Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #1

Maxxair not working

The Maxxair exhaust fan in our bathroom on our 2019 Cherokee 26dbh was working fine at the end of last season. This spring my wife went to use turn it on during or first trip of the season and nothing! I checked fuse panel for any issues and found nothing wrong. Went on top of rig and looked for a safety switch and found nothing. All wiring looks good no issues found. Any suggestions?
SenateBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

I've not looked that close, but I'd try to bypass the switch. connect the two wires and see if the fan turns on. If it does, get a switch. If not, probably the motor.

Of course, the 2 switch control always messes with me....
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #3

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #4

check the switch, that's what it seems to be telling you...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

Got a voltmeter? You can get one free sometimes at Harbor Freight. You can't see electricity but, sometimes you can feel it! Electricity 101... start at one end of a circuit or the other, usually from the easiest point to access and work your way to the other end. In addition to what others posted. If your bath fan was wired like mine, it gets its power through the light switches. IOW both switches need to be on before the fan will operate. Maybe yours was set up like that as well. do the lights work?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, yes the lights do work. I haven’t check to see if getting power or not . I was looking to see if there was a “safety” switch somewhere that maybe stuck closed. The reason I think there is a safety cut off is because the vent had to be open before the fan would turn on. I have no clue about electricity so I am a little bit intimidated by it.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateBoss View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, yes the lights do work. I haven’t check to see if getting power or not . I was looking to see if there was a “safety” switch somewhere that maybe stuck closed. The reason I think there is a safety cut off is because the vent had to be open before the fan would turn on. I have no clue about electricity so I am a little bit intimidated by it.
I had a Starcraft that had the same problem. There is a grounding type plunger switch that the cover makes contact with that turns off the fan motor when the cover closes. The switch corroded and was stuck in the open position and was keeping the motor from coming on. You can either bypass the switch or replace the plunger switch. You can either order the switch from the fan manufacturer or you might be able to use one from a car alarm system.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
Site Team

X2 check the little switch that detects open/close. The pin can get crud around it and it will not pop out and complete the circuit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote