Old 05-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

New Grey Wolf but weak brakes??

New Grey Wolf but weak brakes?? Is this common? Should I be getting out the spoon?
As we pulled our brand new 20RDSE Grey Wolf off the dealership lot I tested the self adjusting trailer brakes by squeezing the RAM trailer brake controller lever and found that there were no brakes. We cranked the trailer brake controller to the maximum setting and still no brakes. We could hear the electric brakes actuate but they had no stopping power. The dealership assured us that this is common because the brakes are glazed and after some usage will start to work. On the way home we temporarily turned the brake controller down to 30% and actuated the trailer brakes for short periods (short periods = no smoke) as we puller the trailer at 50 mph. 20 miles down the road and at home we had brakes but not enough to lock up the tires on gravel. We backed up the Grey Wolf and applied the brakes several times to initiate the self adjusting feature. Hoping for brakes before the first trip out.
Thank you in advance for your helpful advice.

Kamper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

My TT had no brakes the moment I pulled out of the dealer. Max gain had no effect, pulling the break away cable had no effect.
My new TT sat at the dealer for 6 weeks while FR and the dealer did the run around. Shoes were oil soaked. The trailer is made by Lippert, not FR.
I have brakes now.
Here is the thread about the ordeal.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-178778.html

Old 05-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
My TT had no brakes the moment I pulled out of the dealer. Max gain had no effect, pulling the break away cable had no effect.
My new TT sat at the dealer for 6 weeks while FR and the dealer did the run around. Shoes were oil soaked. The trailer is made by Lippert, not FR.
I have brakes now.
Here is the thread about the ordeal.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-178778.html
OUCH! On our last 5th wheel I pulled maintenance on the wheels after the 1st year to find that all of the rear seals were shot and we had grease on all four drums and brake shoes. As if that weren't enough the interior of the wheel hubs between the front and rear bears was covered with heavy rust particles. The particles had scored most of the bearings. I was very busy that week! It's almost as if you need to take the place apart to see if it's assembled correctly.
Kamper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #4
Mopar Guy

when I bought my trailer last year, I towed it from ohio to ct, the brakes were Super weak, but I wanted to make sure they didn't just need to run in a bit.

When I got home, I had to adjust them A LOT, they were never set anywhere near correctly.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #5

From my car brake drum days, I found that the self adjusting brakes had to be manually adjusted to work to start with. The self adjustment is for snugging up during slow wear. As they grip, it will adjust. They need to be manually adjusted initially to be in their working range.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #6

When I got my lacrosse, it has weak brakes, come to find out the brakes were wired backwards on 1 side.
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

When I picked up my 2020 16FQ I set the controller to max gain and tried to get the brakes to lock up at 25MPH and failed.

I immediately queried this with the dealer and they set the gain just enough so that the tow vehicle would not creep forwards. They told me this is the correct way to set the gain.

Correct or incorrect?

Thanks, Andy
AndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

I had my new 20RDSE delivered to my house, so the 1st time I towed with it was when I was setting up the wdh. I had never towed that big of a trailer before and did not know how to adjust the break controller, so I wanted to go around the block to see what it was like and the 1st time I stepped on the brakes I almost got whiplash, I had the brake controller way to sensitive. so my thinking its your tt brakes or controller.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
From my car brake drum days, I found that the self adjusting brakes had to be manually adjusted to work to start with. The self adjustment is for snugging up during slow wear. As they grip, it will adjust. They need to be manually adjusted initially to be in their working range.
The shoes move and adjuster works even if brakes are way out of adjustment. It's just that when way out of adjustment it's going to take lot more applications than you would expect. A REAL lot.

Manually adjusting is always a good idea on brand new brakes. Then follow Dexter's instructions to manually apply several times at a low speed to finish the task.

Final note: New brake linings and drums need to be burnished for max grip. A few full brake applications at low, safe speeds, usually does the job. Just don't get the brakes hot as that can glaze the linings which in itself can reduce braking effect as well as contribute to noisy brakes.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Yes, exactly. The pair of brake shoes is anchored only at one end. The assembly is otherwise free to float and moves differently depending on the direction of drum rotation. This slight movement causes a pawl-and-ratchet adjustment of the adjustment screw spreader between the two shoes.

But as Boomerweps states, the shoes have to be adjusted enough to actually grip before further adjustment can take place.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scayne62 View Post
When I got my lacrosse, it has weak brakes, come to find out the brakes were wired backwards on 1 side.
Backwards? How is that even possible? Please explain.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #12

I just brought my Grey Wolf 25rrt home a couple days ago after reading your post. The first thing I did was test the brakes in the dealer parking lot. They worked as expected, the final offset on my P3 was 5.1 with Boost level 2. This setting has the brakes just slightly pulling on my truck (just enough I can tell the brakes are working back there).
Mike_Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
We backed up the Grey Wolf and applied the brakes several times to initiate the self adjusting feature. Hoping for brakes before the first trip out.
Thank you in advance for your helpful advice.
Why did you feel the need to reverse in order for the brake adjustment to work? Dexter self adjusting brakes adjust with both forward and reverse applications of the brakes. But it takes repeated applications to get to the final adjustment point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scayne62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Backwards? How is that even possible? Please explain.
I don't think it is possible for the brakes to be wired backwards. Maybe they meant in series rather than in parallel?
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I don't think it is possible for the brakes to be wired backwards. Maybe they meant in series rather than in parallel?
Who knows what people think!

babock is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, grey wolf