Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
The Busted Wrench

New 274RK on order!

You might want to look at something lighter for your truck. My '14 5.3 Silverado pulls our 274RK but you get it in the wind and you have to go slower and take your time. My 5.3 does ok power wise but it also has quite a bit more torque and horsepower than your 5.3. Not to mention I also have the 6 speed transmission which helps as well. My personal opinion? This trailer is better suited for a 3/4 truck but can be pulled with a 1/2 ton, in flatter areas, for short distances. I would never pull mine in any serious hills, or over long distances, with my truck.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
You might want to look at something lighter for your truck. My '14 5.3 Silverado pulls our 274RK but you get it in the wind and you have to go slower and take your time. My 5.3 does ok power wise but it also has quite a bit more torque and horsepower than your 5.3. Not to mention I also have the 6 speed transmission which helps as well. My personal opinion? This trailer is better suited for a 3/4 truck but can be pulled with a 1/2 ton, in flatter areas, for short distances. I would never pull mine in any serious hills, or over long distances, with my truck.
Thank you for your input ChevyTech77. Do you have any suggestions on a lighter model that would be comparable and not cramped? My husband is 6' and some of the smaller ones we checked out he didn't even fit in the shower (I, on the other hand, am only 5' tall and don't have that problem!). We really like that the 274 is roomy and the recliners (as opposed to just a sofa or dinette) are a must-have because my husband has a spinal cord implant for back pain, and he needs a recliner to relax in when it gets to giving him fits. Also, we travel with 3 small dogs and want to make sure they aren't too cooped up when we leave them in it for a bit (although most likely they will just take a nap on the bed).
puppyluvkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #23

Chevytech77, what did you set your hitch height at ? My 274 was perfectly level when dealer set up hitch (trailer was empty). On our first trip loaded the back of the truck definitely squatted some.. My F150 towed it fine, didn't like the squat tho. I'm OK with no window on door, what annoys me is the bedroom door hitting the bathroom wall...have fun!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #24
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_biker_chic View Post
Thank you for your input ChevyTech77. Do you have any suggestions on a lighter model that would be comparable and not cramped? My husband is 6' and some of the smaller ones we checked out he didn't even fit in the shower (I, on the other hand, am only 5' tall and don't have that problem!). We really like that the 274 is roomy and the recliners (as opposed to just a sofa or dinette) are a must-have because my husband has a spinal cord implant for back pain, and he needs a recliner to relax in when it gets to giving him fits. Also, we travel with 3 small dogs and want to make sure they aren't too cooped up when we leave them in it for a bit (although most likely they will just take a nap on the bed).

Not familiar with what else is out there to be honest because as soon as we found our 274RK, that was the end of our search. Sorry. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #25
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainperry View Post
Chevytech77, what did you set your hitch height at ? My 274 was perfectly level when dealer set up hitch (trailer was empty). On our first trip loaded the back of the truck definitely squatted some.. My F150 towed it fine, didn't like the squat tho. I'm OK with no window on door, what annoys me is the bedroom door hitting the bathroom wall...have fun!

Truck and trailer are both level, hitch is dialed. It's an 8,000 lb 30' camper behind a 1/2 truck with car tires on it. It's gonna push the truck around in the wind and I knew that going into it. Truck has more than enough power to pull it, that's of no question. Just wish it had a little more lead in its ass to keep the ride when windy/gusty a little less intense, that's all. I just slow it down and take our time. No gusty wind and it pulls like our old 25', 4,500 lb Mallard did. Straight, true and smooth. I don't want an HD, as this truck is my daily and we don't pull far or in the big hills so this truck is fine. I might spring for the NHT package and cc std box when this truck goes back from its lease. I will have to cross that bridge when I get there though.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #26
The Busted Wrench

Oh and the no window in the outside door thing. Still bothers me. No idea why but it does. I'll have a window put in it in the fall. They're pretty cheap.

We don't keep our bedroom door open much and ours hits the bathroom door, not the wall. It is a tricky area to get around and through but even with its minor quirks, we still love the layout.