Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 AM   #41

Maxpower29, I just saw that you added a double propane tank. I've done a little searching and I'm wondering how the double propane tank frame attaches to the trailer frame; the single tank frame that is currently on my 18TO is welded.
Thanks for any help.
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
Maxpower29, I just saw that you added a double propane tank. I've done a little searching and I'm wondering how the double propane tank frame attaches to the trailer frame; the single tank frame that is currently on my 18TO is welded.
Thanks for any help.
It was really simple actually, maybe 45 mins of work. Just need a grinder with a zip cut wheel. Slowly cut the tacks and stitch welds until the are broken. Then you can just take the square piece out. I was very careful doing it and I actually ended up using the old piece for my TV mount because it needed to be off center to hit the stud.
After that I just took a flapper wheel for the grinder and buffed it all down smooth where I cut it, sprayed it with a few coats of black spray paint, and it was done. The dual propane mount is held on with just a couple self tapping screws they give you so it takes two seconds. I also used the two really long 1/4" (or smaller I cant remember) bolts the used to hold the round tank holder to bolt through the new mount also. I can take closer pictures if you need it
maxpower29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #43

Oh and as for the actual hookup I didnt bother with the dual attachment. I just added a $20 extension to the pigtail that was long enough to go under the tank cover and up to the one tank. We keep the other tank not hooked up because we use that to hook up to the BBQ and anything else we need. One small 20lb tank is usually enough to last us 5-10 days depending on use anyways because we rarely use the furnace
maxpower29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #44

Today I had the camper near a friends farm who had a large truck scale. I decided to run a few test to see what the weight of the camper was in a "typical load" condition. I had empty black and grey tanks and a near empty fresh water tank. The new storage drawers were fully loaded with clothing and all the bedding was in place. The kitchen was stocked with cast iron goodies and plenty of canned food. The Trailer is a 2016 model 16bhs

Total weight of the trailer was 3600 lbs and of that total 560 lbs was on the tongue.

So, my modifications did add a bit of weight but I am within limits especially after my tire upgrade to D rated tires. In fact, I had been storing some heavier items towards the front which I now will probably store in the rear below the bunks.
1201alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Oh and as for the actual hookup I didnt bother with the dual attachment. I just added a $20 extension to the pigtail that was long enough to go under the tank cover and up to the one tank. We keep the other tank not hooked up because we use that to hook up to the BBQ and anything else we need. One small 20lb tank is usually enough to last us 5-10 days depending on use anyways because we rarely use the furnace

Thanks, I'm going to make this mod when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201alarm View Post
Total weight of the trailer was 3600 lbs and of that total 560 lbs was on the tongue.

So, my modifications did add a bit of weight but I am within limits especially after my tire upgrade to D rated tires. In fact, I had been storing some heavier items towards the front which I now will probably store in the rear below the bunks.

I have a question about the weight of our trailers. I also am doing mods (that have been posted in this awesome thread) and I am concerned about overloading the axle. Do you by chance know the load rating, I also have replaced the stock tires to the higher load rating.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to make this mod when I get home.

I have a question about the weight of our trailers. I also am doing mods (that have been posted in this awesome thread) and I am concerned about overloading the axle. Do you by chance know the load rating, I also have replaced the stock tires to the higher load rating.
Thanks

On my BHS it's 3500 lbs. So with the tongue weight I am good. I think the toy hauler version has a much heavier 5000 lb axle
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #47

These are great ideas! I was thinking of adding a drawer under the bunks too. I am not good at staining wood so I was considering ordering a replacement cabinet door and building a drawer box. How hard was it to match the stain color of the cabinets? Is it worthwhile ordering a new door or is it doable matching the stain?

The biggest change I made was to install a wireless video/audio sender/receiver (https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...ds=wireless+av) so that I could watch DVDs using the installed Furrion player by the bunks on the TV I installed above the window next to the door - or for use when the TV is outside. To install this, I had to run power over to the area near the DVD player. I ran a wire from the outlet next to the dinette, up through the wall, into the cabinet and over. Installed an outlet behind the DVD player and plugged in the device. That transmits to the receiver which I hung on the back of the TV mount using a adhesive hook. While I was at it, I replaced that dinette outlet with an outlet that has USB ports.
davellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by davellie View Post
These are great ideas! I was thinking of adding a drawer under the bunks too. I am not good at staining wood so I was considering ordering a replacement cabinet door and building a drawer box. How hard was it to match the stain color of the cabinets? Is it worthwhile ordering a new door or is it doable matching the stain?

