Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #1

New owner! 2018 Wolf Pup 16BHS w/WDH question

Hello!

Just picked up a new-to-me 2018 Wolf Pup 16BHS. (Private sale) It's in very nice shape, custom ordered by the original owner with the smooth sides and low profile air conditioner. For storage, it might just clear the 10' door opening at my in-law's pole shed, if not I'll probably build a car port for it.

Anyhow, as you can see in the attached photo I need a WDH. The tow vehicle is a '06 Explorer with the V8 and factory class III towing. After this photo was taken, I stopped at the CAT scale and it came out as:

Steer Axle : 2540
Drive Axle : 3260
Trailer Axle : 2920
Gross Weight : 8720

That was with just me in the truck, otherwise fairly empty besides the full tank of gas. The Wolf Pup was empty as well, the battery is installed but the LP tank I believe is close to empty. The Explorer door jam sticker reads:

Front GAWR: 3020
Rear GAWR: 3400
GVWR: 6280

The brake controller is a Tekonsha P3. I'll also be installing a Tuson electronic sway control.

I am considering the Husky Centerline 32215 which is rated 400 to 600 TW. Would that be sufficient for my application?

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	230489  
BiscoFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #2

It says it's for a 6000 pound trailer. Should be more than fine. Some people don't even use them on these trailers because there's not much weight there. I've read stuff on here and seen videos that warn you not to put too much weight on the trailer tires.
Our Tundra and Wolfpup setup with a WDH have never had an issue though.

I think our '19 is a few inches over 10'. but a lot of that is A/C so ours might be taller than yours if it's a different style unit.

Trailer:2019 Cherokee Wolfpup 16BHS
Truck: 2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L
wipup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoFever View Post
[...] The brake controller is a Tekonsha P3. I'll also be installing a Tuson electronic sway control.

I am considering the Husky Centerline 32215 which is rated 400 to 600 TW. Would that be sufficient for my application? [...]
I wouldn't expect the tongue weight for that trailer (GVWR < 4,000 lbs) to ever exceed 600 lbs. If it does, then you probably have other problems to consider that are more important than exceeding your WDH bar capacity.

If it were me, I would skip the Tuson Sway Control device. I would get a good WDH (I use Equal-I-zer 4-pt, but Blue Ox and others are also good) with integrated sway control. This will help put some weight back to your front axle and simultaneously control any sway.

So, the reason I'd skip the Tuson device isn't because that device isn't good. Rather, you will get all the sway control you need out of a good WDH.

A good WDH will cost $600 +/- a bill or so.

BTW, I used to tow our 3,500 lb PUP with an '06 Explorer. I had the 4.6L V8 and tow package, but it towed much better than my '05 F-150. The only area that the F-150 was better was in control of sway. I didn't use a WDH or anti-sway and the truck's longer wheel base, weight, and balance offered a bit better control. But the Explorer pulled it much better.

I think you'll get good performance from your '06 V8, but the full profile of the hard side trailer will greatly benefit from the WDH with integrated sway control.(But, yours looks like an '07+, as I didn't think they used that front quarter panel V8 badge in '06. I could be wrong, though.)

For my own personal nostalgia and because there just aren't many Explorer V8s left in the wild, here is a pic from 2013:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	230792  

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
(But, yours looks like an '07+, as I didn't think they used that front quarter panel V8 badge in '06. I could be wrong, though.)

For my own personal nostalgia and because there just aren't many Explorer V8s left in the wild, here is a pic from 2013:
You're right, '07+ had the V8 badges. I like how they look, so I added them.

Many of the Gen4 Explorers have rusted away here in Wisconsin. Not this one, I bought it in Colorado 5 years ago, and treat with Fluid Film every fall.
BiscoFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

I just installed a Hayes sway master on my 7500Lb trailer, I'm curious how your experience will be with the Tuscon.

I'm running an equalizer 4 point for my mechanical sway control but I like the added insurance of hands free trailer braking sway control.

I know there are internet "experts" that say you can reach for the manual brake control but unless it's a muscle memory that's practiced ( I'm guessing they poorly load their rigs so they get a lot of practice) your not likely to use the manual control when a sway event happens once in a blue moon in a timely fashion
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

I bought my 2019 BHS16 April 2018 towed by my 2008 Explorer 4.0 with tow package. Prodigy 3 brake controller added. Dealer talked me into a WDH and was glad he did. Good price, used Husky Centerline 32215! Highly recommend it with this trailer. I do have to say it can be real noisy on tight turns, sounds like something is dragging or breaking
Even though tow rated for 5225#, the engine was the weak link ;( All other aspects of towing were great with that WDH.
I found out I was overloading the drive and trailer axles a little when I finally weighed it. Without the WDH, I was over rear GAWR by 120#, with WDH under by 20#.
Without the WDH, trailer GAWR over 100#, with WDH over GAWR 180#.
After that camping trip, I removed as much as I could from the Explorer & TT. No more hauling wood, either. I weighed items removed to make sure I would be in specs without going to the Scales. Drove my wife nuts! I recently refigured my data and I was towing at about 85% GCWR. My wife packed it with extras for guests like it was a vacation cottage!
Last year, I bought a new truck so I can haul more stuff. The WDH is not required but I still use it for that locked in tow feeling and for anti sway.
Note: that trailer has a 3500# axle. The 3877#GVWR includes extra expected to be carried by the tow vehicle as tongue weight.
For my driveway entry onto the highway, the sewer pipe is too low. I just had my trailer axle undersprung. Factory it's on top the springs. Gained 5" clearance.
I did several mods to it, all posted here, with everyone else's.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

I towed for one year a Wolf Pup 16FQ with an Explorer 2017 with the Ecoboost. No WDH, but I really did not feel it that much. The EB Explorer is a different car that the v8 you have, but from the standpoint of towing I don't think it's actually that better. You have an actual frame and a longer wheelbase, so for a little Wolf Pup I don't see a big problem.
That's not to say that a WDH is not advisable, just that it's probably not as "absolutely necessary" as in most other cases.
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Towing

X2-Equal-I-zer. It is highly adjustable and works well. Look at any campground and you see a lot of them. I added the nylon saddles on mine as I did not like the rock crushing sound when you turn a tight corner at slow speeds. Three years later still quiet w/ no change in sway control.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup