Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
BWA

New member advice?

Hello,
I'm new here. I have been shopping for trailers for some time and I think my family is ready to make the jump. I am wondering where one can go to look at review/rating for trailers?
My number one trailer I'm considering is the 2020 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 27DBH

I am new to the camper world and I'm wondering if there are things to stay away from or watch out for, Pros/Cons, etc. I recognize that campers are a house on wheels & that there are inherent issues with that, and there is a 'break in' period.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Tow Vehicle is 2013 Ram 2500 Diesel
BWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #2

New member advice?

Rule #1. DO NOT purchase from Camping World/ Gander RV.
Rule # 2. See rule #1.

I purchased in March 2017 an Grey Wolf 26DBH. Very similar to what you are considering. There are a bunch of things I’ve learned in the last 3yrs since ownership . Do not compare the RV industry to the automotive industry in regards to warranty coverage of issues. Be ready to fix minor things on your own or learn to fix issues by using resources such as this forum, YouTube and google. The Grey Wolf models have an above floor slide using the Schwintech slide system where as the Cherokee line (twin) uses a floor level rack/pinion or the new cable slide system. Tires are China imports so consider replacing with Goodyear Endurance tires after sometime of ownership. The cabinet stiles are of cheap particle press board and not pocket screwed. I had to replace the stiles near the bunk due to minor water damage from a damp towel that my daughter left on the floor that I was unaware of till it was to late! The particle board stiles are a sponge!!! Both bunk and bed mattresses are horrible at best so consider either replacing or adding mattress toppers. You’ll want to check the shower p-trap connection to make sure it is tight because for some reason they don’t get it tightened properly at the factory. I’ve had very minor issues and no majors issues to date. Fit and finish could be better but that is the industry! I can send you a link of pictures from the factory tour I took in 2018 if you are interested in seeing the build process. I was impressed of the build quality just feel they could do better in other areas !
Barmstrong77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #3

Welcome!
And rule #3 (grin) is to match the TT to the tow vehicle - or visa versus.

I have a Ram 2500 diesel, so I think you will be pleased at how your tow vehicle will tow the TT.
One of the first items that I would add to the TT would be a voltage meter so that you can monitor the health of the batteries.

Ram 2500 diesel / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
BWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmstrong77 View Post
I can send you a link of pictures from the factory tour I took in 2018 if you are interested in seeing the build process. I was impressed of the build quality just feel they could do better in other areas !
Thanks, I did see your post from the factory tour. They look pretty well assembled.
BWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWA View Post
Hello,
My number one trailer I'm considering is the 2020 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 27DBH
New or used?
If it's new, just make sure everything works before you buy. To get a good idea of prices, try rvtrader.com Never pay retail price.

Used? Same as above, but make certain you don't see any signs of leaks, check the floor for soft spots, don't buy if you smell mold (sometimes they try to cover up the smell with industrial strength air fresheners.)

Don't let them pressure you to buy. Take your time and make sure it's the one you want.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
Maintenance Engineer

I could never imagine paying the prices these places want for brand new RV’s when in 4 years you’ll be lucky to resell it for 1/4 of what you paid for it and that amount drops an additional 1/4 for every year after that, till you seriously reach a point after 10 years where you can’t even give it away and have to pay someone to haul it off. Besides that all of them are built like cheap crap unless you’re paying over $100K for it, then its just cheap crap they made look nice.

Previously owned has its own set of things to think about though, you could have had a previous owner who did everything wrong and pretty much ruined it, or you could have had a previous owner who went through it and actually fixed all the original factory flaws and cheapness.

If you don’t even own a screwdriver though, brand new prices are your only option and just hope all the problems happen under warranty, which is what you’re really paying all that marked up price for.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote