Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Need information/help with roof warranty/repair

I have a 2019 Cherokee Patriot Edition 27RR, bought new in 9/2018. Following the advise of many on the forum, I did the roof maintenance this spring, using Dicor on any areas that appeared to be points of possible water intrusion. I then used Eternabond all around the perimeter of the roof, overlapping onto the top of the sides. There has never been any water leak, but I wanted to stay ahead of the game. On 7/31/2020, while towing to Sturgis, I could see some billowing of the roof. It is not severe, but I would like to have it fixed before it is catastrophic. I have emailed both Cherokee email contacts listed on their website, and the only information I have received is that we are out of warranty (the camper has 1 yr, but the roof has 12 yr). I have spoken with the service department where we bought the trailer (9 hours from home), and they could not give me any specific information on coverage under the 12 year roof warranty. I also spoke with the dealer an hour away who did out warranty fixes, and they advised I speak with Cherokee. I have left a voicemail with the Cherokee division of FR, with no return call.
Can anyone tell me what the 12 year warranty on the roof covers, and how to get the needed repairs done? I have been very patient with Cherokee, but my patients is running out. Any help appreciated.

2019 Patriot Edition 27RR
2012 2500 Ram Diesel
2016 Harley Ultra Limited CVO
akdj1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

The 12 year warranty is not with FR, it's from the roof membrane manufacturer.
If the the membrane failed, the membrane manufacturer should cover it.
If the failure was along the caulking seams, then FR/Cherokee might cover it. But you would need to prove that it was installed improperly.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Team

As Dan said the 12 yr warranty is for membrane failure only. The installation is covered under the 1 yr warranty. Unfortunately what you have is an installation failure. Unless you can get your insurance to pay for it, you're going to have a pretty hefty bill for that repair.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
As Dan said the 12 yr warranty is for membrane failure only. The installation is covered under the 1 yr warranty. Unfortunately what you have is an installation failure. Unless you can get your insurance to pay for it, you're going to have a pretty hefty bill for that repair.
Yeah just to clarify what these people are trying to tell you, the 12-year warranty is for the rubber roof membrane only, not the adhesive or the material under or any of the caulking or ceiling around the perimeters. So you have ballooning of your roof membrane caused by the adhesion releasing from underneath the membrane. This goes back to a manufacturing problem and it's not related to the actual membrane itself. well you could still try to talk to the roof manufacturer to see if they have any sort of Goodwill warranty for the instance like this where a manufacturer does a poor job of installing their roof material, you're not likely to see anything from that. then you can also go to the manufacturer of the unit and see if they will offer any sort of Goodwill coverage outside of the one year warranty on their work, but again you're not likely to see much there. That leaves you with your comprehensive insurance from your insurer.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

When all else fails , it will be up to you ! What I have done when the fabric is loose is use brass upholstery tacks , 3/8 ths inch or half , nail down all that is loose and cover with Dicor or some such . I have two trailers that have stood up for years . What ya do not want to do is drive around with the bubble getting bigger and tearing away from the sides and seals .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

Who is roof manufacturer?

I appreciate all of the replies. What I have not been able to figure out is who manufactured the roof. As I said, Cherokee/FR would only say that it was outside of their 1 year warranty, but not who or how the roof warranty works. I will probably figure out a DIY fix, but that is totally beside the point. How hard would it have been for a FR rep to explain what you nice people have? And I would still like a chance to speak to someone at the roofing supplier if anyone has contact info.
Thanks, Angi

2012 2500 Ram Diesel
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Call Cherokee and ask them specifically which roof membrane is on your unit. They should tell you that.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Team

You should have paperwork in your owner's manual packet, with something from the roof membrane manufacturer. Both my trailers did and it stated roof membrane maintenance and the warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Once all is said and done and you find the roof membrane has NOT failed and there is no warranty fix, personally I would go from side to side 3 or 4 times with 3 or 4 inch wide Eternabond tape over the affected area. Then use the upholstery tacks fix mentioned above, then put a 2 inch wide strip of Eternabond over the first strip and the tacks to completely seal the repair and membrane intrusions. Maybe look for some very small 3/8ths long screws instead of tacks.