The biggest change I made was to install a wireless video/audio sender/receiver (https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...ds=wireless+av) so that I could watch DVDs using the installed Furrion player by the bunks on the TV I installed above the window next to the door - or for use when the TV is outside. To install this, I had to run power over to the area near the DVD player. I ran a wire from the outlet next to the dinette, up through the wall, into the cabinet and over. Installed an outlet behind the DVD player and plugged in the device. That transmits to the receiver which I hung on the back of the TV mount using a adhesive hook. While I was at it, I replaced that dinette outlet with an outlet that has USB ports.
What year is your Wolf Pup? This can all be done from the factory radio and factory ports located next to the door and outside, on newer models.
MMJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJGM View Post
What year is your Wolf Pup? This can all be done from the factory radio and factory ports located next to the door and outside, on newer models.
It's a 17. I have the cable/antenna and the 12v outlet. There's a standard plug above that. How do you do it? I was trying to figure that out - it doesn't make sense to have the two on opposite sides of the camper without a way to connect them.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #50

Quote:
It's a 17. I have the cable/antenna and the 12v outlet. There's a standard plug above that. How do you do it? I was trying to figure that out - it doesn't make sense to have the two on opposite sides of the camper without a way to connect them.
You should have a red, white, and yellow outlet by the front door. The yellow is video and the red and white are audio. These are run to the input to your TV. Outside, You have a yellow only, this is for the video input to your TV. You don't need audio, because the speakers outside play the audio. And of course, if you want to use the HD antenna, you use the coax jack. It is a very confusing system, but it works great. Let me know if you need more assistance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_132304.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	149677Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_132249.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	149678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_132230.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	149679
Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #51

I don't have anything on my cabinet. I only have the coax cable & 12v outlet then an electrical outlet above that. Above that are the exterior light switches. I do have a coax cable running into the furrion dvd player but can't figure out how to get a picture on the screen from that. There is sound through the speakers but no video with the coax. I've run a scan on the channels, changes sourcrs, etc.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #52

Quote:
I don't have anything on my cabinet. I only have the coax cable & 12v outlet then an electrical outlet above that. Above that are the exterior light switches. I do have a coax cable running into the furrion dvd player but can't figure out how to get a picture on the screen from that. There is sound through the speakers but no video with the coax. I've run a scan on the channels, changes sourcrs, etc.
The coax is for the HD antenna. The only video from the DVD player is on the yellow RCA jacks. There should be one inside and outside. You have to turn on the HD antenna with the little button on the coax jack itself. You can then get HD reception inside and outside. I believe you can turn the antenna off and back feed cable from the campsite into the camper. I have not tried this yet though.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #53

I had to add the audio/video jacks next to the door, I have the set outside and in the ceiling at the rear. When I added the coax at the front I put a splitter in the able going into the head unit to feed the new jack.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #54

Yah, I have the wireless RCA connected to the back plugs. That's when I noticed the coax cable coming in from the ceiling and connecting to the Furrion player in the back. Edited to add: I just figured out that the coax back there is for the antenna.

I don't have pictures of my trailer but this is the same unit:
https://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna...0746200211.JPG
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #55

Quote:
I had to add the audio/video jacks next to the door, I have the set outside and in the ceiling at the rear. When I added the coax at the front I put a splitter in the able going into the head unit to feed the new jack.
How did you run the wire? That sounds like a serious amount of work
Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #56

In my 2018 (EXACTLY the same as a 2017 except the dealer wanted more $$$) 18TO there is a coax cable that comes from the powered antenna to the head unit (white) then there is another coax cable that comes out of the head unit (yellow plug w/ coax adapter) that returns to the rear of the trailer to the stock a/v jacks (black). I just put a coax splitter in the coax running back to the stock a/v jacks.
At first I thought I was going to have to run a cable from the back but I figured everything out after a couple mistakes... lol
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #57

Quote:
The dark brown stain color is very easy to match. The trick is to not use stain but instead use dye.

I used J E Moser's alcohol soluble "Perfect Brown" aniline dye. Mix a teaspoon in a glass jar with alcohol. Let sit for a few hours to a day.... shaking often. Then wipe or spray on the wood. It dyes the wood dark brown... dries almost instantly and can be topped with water based varnish.

https://www.amazon.com/J-E-Mosers-Fi...+perfect+brown
Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #58

Hello, We just bought our 16BHS taking it to Myrtle Beach on Friday. Just double checking about mounting our tv above the queen bed. It appears most of you are mounting it there. I'm I good with just 1" lags or should I be using something else?
MrShoehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShoehorn View Post
Hello, We just bought our 16BHS taking it to Myrtle Beach on Friday. Just double checking about mounting our tv above the queen bed. It appears most of you are mounting it there. I'm I good with just 1" lags or should I be using something else?
I just used 1 inch course drywall screws. I used a small nail to locate the stud. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_132230.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	150794
Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShoehorn View Post
I've used 1 1/4 Lag bolts on the mount above that window.

Be careful in Myrtle Beach, in case hurricane Irma continues moving north from florida over the weekend.

South Carolina is still squarely in its path. And the strongest winds of a hurricane tend to be on its north edge. Irma could arrive by Tuesday as a potentially catastrophic hurricane, with winds stronger than 110 mph.

K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications