Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

New 2018 26DBH - Mattress and TV questions

Hi,

Located in Canada and just purchased a 26DBH out of province and will be picking it up this weekend. In anticipation I was trying to find out information regarding a couple of points as I found conflicting information.

A) TV mounting - Some posts suggested largest TV possible is 22", others 32", has anyone done this recently and if there is advice or guidance.

B) Is there enough clearance from head to half wall to fit a full size queen foam mattress, I forgot to measure it out but I recall the mattress was as hard as my tile floor.

Picking it up on Saturday and going through dealer demo, any suggestions for anything I should look out for before driving 200 km home with these models?

S
srgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

I have a 274DBH which is very similar to your trailer. A 32" tv is the largest that will fit in our trailer. There is no way a regular queen size mattress will fit. Our solution was a mattress topper. Good luck on the walk-through, just make sure everything works and ask lots of questions.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Marshmallow Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgallan View Post
Hi,

... the mattress was as hard as my tile floor.

S
Don’t I know it, I am pretty sure ours came stuffed with granite! We have a 3” memory foam topper, a 1 1/2” memory foam topper, and a 2” egg crate. It’s doable, but we can still feel the hardness of the mattress. We have been entertaining thoughts of getting a good inflatable mattress.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks - too bad regarding the mattress. I was hoping to get a full queen foam in there as short queens are quite expensive in Canada. I may have to stack some toppers then.

I am amazed they call what is on there actually a mattress.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

Congrats on the new trailer! I purchased the same one a month ago. So far it’s been pretty good, but it’s my first camper.

I bought a 32” Samsung and I’ve had no issues. I would order right angle composite cables if the hookups are on the back of the tv, or find one that has the red yellow white facing sideways because there isn’t enouch room to plug the ones that come with the camper into my tv.

I would check EVERYTHING at the walk through. There’s so many things I missed on mine.
Nbanga01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #6

Just bought a new mattress via Amazon. The mattress is sized as an RV/short queen. Around $200 USD. 8" memory foam. A LOT better than the factory mattress.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

A 32" seemed to be the biggest that would fit, due to clearing the roof to mount it on the wall. We added a 2" foam topper to make the bed pretty comfortable.
decoy562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

26dbh

I have mounted a 39 inch on my 274dbh about the same as your trailer I use a m-419 mount it tv mount. We take it off the wall when traveling ‘.
Jerheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks - too bad regarding the mattress. I was hoping to get a full queen foam in there as short queens are quite expensive in Canada. I may have to stack some toppers then.

I am amazed they call what is on there actually a mattress.
We got an RV Queen Mattress from Overstock.com and it fit fine. VERY nice to sleep on.

This is what we bought:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...lg=63&recidx=2
Old 05-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Looking at a 10" memory foam on Amazon for $289.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi,

Located in Canada and just purchased a 26DBH out of province and will be picking it up this weekend. In anticipation I was trying to find out information regarding a couple of points as I found conflicting information.

A) TV mounting - Some posts suggested largest TV possible is 22", others 32", has anyone done this recently and if there is advice or guidance.

B) Is there enough clearance from head to half wall to fit a full size queen foam mattress, I forgot to measure it out but I recall the mattress was as hard as my tile floor.

Picking it up on Saturday and going through dealer demo, any suggestions for anything I should look out for before driving 200 km home with these models?

S
We have a '17 274DBH which is very similar to yours and we love it. I installed a 32" TV. I just swapped out our mattress topper and factory P.O.S. mattress with a full queen. There is only a 1/2" to spare by the doors, but it fit. Really you need to measure to make sure, that is all we did. You should unzip the cover and look at the factory P.O.S mattress, it is a joke!!

If this is your first camper....which ours was, you will be a little star struck. I missed a ton of stuff and so did the dealer on a brand new camper. They made good and fixed everything, but I had it for a week before I found everything. It was all quality build issues from the factory. Since you are traveling a distance you don't want to take it back for warranty repair.

1. Make sure all Appliances work. Our Water Heater worked on Electric, but would light and go out on LP. They had to replace the controller.
2. Look for build quality issues, Some have them some don't.
a) There were screws missing around some doors and windows.
b) Look at all the seams and seals for possible water entry. They missed that there was absolutely no seal around the water heater on the outside. Rain could run down the siding behind the water heater and right into the camper. (Probably why the controller failed)
c) Look at tanks under the Trailer. Our fresh water tank was installed crooked and they just crushed it between the floor and the mounting rails. Plus our black water flush hose was installed kinked off, so the flush wouldn't work.

Like I said, we love the camper and layout. Our dealer fixed everything under warranty, but just things to look for. I never thought I would have to find that type of stuff on a brand new camper!! Hopefully some of these suggestions will save you a trip back to the dealer.

Happy camping!!
gadgetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #12

Thanks allot everyone. Very appreciated, any other advice is always welcome.

Not my first travel trailer, the last couple of years we had a smaller 25 foot no bunks trailer for the 4 of us as a starter to try it out. So this is out first upgrade and went new. However, I would still consider myself a complete Newb and this year will be the first time we bought a summer seasonal camp site and will be more using it as a cottage by the beach, 45 minutes from my work. :-)

I am pretty envious at the pricing for you folks south of the border on campers and even mattresses. Basically double the cost of everything (including the camper) and that is what we have to pay (some variations by regions).
Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks allot everyone. Very appreciated, any other advice is always welcome.

I am pretty envious at the pricing for you folks south of the border on campers and even mattresses. Basically double the cost of everything (including the camper) and that is what we have to pay (some variations by regions).
Prices in the US ~~~ Could be why I see my Canadian snowbird neighbors getting so much here. I've seen mods done and even slide toppers installed. They seem to do a lot of shopping as well in 3 months.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #14

26DBH

I have the same TT. I have a 32 inch Samsung smart TV. (I had the TV already but being a smart TV is great for the rare occasion you go too a campground with decent WiFi and can use Prime video or Netflix) I agree with previous post about 90 degree RCA adapters. The mount that comes with the TT for the TV is very tight to the wall and regular connectors won't fit the space between TV and wall. Just get the the 90 adapters not the cables with 90 degree ends. This way you can use the cables that came with TT for the outputs next to the outside TV mount. I also got 90 degree HDMI cables so I could connect a PS3 for rainy days with the kids camping. I got a 3" short queen mattress topper from Sam's Club for about $100 made a world of difference on that rock they call a mattress that comes with the TT.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #15

We've had our 26dbh vor just about a year.
We love it. I had a 24" tv and it fits just fine. we used a mattress topper that is about 4" foam.

search the web for an extensive prebuy check list. I used it and caught a few things.

Things I missed on this trailer... the main entrance door sticks and rubbed on the frame. they ended up changing the whole thing. Put the stabilizers down during the walk through and have the kids open and close the doors multiple times to make sure they can do it. I can open them but my little one could not.

My shower drain came loose after about 6 months and flooded the insulation on the underside. they covered it but it was probably loose from the factory so make them check all those connections.

My dinette broke the first time my friends used it. You need to add more screw to support the weight or do like me and add some 1x2 feet at the outer edge to carry the load to the floor AND add extra screws.

The gutter seam will leak. get them to give you an extra tube of caulk so you can fix it later or get some roofing tape and fix it now.

My propane hoses and valve started leaking after 3 months and they replaced them.

The touch screen thermostat that is in mine is junko in that it adjusts so easily that kiddos coming into the bunk or sitting on it can change it to heater with their feet by accident.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakwoodj View Post
We've had our 26dbh vor just about a year.
We love it. I had a 24" tv and it fits just fine. we used a mattress topper that is about 4" foam.

search the web for an extensive prebuy check list. I used it and caught a few things.

Things I missed on this trailer... the main entrance door sticks and rubbed on the frame. they ended up changing the whole thing. Put the stabilizers down during the walk through and have the kids open and close the doors multiple times to make sure they can do it. I can open them but my little one could not.

My shower drain came loose after about 6 months and flooded the insulation on the underside. they covered it but it was probably loose from the factory so make them check all those connections.

My dinette broke the first time my friends used it. You need to add more screw to support the weight or do like me and add some 1x2 feet at the outer edge to carry the load to the floor AND add extra screws.

The gutter seam will leak. get them to give you an extra tube of caulk so you can fix it later or get some roofing tape and fix it now.

My propane hoses and valve started leaking after 3 months and they replaced them.

The touch screen thermostat that is in mine is junko in that it adjusts so easily that kiddos coming into the bunk or sitting on it can change it to heater with their feet by accident.
I had to have the thermostat and control box replaced under warranty. Because TT would reach set temperature but then would not come on again unless I power cycled the thermostat. Works fine now. I don't understand your comment about dinette. How did it break? I have no problem with mine but wanted to know if I should be watching out for something in particular.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

My dinette was converted to a bed. He crawled out of it and put all his weight on one corner and the 1x1 support broke off the seat. I had the dealer fix it under warranty. I then added more screws to the 1x1 and added legs to the butter edge of the supports.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #18

We got a new Cherokee 27DBH and go the following TV and highly recommend it because it has ROKU built in with wifi so you can doing all the streaming stuff when you have wifi access.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=4822001
KWyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #19

For TV mount I went with the following and have been very happy with it. Give you great swivel mounting options and also gives you a second wall bracket to move the TV to another location if you want to.

https://www.amazon.com/MyCableMart-3...ds=rv+tv+mount
Old 06-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #20

These are the problems I found during my dealer checkout and some later and would recommend that you double check during your dealer checkout.

1. One ceiling speaker not working - Be sure and rotate your balance and fader from far left to far right and front to back and check all speakers individually.
2. Bathroom door not latching well - Be sure and push hard on all doors after shutting to ensure they have a good strong latch and not just a light latch.
3. Black water tank flush connector leaking between inside wall and bathroom wall - This is not something they will usually hookup and test and I found my leak the hard way on my second camping trip with water spraying out from under the siding of the trailer. Have them hook it up and run water and check the connector under the sink in the bathroom.
4. Stabilizer raise/lower jack screws were dry with no lubrication - Get yourself a can of "WD White Lithium Grease Spray" and open up the jacks slightly to expose the jack screws and spray the down good.
5. System still winterized and hot water bypass still engaged - If you have a forward mounted hot water heater like mine where it is mounted in the front storage area under the bed, then make sure they turn off the bypass and flush the system for you. The hot water heater bypass valves for winterization are a "bear" to get to unless you are a Chinese gymnast / contortionist. At a minimum have the show you where these valves are so you have full knowledge of where they are.
6. Low point drain valves sticking - One of these was very stuck on mine and semi-stuck and I thought I was going to break it to get it opened up. Have them rotate each valve on and off multiple times to ensure they are loosened up and functioning. Mine has three. Regular hot and cold and then one extra on the fresh water holding tank.

Tags
26dbh