Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #1

New tow vehicle

Looking at upgrading to a tundra or newer f150 to pull my 274dbh. Any suggestions on these trucks?
Pirateman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #2

both would be good. More important to make sure it is optioned for towing. Not just the presence of a hitch, but gear ratio, suspension, cooling, and other upgrades.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #3

After towing with a gas and now diesel you could get a used diesel for under the price of a newer gas. I know this horse has been beat numerous times gas vs diesel. Just my advice. I don't think I'll ever go back to a gas motor for towing.

2014 265B
2008 3/4 Chevy Duramax
dsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #4

I use a '13 F150 4x4 5.0 to pull a Grey Wolf 28BH...

Overall weights and dimensions are similar; although your tongue weight is a fair bit higher (900# + dry... for yours, 650# for mine)

Watch your payload ratings - that's the one you'll exceed, unless you find/order a max-payload F150. My truck (regular payload, heavy tow package) for instance, has a 1550# payload - so between myself, the wife, the kid, the stuff in the bed of the truck, and the trailer, I'm pretty much at capacity. Your trailer, being 250# heavier on the tongue, would hit payload that much faster.

That said, the 2015 F150, with the max payload package is rated upto 3100#, depending on options - so if you're prepared to look for, or order, a properly equipped truck, you'll have no issues...

The 5.0 has lots of power for pulling; so wouldn't be concerned there - and the Ecoboost is slightly more powerful and torque-y (is that a word?) - so again, no problems if you go that way.

I do find the shorter wheelbase truck (I have the crew-cab 5.5' box) isn't as stable towing as I'd like - but it's certainly manageable; although I'd get the 6.5' if I was doing it over...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the input ontario. I have test driven a tundra crewmax and a crew f150 5.0 liter this week. We were able to take the trailer around the block with the Ford. I currently have a 2004 f150. Only concern there is over gcw
Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

Both are great trucks. You need to go back to that Ford dealer and drive a 3.5L Ecoboost with your trailer in tow. Get it out on the highway in tow haul and set the cruise on 65. You'll be amazed. Of course, you are really supposed to have 1000 miles on one before you tow with one- maybe the dealer would have a used one you could do a test-tow with???? If going with a V8 in either the Tundra or the F150, I'd opt for lower gears than the EB would require. The 4.30's in the Tundra or the 3.73's in the F150- both result in the same final drive ratio in each gear because of tranny gearing. Tundra guys think they've got a towing beast with "super low 4.30 gears", when in reality, once again, they offer almost identical ratios as the Ford 3.73's. If going with the EB, 3.73's would be fine, but 3.55's are perfectly adequate.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Tinkerer and Putterer

Our family has towed with both a 2014 5.0L (sister) and a Tundra (father). Optioned up correctly they tow about the same. Aesthetically and functionally outside of towing it's tough to beat the Ford for interior layout and options like the tailgate step. The main gotcha I saw with both were the tires. If you can option LT tires I would do it. The stock tires are squirrelly under load especially in windy conditions. I did notice that my sisters truck gets better fuel mileage unloaded than my fathers but when towing they both average within 0.5 mpg of each other. My sisters family tows a Jayco that comes in at 7500 lbs empty but I don't know the rest of the stats.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Our family has towed with both a 2014 5.0L (sister) and a Tundra (father). Optioned up correctly they tow about the same. Aesthetically and functionally outside of towing it's tough to beat the Ford for interior layout and options like the tailgate step. The main gotcha I saw with both were the tires. If you can option LT tires I would do it. The stock tires are squirrelly under load especially in windy conditions. I did notice that my sisters truck gets better fuel mileage unloaded than my fathers but when towing they both average within 0.5 mpg of each other. My sisters family tows a Jayco that comes in at 7500 lbs empty but I don't know the rest of the stats.
+1 on the tires. Stock tires seem to be chosen for fuel mileage, ride comfort and price. Towing performance does NOT seem to enter the equation. Certain packages on the F150 do either come with LT's or have them as an option, though. Not sure on the Tundra.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsigman View Post
After towing with a gas and now diesel you could get a used diesel for under the price of a newer gas. I know this horse has been beat numerous times gas vs diesel. Just my advice. I don't think I'll ever go back to a gas motor for towing.

2014 265B
2008 3/4 Chevy Duramax
X2, all the years I have been towing and trying to convenience the wife diesel was worth the money, I will never buy another gasser as long as I tow. This is the first truck my wife even has stated she can tell the difference and has stated she loves the truck. All the trucks we have had she has never said anything close to that. Just my experience and as was mention don't want to start another debate as many times happens when you mention the "D" word
Old 06-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
X2, all the years I have been towing and trying to convenience the wife diesel was worth the money, I will never buy another gasser as long as I tow. This is the first truck my wife even has stated she can tell the difference and has stated she loves the truck. All the trucks we have had she has never said anything close to that. Just my experience and as was mention don't want to start another debate as many times happens when you mention the "D" word

I think the "debates" arise when an OP asks specifically about 2 trucks, the F150 and the Tundra, but is told they need a diesel. I think if the OP had a trailer that was clearly out of 1/2 ton range one could justify bringing up going diesel. Not the case here, though. Just my .02.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Both are great trucks. You need to go back to that Ford dealer and drive a 3.5L Ecoboost with your trailer in tow. Get it out on the highway in tow haul and set the cruise on 65. You'll be amazed. Of course, you are really supposed to have 1000 miles on one before you tow with one- maybe the dealer would have a used one you could do a test-tow with???? If going with a V8 in either the Tundra or the F150, I'd opt for lower gears than the EB would require. The 4.30's in the Tundra or the 3.73's in the F150- both result in the same final drive ratio in each gear because of tranny gearing. Tundra guys think they've got a towing beast with "super low 4.30 gears", when in reality, once again, they offer almost identical ratios as the Ford 3.73's. If going with the EB, 3.73's would be fine, but 3.55's are perfectly adequate.
Side note - What is the potential harm in towing with under 1000 miles on TV? I had no choice but to pick up my TT and drive 50mi with about 200mi on my new TV. Also did first weekend trip (100 mi each way) with about 700-800mi on TV.

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
Side note - What is the potential harm in towing with under 1000 miles on TV? I had no choice but to pick up my TT and drive 50mi with about 200mi on my new TV. Also did first weekend trip (100 mi each way) with about 700-800mi on TV.
I can't give you an exact technical answer on that one. I suppose maybe the rings haven't seated fully so you don't want a heavy load until a break in period is over? That's just what Ford recommends, IIRC. I'm sure others can tell you exactly. I'm also sure that there will be many accounts of people driving them like they stole them from day one with good results!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Tinkerer and Putterer

The main reason is to allow the differential to break in before putting it under load. The gears as assembled need some heat cycles to break in and seat. Prior to break in there is a higher degree of deflection that could cause issues under heavy loads. Dodge and Nissan both had problems with rear diffs spitting teeth due to heavy loads being placed on the diff before it was broken a few years back. You can probably Google Nissan Titan and busted diff to see some of the carnage. That being said I have yet to spit a diff on a Chevy or a Ford due to tow loads. I don't like to exceed 3/4 of the rated tow capacity so I probably never pushed my luck. You may be fine and likely will be fine. In the old days rings required 3000 miles to seat but now a days with the tight tolerances, synthetic fluids and materials used I don't know if that is still an issue. The 1000 mile recommendation is a cya from the factory. My class C rolled out of the factory fully loaded and didn't have any problems and I tow 3500 lbs behind it regularly on top of the vehicle being near GCWR.

If you spit your diff at 15000 the dealer will likely ask you if you broke in your truck prior to towing.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #14

So I have pulled the trailer around the block with the f150 and tundra crewmax. I have to say the tundra feels a lot more improved from my 2004 f150.

Tags
tow vehicle