Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
The Busted Wrench

New 274RK on order!

My girlfriend and I fell in love with a 274RK last weekend at the rv show. The only thing I don't care for is the entry door not having a window in it but that's an easy enough fix, if need be. We are coming from a 2002 Mallard 25J so this will be a big jump in space, luxury and weight. My '14 Silverado 1500 is rated to pull it but I think my next truck purchase might be an HD just because.

Anyone else here with this model? Tips, tricks? Likes, dislikes? Ours won't be in until next month but we are excited for sure.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have the Salem Hemisphere 282 RK and just love it! We really like the cozy feel of the rear kitchen models. Only downside is they could have added a bedroom slide or another foot in the bedroom. It's a little tight getting dressed.

We have a F250 HD and a caution about the stiff bumpy ride when not having any weight on the back. I'd not get my truck if I had it to do over. Plus I'd stay with GMC too, just don't care for the Ford.

Good luck
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We have the Salem Hemisphere 282 RK and just love it! We really like the cozy feel of the rear kitchen models. Only downside is they could have added a bedroom slide or another foot in the bedroom. It's a little tight getting dressed.

We have a F250 HD and a caution about the stiff bumpy ride when not having any weight on the back. I'd not get my truck if I had it to do over. Plus I'd stay with GMC too, just don't care for the Ford.

Good luck

Yeah, I'm a big guy (6'3" and 340) so dressing in ANY rv bedroom or bathroom is pretty much out for me lol. We don't have kids so I'm not afraid to use the kitchen to dress in lol.

I was born, raised and now work for GM so no chance on me buying anything but a GM truck. I grew up in farm country so I'm use to the ride but agree, if I can confidently pull this trailer with my 1500, I'll probably just stay with the 1500 as it has to be my everyday driver truck too. Plus, I lease so every three years I get a new truck.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum, I don't have a 282RK but I do have a rear kitchen. I think my biggest challenge will be to not but to much weight in the back of the trailer. If the tongue gets to light they tow kinda stupid.

Enjoy Mike

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
Yeah, I'm a big guy (6'3" and 340) so dressing in ANY rv bedroom or bathroom is pretty much out for me lol. We don't have kids so I'm not afraid to use the kitchen to dress in lol.

I was born, raised and now work for GM so no chance on me buying anything but a GM truck. I grew up in farm country so I'm use to the ride but agree, if I can confidently pull this trailer with my 1500, I'll probably just stay with the 1500 as it has to be my everyday driver truck too. Plus, I lease so every three years I get a new truck.
I end up getting dressed in the living room. Just make sure the blinds are closed!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

We don't have this model, but love the rear kitchen. Not sure you'll care about windows on the doors. Ours have windows, but there that foggy privacy glass, so you can't see anyone thru them anyway.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
We don't have this model, but love the rear kitchen. Not sure you'll care about windows on the doors. Ours have windows, but there that foggy privacy glass, so you can't see anyone thru them anyway.

I was thinking that as well I guess that no window just looks out of place to me for some reason. It can be easily added down the line if we want I guess.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
The window (albeit the milky wavy glass) soes provide some additional light in ours, although we have a very large picture window next to it. Guess it looks more like a door with the window.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
The window (albeit the milky wavy glass) soes provide some additional light in ours, although we have a very large picture window next to it. Guess it looks more like a door with the window.

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't look like a door without a window.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
My girlfriend and I fell in love with a 274RK last weekend at the rv show. The only thing I don't care for is the entry door not having a window in it but that's an easy enough fix, if need be. We are coming from a 2002 Mallard 25J so this will be a big jump in space, luxury and weight. My '14 Silverado 1500 is rated to pull it but I think my next truck purchase might be an HD just because.

Anyone else here with this model? Tips, tricks? Likes, dislikes? Ours won't be in until next month but we are excited for sure.
My wife and I purchased a 274RK which arrived at the Dealership up here in Canada the first week of January. We love it, but have not brought it home yet as we will not be using it until the May long weekend, and by leaving it at the Dealer until the Beginning of April, our warranty does not start until then. We still can visit it and do go inside and look at and measure different things so we can decide what is going to go where when we bring it home.

We had a Greywolf 26RL before this one and are looking forward to our first trip with this one. We figure we will take the month of April to put stuff in the trailer and leave out stuff that we had in the other one that we did not use. It is amazing how much stuff we were carrying that we did not use. Buying a new trailer is a good time to purge the extras.
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willybgh View Post
My wife and I purchased a 274RK which arrived at the Dealership up here in Canada the first week of January. We love it, but have not brought it home yet as we will not be using it until the May long weekend, and by leaving it at the Dealer until the Beginning of April, our warranty does not start until then. We still can visit it and do go inside and look at and measure different things so we can decide what is going to go where when we bring it home.

We had a Greywolf 26RL before this one and are looking forward to our first trip with this one. We figure we will take the month of April to put stuff in the trailer and leave out stuff that we had in the other one that we did not use. It is amazing how much stuff we were carrying that we did not use. Buying a new trailer is a good time to purge the extras.

Agreed! We spent a few hours last night cleaning out our old camper before the new owners came to pick it up. I now have half a garage and half a house full of camper stuff! The worst part is that our old camper had half the storage that the new camper will have so once my woman sees how "empty" it looks in the new camper, watch out, she will loading it right up! I'm going to have to keep reminding her that we only have a 1/2 ton truck now pulling a 7700 lb trailer! LOL.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
The Busted Wrench

Does anybody know what the hitch height spec is on this trailer? My old camper was LOW at only 18" so I know that my hitch head is going to have to go up. I find it extremely annoying that manufactures put so few specs on their equipment online anywhere.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
The Busted Wrench

Ended up having to get a different shank to get everything leveled up correctly but it pulls very well even with my "little" 1/2 ton Silverado.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429125585.328270.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	74330
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #14

Did you beef up the rear tires or add extra air?
kilntym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilntym2 View Post
Did you beef up the rear tires or add extra air?

No tires, it's a lease and within specs. I may add a touch of air to them though. I always did even with our last TT.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #16

Truck and Trailer look Good! Are your W/D bars level with the trailer frame? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Truck and Trailer look Good! Are your W/D bars level with the trailer frame? Youroo!!

No. It's a Reese dual cam setup so they have to angle down some or the cams would hit the bottom of the frame rail. This setup works great, IMO. It was highly recommended by a buddy of mine that is a lifelong rv tech.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
The only thing I don't care for is the entry door not having a window in it but that's an easy enough fix, if need be.
Congratulations and welcome! The waiting is the hardest part now. We just brought home our new Grey Wolf 26dbh last week. Different model but same window-less door (ours has 2) problem that I agree with you about. On the curb side of the coach, ours only has a tall narrow window in the master's quarters that doesn't open and the small window over the sink. I think a couple windows in the doors would really add some natural light. I think it makes the camper look cheap or like a construction trailer. It's an easy and cheap fix IMHO.

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
The Busted Wrench

Spent our first weekend in our new Cherokee this weekend. Very roomy and comfy. One of the interior audio speakers is buzzing which is a bummer but that's it so far and not enough to warrant a trip to the dealer for yet. It pulls nice even though we were getting kicked around in the wind a bit today on the way home. 20-25 mph side gusts will do that I guess. Hurry up Memorial Day weekend!!
Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #20

Hi all. My husband and I fell in love with the 274VFK last weekend, but I'm worried that it might be too much for our 1/2 ton Silverado. I noticed the RK model is slightly lighter (not a whole lot but enough that I thought it might be a better choice), and just as nice as the VFK. We are going to look at the RK Friday and if we like it we plan to purchase it. We have a 2003 Silverado 1500 4WD ext. cab Z71 with towing package (including tranny cooler), 5300 V8, 4.10 axle ratio, all that good stuff. We've hauled plenty of trailers with it and it has done fine, but never something this size. I did the math and and it's going to be close, but should be within our limits as long as we don't go overboard with gear.

I noticed a lot of y'all said you pull with a 1/2 ton and I'm curious how well they handle it. Any tips for us newbies?
puppyluvkc is offline   Reply With Quote