn RV Bedding and the comfort is unbelievable. We've both been sleeping better and it sleeps at nice as our Tempur Pedic mattress at home. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #7

We did the 8" Zinus short queen memory foam mattress from amazon for under $200 and have been very happy with it.

The first weekend we took our new TT out, after the first night, i was online ordering a new mattress to replace the rock hard original mattress.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:37 AM   #8

how to get a king size mattress into a MH bedroom

One of the things we are changing the 2000 Windsong is the size of the mattress in the bedroom. We are loosing the walk around possibility by putting a king size mattress on the bed.
I am thinking that we will buy one of those memory foam mattresses that come all squished together because I can't imagine getting a regular mattress into the bedroom.
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
We did the 8" Zinus short queen memory foam mattress from amazon for under $200 and have been very happy with it.

The first weekend we took our new TT out, after the first night, i was online ordering a new mattress to replace the rock hard original mattress.
I just did a search for that mattress and I cannot find it for that price on Amazon. Was it and RV mattress or a regular mattress?
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
I just did a search for that mattress and I cannot find it for that price on Amazon. Was it and RV mattress or a regular mattress?
I looked back and we purchased ours in 2017 so has been a few years ago. It was advertised as an RV mattress, but search for a "short queen" will get you the same thing (assuming your mattress is that size). Both for the home and for RV(s), we have had good luck with zinus and lucid brands.

Found this one for $213
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-...4301884&sr=8-6

This one is $245
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-Inf...4301884&sr=8-5

found this one for $195 but not in stock until april.
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...4301884&sr=8-7
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #11

Went to a Sleep Number some years ago. DW likes 80 firmness, I like 95. There are other adjustable firmness mattresses out now.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Went to a Sleep Number some years ago. DW likes 80 firmness, I like 95. There are other adjustable firmness mattresses out now.
Sleep Number bed for your trailer? We have a SN bed at home and it makes it very difficult when we go tent camping. The difference is drastic. I love setting my side to 100 and then hitting my favorite setting and sinking into the bed. Best investment we have made.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
I looked back and we purchased ours in 2017 so has been a few years ago. It was advertised as an RV mattress, but search for a "short queen" will get you the same thing (assuming your mattress is that size). Both for the home and for RV(s), we have had good luck with zinus and lucid brands.

Found this one for $213
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-...4301884&sr=8-6

This one is $245
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-Inf...4301884&sr=8-5

found this one for $195 but not in stock until april.
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...4301884&sr=8-7
Thanks for the links. I will look into them.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
Sleep Number bed for your trailer? We have a SN bed at home and it makes it very difficult when we go tent camping. The difference is drastic. I love setting my side to 100 and then hitting my favorite setting and sinking into the bed. Best investment we have made.
Yes, for the 5'er. In fact, bought it at Camper World (on sale). It's a full queen and though it was advertised as an RV mattress, though other than size it is identical to the king SN in our home. I'm not sure whether or not there are modified versions for non-standard-queen RVs.

The only caveat is to remember to let some air out if you are heading up more than 1000 feet or so on your next leg especially if you run it close to 100. The unit may have an over-pressure release, but I've never been able to confirm that. I might open the compressor box someday. Also, once in a while the pressure changes noticeably due top temperature or an altitude change and needs to be reset. Well worth it though IMHO.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

What I like about my original mattress is how light it is. I can practically pick up this full size mattress with one hand. Important when trying to keep weight down. My wonderful Tempurpedic at home weighs a TON.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #16

Are Sleep Number mattress really that good? They look like an overpriced air mattress with a foam top. Never have tried one due to the cost.
Dirthawg_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirthawg_ View Post
Are Sleep Number mattress really that good? They look like an overpriced air mattress with a foam top. Never have tried one due to the cost.
We went that route due largely to recommendations from a neighbor and a family member ....... and getting tired of sticking old beach towels and blankets under our conventional mattress to take the ever increasing "hammock" out of it. And tired of the breaking down edges where I sit when dressing/undressing.

You'd never know the Sleep Number mattress is air. It feels for all the world like a conventional mattress that is adjustable. You can sit on the edge as much as you want without it breaking down. When one occupant gets into or out of bed, the other can't feel it. Our home unit is over 10 years old and feels like new. 25 year warranty.

I think I paid around $1000 on sale for the queen in the RV. There are now competitors that get good reviews. One I think uses an airbag in each spring or something like that.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #18

Just seen this place on a pop up. Looks like they got all the RV sizes
https://wildernessrvmattress.com/
Old 02-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
We went that route due largely to recommendations from a neighbor and a family member ....... and getting tired of sticking old beach towels and blankets under our conventional mattress to take the ever increasing "hammock" out of it. And tired of the breaking down edges where I sit when dressing/undressing.

You'd never know the Sleep Number mattress is air. It feels for all the world like a conventional mattress that is adjustable. You can sit on the edge as much as you want without it breaking down. When one occupant gets into or out of bed, the other can't feel it. Our home unit is over 10 years old and feels like new. 25 year warranty.

I think I paid around $1000 on sale for the queen in the RV. There are now competitors that get good reviews. One I think uses an airbag in each spring or something like that.
Thanks I will have another look. We have family members that have used them for the past 25 years.
Dirthawg_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #20

Went to ikea bought one of their mattress in a box type foam mattresses and put it on top of the serta innerspring that came with the tt. Way comfortable
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade