Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #81
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Unless someone can show me a photo of them actually weighing each and every unit at the factory, including the weight on the fork lift dragging the unit around I do not believe this line from the sales crew. Just wont, everyone in the industry knows it's just a estimate.
I agree they may have weighed one like it, but if any 2 units are the exact same weight on paper work that alone would be enough for me to call BS.
You should call a few dealers and ask them for the weights .. I bet every single unit in a year is the same weight.

Josh Haylett did a factory tour of the Rockwood plant; in this video he explains the weighing of trailers

the weigh part starts at 38:48. He states the rule by RVIA concerning weight listing. This is Rockwood, so Cherokee maybe one of the estimating brands but there are some that weigh each one off the line. I took a tour of this same plant back in 2018 and saw them being weighed at the end and the sticker was created right there and applied.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexglx View Post
No worries...You are NOT that guy. All input welcome. As far as weights of batteries and other items. Dealer says they weigh every unit before they leave the factory. To me that's a dry weight. The battery (1), manual jack, propane tank, all should have been weighed, if they actually weighed it. The sticker outside says that the cargo capacity is determined with the full tank of fresh water and the waste water empty. They erroneously said its 900kg cargo capacity. That's 1,980 #'s. There are so many inconsistencies its just a joke. They relied on this certificate of equipment that they swore was the final say in the matter. A document with sacred properties that is official. It said the trailer weighed 3,078.

I agree there may be a few pounds of water in the water heater after the first trip. Also I also agree that they probably printed stickers to a base spec and then added the adventure package without adding the weight to the sticker and deducting from the available CCC. It will definitely be a fight. Regardless of tow vehicle, this trailer may almost be too heavy for the 3,500# axle the sticker says it was built with. Without being attached to a vehicle, its already over the 3,877 GCWR for the trailer. 440# tongue + 3480 axle weight = 3920#s . We don't count the tongue weight since it is either on the jack or on the hitch. That means if I had a bigger tow vehicle I still could only carry ~400lbs of cargo. The sticker says I can carry 900kg.

Overall, its a big mess. The cargo capacity is insufficient for it to be of any use to me. I can reduce some weight but I paid for some of these accessories and removing them means they should buy those back. They had me take a picture of the sticker on the axle just the other day. Apparently they don't know what they built it with and maybe it has a heavier axle as the 15" tires seem to indicate. Can they just swap axles? Who knows? I appreciate the input regardless.
If this BHS unit came with 'juice pack' then battery is included from factory and would have been included with the 'dry weight'. But as pointed out the CCC & DW are both wrong on the outside sticker. IIRC, the door sticker showed DW of ~1600# which was also incorrect. From google search -
Dry Weight 3,097 lbs. Payload Capacity780 lbs.GVWR3,877 lbs. Hitch Weight 377 lbs.
In comparison my FQ has DW=3234#(door sticker) & matching number on the outside sticker. CCC=693# which as you pointed out includes full fresh H20 amts to 266#. GVWR=3944# from the sticker & 444 TW from FR Specs which I guess equals to the 3500# axle limit. Tires are 14",D rated at 2040#.
Seems that you are knowledgeable to see that the stickers are wrong and asked for the 'actual' DW but still relied on the paper specs and not an actual weight. I don't remember if you posted the axle sticker but usually 15" tires = 5k axle as some ppl has posted on different threads. Anyways, good luck, hopefully the resolution comes out in your favor.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #83

Keep in mind that every pound in the van, above a 150lb driver, is subtracted from the 3600 lb max tow rating. Passengers, coolers, dog, etc are subtracted. So unless you are traveling by yourself in an empty van, your actual tow rating is well under 3,600 lbs. Your weight stickers are messed up, but even at 3078 lbs plus gear for a family you would be exceeding your tow rating anyways.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, trailer, wolf pup