Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

Move batteries inside

I've got a 2020 Grey Wolf 26DJSE. Right now, the batteries are mounted on the exterior on the front frame behind the propane cylinders. They are in individual battery boxes to protect them from the elements.

I'm considering moving them into the front compartment so that I don't have to have them in boxes and can have easier access for future wiring project such as a shunt for a battery monitor, adding an inverter, and future solar.
I know a lot of RVs have batteries in interior compartments, but I'm not sure how isolated those are from the rest of the camper.

The front compartment of ours is under the head of the "master" bed. It's accessed through a side door, but is also accessible by lifting up the master bed mattress.

I'm not sure if there would be any concern with not having that compartment completely isolated in case of fire or other issues, such as chemical/off-gassing.
mk117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk117 View Post
I've got a 2020 Grey Wolf 26DJSE. Right now, the batteries are mounted on the exterior on the front frame behind the propane cylinders. They are in individual battery boxes to protect them from the elements.

I'm considering moving them into the front compartment so that I don't have to have them in boxes and can have easier access for future wiring project such as a shunt for a battery monitor, adding an inverter, and future solar.

I know a lot of RVs have batteries in interior compartments, but I'm not sure how isolated those are from the rest of the camper.

The front compartment of ours is under the head of the "master" bed. It's accessed through a side door, but is also accessible by lifting up the master bed mattress.

I'm not sure if there would be any concern with not having that compartment completely isolated in case of fire or other issues, such as chemical/off-gassing.
If you have regular Lead/Acid batteries they will need to be in boxes vented to the outside to prevent any hydrogen or other hazardous gases from venting into the interior.

Even AGM type batteries SHOULD be in vented boxes.

Only real exception would be LiFePo4 batteries which create no gasses while charging.

Sealed battery enclosures that can be vented outside are available from marine supply distributors. They do make batteries difficult to service when they need water however.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries