Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #1

Misc Stuff

Bought Cherokee 29U Bunkhouse in Feb. Taken on 2 trips tires are shot (about 4,000miles). Forest River tells me tires from factory are only good for about 5,000 miles. Also I have the rack on back of trailer with spare tire mounted to it. Just wondering if it's common practice to take tire off when the rack is folded down or if it's ok to leave tire on? Also was wondering if there are any modifications that can be done to auto tongue jack to be able to completely lower the tailgate? Currently have to unhook trailer at each stop to let the pooches out of the back of pick up to do there buisness.
dirtymule260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

I was told something different, They told me to look at the manufacturer date on the yellow sticker, when it hits 4 years, replace the tires. I'm on about a 6500 mile trip from Virginia to California, Oregon and back to Virginia. So far no problems with anything, we are in Amarillo Tx. right now. I let you know how they hold up. To Everyone GOOD CAMPING. I have a 2012 Rookwood model #8289 and we love it tows great
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymule260 View Post
Bought Cherokee 29U Bunkhouse in Feb. Taken on 2 trips tires are shot (about 4,000miles). Forest River tells me tires from factory are only good for about 5,000 miles. Also I have the rack on back of trailer with spare tire mounted to it. Just wondering if it's common practice to take tire off when the rack is folded down or if it's ok to leave tire on? Also was wondering if there are any modifications that can be done to auto tongue jack to be able to completely lower the tailgate? Currently have to unhook trailer at each stop to let the pooches out of the back of pick up to do there business.
OEM tires are not usually the best. They are rated for the max gross weight of the camper and typically not a pound over. They are also typically a bit "long in the tooth" age wise when you finally get them.

You can NOT tell the age of your tire by the manufacture date of the camper. My OEM tires were nearly 2 years old when I got my new right off the assembly line camper.

The date code molded into the tire will tell you the true age. (4 numbers in a molded oval) The first two numbers are the week it was made and the last two is the year. For example: 1209 would show a tire made in the 12th week of 2009.

There will also be a mold code right after the DoT that has 4 letters and/or numbers. That is the plant and country code. It will show where your tire was made.

Ultra Violet light is the enemy of the elastic compounds added to the rubber polymer that keep your tires flexible. Not covering your tires when not actually rotating (which circulates those elastomers) will lead to early drying out of your tire; causing "checking"; and ultimately failure.

As to the electric nose gear on your camper, I have been told that you can rotate the jack 180 degrees so the motor protrusion is on the other side allowing the tailgate door to be lowered. That might work for you.

The only time I needed my spare I just unbolted it and yanked it off.
The mount is designed to help you lower the tire to the ground, but I could not figure out how to get to the lug nuts once I did, so I ignored it as another example of bad engineering (or I was just too dumb under the circumstances to figure it out).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NTSC Tire brochure.pdf (513.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf RVTiresBrochure[1].pdf (1.98 MB, 16 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The only time I needed my spare I just unbolted it and yanked it off.
The mount is designed to help you lower the tire to the ground, but I could not figure out how to get to the lug nuts once I did, so I ignored it as another example of bad engineering (or I was just too dumb under the circumstances to figure it out).
You know, I've wondered that myself. This seems like a spot where the manufactures could save a little money by just putting a stationary mount, instead of the fold down mount, which doesn't work anyway. Unless like you, I'm just too dumb to see the benefits
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad