Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Nasty find

I bought a 2019 alpha wolf beginning of October. Had to pick it up and take it in for some work. Noticed mouse crap in the sink. Looked around a little more and found five (5). Yes five mice floating in my toilet. I had about 2 cups of antifreeze in there. And they drowned in it. We left a bag of dog food on there and that must had attracted them. I rarely get grossed out but this did it.

So what do you guys do to keep mice out. We forgot the dryer sheets. Won’t do that again.
ChrisMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Team

One of many recent threads with more solutions than you care to try.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ut-148016.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Mice were raising havoc in the old motor home we had.
Hot mess -- and sickening.
We live in the country -- lot of mice and rats.
Cats we have found to be the very best for this problem.
Not one mouse to be found alive around here in a long time -- cats hate them.
Or love them????

Get on the ball or they will wreck your bedding, couch and everything.
MB
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

Need to find something. They gotnin at the storage lot so a cat is not an option. But on a positive note the toilet killed them all. Will be putting more antifreeze in there. Had maybe 2 cups. They drowned in there. There was evidence that they moved around but nothing crazy. Did not find any nests.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Best thing to do is find where they are getting in.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Ditto what cavie said. Check the penetrations through the floor around plumbing, etc and fill any gaps with spray foam. If you have an underbelly seal the edges with foil tape. Put a copper scouring pad in the electric cord port and be sure to close the cover, mice can chew threw screens and steel wool, or so I've read. When I bought the unit used there were dryer sheets EVERYWHERE, so I'm assuming the previous owner had had a mouse problem. Since I did the foam and foil tape I haven't had any mice, knock on wood.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

I've found that as long as there is no food for them, I've never had a problem. Through 8 years of owning a popup and TT, as long as we cleaned the camper out of any food mice could get to and gave it a good cleaning, I've yet to find a mouse or signs of them. When I say "mice could get to" I mean we don't remove unopened glass jars or canned food. Everything else goes inside. I have put decon in cabinets near holes for water lines and electrical cables in the floor yearly (Kitchen, Bathroom, electrical area, etc.) but never had any of them disturbed.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

Hey Chris,

Just received a letter from FR for my Alpha Wolf.

They have a recall for the fasteners used to mount the awning arms to the sidewall.

Dealership will inspect and replace as nessessary.

Dated 11/14/2018
Cdj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

It's almost impossible to keep a mouse out if they want in. It's amazing how small of an opening they can get through- and what they can chew through. Best line of defense- as other have mentioned- is to clean up and remove ALL food. And get some outside cats. And don't overfeed the outside cats. We know people that claim that they've researched and "well fed" cats are better mousers. They have fat cats and mice. We take care of ours, but let them keep enough appetite that they want to actually hunt and eat the mice. And to the OP- be very glad you had the antifreeze in there. If it was water you'd have had significant odor.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Best thing to do is find where they are getting in.
X1000...and NO FOOD or crumbs left in the unit.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

X1000 again about where they are gettin in.

Also, i woke up one morning to the sound of chewing. Right thru the metal mesh filter in the exhaust fan. As i locked in to the location and got there, he was in and running.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdj1990 View Post
Hey Chris,

Just received a letter from FR for my Alpha Wolf.

They have a recall for the fasteners used to mount the awning arms to the sidewall.

Dealership will inspect and replace as nessessary.

Dated 11/14/2018

Thanks, I received it as well. trailer already at the dealer getting a scratched door replaced. they are going to fix the awning as well.

For the record, the dog food was left on accident. I never leave food, even between trips.