Since you mentioned you already used Eternabond, you know how well it seals and sticks to roof surface.

I am just thinking out loud how I might do this repair... I have not yet had to do anything like this... so good luck to you however you approach this repair issue.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

Might consider small screws with fender washers to distribute the load
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Perhaps I'm missing something but is the membrane blowing up because air is getting underneath it somehow? You stated you recently did all that work with the tape on the edges, etc. Has one of those points failed? Could you post some pictures of the area in question? Going off what I envision is going on before tacking anything down I'd see if I could inject the proper adhesive under this area first them put some weight to hold it down. Afterwards once cured perhaps tacking it then the rest to secure it from water.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
because air is getting underneath it somehow
wind billowing and raising ( because of lift like an airplane wing) of the roof membrane at highway speeds is a fairly common occurrence, especially in warmer weather and has been posted about here a few times... I have seen this condition on the highway a few times myself, usually on trailers going the opposite direction then me

To the OP...

you need to seal the penetrations of those screws, which is why I recommended the double layer of Eternabond tape, first layer helps to seal the membrane penetration and the second seals the screw-heads for good...

another option is to slit the membrane in small slits and inject a compatible glue under the membrane, then Eternabond the surface...

Personally I would look for some screws and some washers, or a strip of aluminum, or thin stainless or copper with strip of tape over the surface

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #13

I think I would slit it, glue it, eternabond it and trim the eternabond with Dicore.

If I was feeling really froggy, I would apply Tropi-cool RV roof sealant over the entire thing and be done with it.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #14

I noticed roof lifting along edges and transition of class C motorhome. TPO roof. I used a long needle glued transition back down. Eternabond the edges over gutter rail screw covers. Then came up with idea that air was coming in from under gutter rail. Caulked under them with Dicor. Used it under the awning with it out had checked some of the screws holding gutter rail on previously. Left it out for about 6 hours. Put awing in and some of the caulking cracked. I think the electric awing is pulling out the bottom of the gutter rail a little. That is where they usually cut the roofing material. It has been 3 trips I think problem solved. Will keep checking. Just have to make a extension for the dicor tube out of copper to touch up under the awning.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something but is the membrane blowing up because air is getting underneath it somehow? You stated you recently did all that work with the tape on the edges, etc. Has one of those points failed? Could you post some pictures of the area in question? Going off what I envision is going on before tacking anything down I'd see if I could inject the proper adhesive under this area first them put some weight to hold it down. Afterwards once cured perhaps tacking it then the rest to secure it from water.
Like I said and others afterwards, its best to use whatever method you feel comfortable with but I'd make sure that you use some means and get a good coverage of adhesive under as much as you can and make sure some weight is placed on top of it till it cures then tack, tape bond to finish it off. Let's us know what you did and please include pictures of what the final result so others can learn if they have something similar. The forum, IMHO, is not only a place to get help but in turn help others. Thanks
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #16

How large is the area affected and where on the roof is it located?

Another possible fix withouot any tacks or screws and fender washers would be this:

Outline the area where it is loose. Start at the Front right and slit the roofing from front to rear the distance the roof is loose. Then do the same on the left side of the area.

Now slit the rear edge of the failed area making a "U" shape of roofing loose whee the adhesive has failed. Fold this area forward exposing the roofing under the failed rubber roof and the bottom side of the rubber roof.

Apply the rubber roof adhesive to the bottom of the roofing and to the wooden roof you have exposed. Lay the rubber back down and roll it to bond the rubber to the substrate.

Now cover your three slits with Eternabond tape.....I would do the rear slit first and then overlap the left and right pieces of eternabond over the rear for a good watertight seal....Voila, glued down and sealed.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #17

thanks to all

Thanks to all who replied, and for the repair suggestions. We will investigate next weekend when we winterize (boo hoo, damn fires and early winters in Wyoming), then tackle the repair. I am in favor of injecting sealant, then screwing down w/ washers and covering all with eternabond. Hopefully I can get the boyfriend to agree. Will also look at Dicor-ing under the trim pieces.
Thanks,
Angi

2012 2500 Ram Diesel

Tags
repair, roo, roof, warranty