Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #21

I missed itat’s post about the roof before I posted my comment about the roof. I would have worded my post differently if I hadn’t missed that.

However, I don’t believe these bases are screwed down into the roof, rather, they are just attached with caulk and pushed down from the top and pulled down from the inside by the control dial mechanism. Of course, I may be wrong.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Who is the dealer? From the things you mention in this post and others, it sounds like it must be a Camping World.

Bruce
Pete’s Rv in Massachusetts
Drrm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #23

Quote:
I missed itat’s post about the roof before I posted my comment about the roof. I would have worded my post differently if I hadn’t missed that.

However, I don’t believe these bases are screwed down into the roof, rather, they are just attached with caulk and pushed down from the top and pulled down from the inside by the control dial mechanism. Of course, I may be wrong.

Bruce
The control dial mechanism must be inside the roof ? I can’t see any control mechanisms from the inside the camper around that area .
Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrm80 View Post
The control dial mechanism must be inside the roof ? I can’t see any control mechanisms from the inside the camper around that area .
Then it must have been one of the omnidirectional type that don’t turn. I think King makes antennas that look like that both ways — one type can be turned and the other type is stationary.

https://kingconnect.com/product/omni...v-air-antenna/

Bruce
Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #25

Do some research on these plastic antennas. Very simple. Esearch if it was included with the rr.

They glue to the roof. Removing one is time consuming scraping up all the chalk to get it off in one piece. I broke mine off. They are fragile!

Likely the delivery driver ripped it off and quickly patched the hole. I would guess the antenna is a standard item included on all models.

There is a large shaft that penetrates the roof to the interior. Then a 1x4x6 inch cover goes over the penetration. Look at the antenna and it is obvious. The control should be directly below the center of the patch. Perhaps in a cabinet. Look good.

Take pictures. Send an email to the dealer ASAP. Say you wish to return the unit because the roof is damaged and you do not have a barn to put it in! No threats. But, you are afraid to leave it outdoors. Say you purchased a new unit and this is not ok.

The tape over the hole is the evidence they did it! Say you have no tape.

Take it back ASAP.

If they replace the antenna a good patch would be ok. They should compensate you for your trouble.

We are talking a couple of hours for a tech to do this.

The antenna is not real expensive. The base is the patch.

If they do not want to install an antenna, request all caulk be removed. Fully clean the area. Apply roof clean solvent, cut a large rectangle of roof material. Glue it down. Cover edges with tape. Calk the tape edges. Will likely take as long to do. No quick wipe with a rag and a couple pieces of tape!

Call the salesmen after the email is sent. Not a warrantee issue. Two hour job.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Do some research on these plastic antennas. Very simple. Esearch if it was included with the rr.

They glue to the roof. Removing one is time consuming scraping up all the chalk to get it off in one piece. I broke mine off. They are fragile!

Likely the delivery driver ripped it off and quickly patched the hole. I would guess the antenna is a standard item included on all models.

There is a large shaft that penetrates the roof to the interior. Then a 1x4x6 inch cover goes over the penetration. Look at the antenna and it is obvious. The control should be directly below the center of the patch. Perhaps in a cabinet. Look good.

Take pictures. Send an email to the dealer ASAP. Say you wish to return the unit because the roof is damaged and you do not have a barn to put it in! No threats. But, you are afraid to leave it outdoors. Say you purchased a new unit and this is not ok.

Take it back ASAP.

If they replace the antenna a good patch would be ok. They should compensate you for your trouble.

If they do not want to install an antenna, request all caulk be removed. Fully clean the area. Apply roof clean solvent, cut a large rectangle of roof material. Glue it down. Cover edges with tape. Calk the tape edges. Will likely take as long to do. No quick wipe with a rag and a couple pieces of tape!

There would only be a shaft and a controller directly beneath it if it was a directional antenna. The omnidirectional antenna would not have a shaft or a controller beneath it. There should just be a small hole in the roof for one wire — not the larger hole required for the directional version.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Here you go:

Attachment 216695

Maybe this happened on your way home from the dealer?

EDIT: After looking at your picture again, I doubt you put that white piece of tape or whatever it is on there. It looks like somebody knew they ripped the antenna off, then covered the hole for the wire with that. Perhaps it happened on the way to the dealer.

Bruce
X2

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
There would only be a shaft and a controller directly beneath it if it was a directional antenna. The omnidirectional antenna would not have a shaft or a controller beneath it. There should just be a small hole in the roof for one wire — not the larger hole required for the directional version.

Bruce
Under that white patch , if you touch it it feels like there is some sort of shaft , or hole for a shaft to go in . I just don’t see anything on the inside of the camper . I see the coaxial plug next to the tv but that’s it .
Old 10-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

Take it back ASAP.

As soon as I found it I reached out to the dealer with pictures . They said no one was there at the moment could help me with my issue and someone from service would call me on Monday when service was open . I picked up the camper the 27th of September, I only just had seen the roof of it and as soon as I saw it I got a ladder ASAP to get a closer view .
Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #30

That is why people keep saying do a thourough inspection when you pick it up. Good luck
palusza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #31

1) Do you have decently working TV in the TT?
2) Can you see another antenna for TV on the roof?
You unit is new enough to have an upgrade from the factory.
3) My "guess" is, the Dealer may be unawares of this "removed antenna issue".
It is possible that a change order at the factory went like this: "Hey Bill, go
yank that cheap omni off those twenty units out back waiting to be delivered
and attach the "new" antennas in our brochure".

My very first inkling was somebody yanked off a TV antenna with the tri-lobed foot
and slapped on a piece of TPO slathered with dicor over the hole for the co-ax. Then I
thought why would a dealer spend $ to replace with (IF you do have a diff antenna up there) a better one??? Money out of his pocket.

There are stories about in-transit damages to RVs and night-time dropoffs at their lots
that would horrify the general public. We would like to hear #1 and #2 ?'s answered.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
1) Do you have decently working TV in the TT?
2) Can you see another antenna for TV on the roof?
You unit is new enough to have an upgrade from the factory.
3) My "guess" is, the Dealer may be unawares of this "removed antenna issue".
It is possible that a change order at the factory went like this: "Hey Bill, go
yank that cheap omni off those twenty units out back waiting to be delivered
and attach the "new" antennas in our brochure".

My very first inkling was somebody yanked off a TV antenna with the tri-lobed foot
and slapped on a piece of TPO slathered with dicor over the hole for the co-ax. Then I
thought why would a dealer spend $ to replace with (IF you do have a diff antenna up there) a better one??? Money out of his pocket.

There are stories about in-transit damages to RVs and night-time dropoffs at their lots
that would horrify the general public. We would like to hear #1 and #2 ?'s answered.
#1 my travel trailer does not have a tv installed Factory . I can hook one up and try this .

#3 I do not see anything else that resembles a antenna on the roof .
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by palusza View Post
That is why people keep saying do a thourough inspection when you pick it up. Good luck
I read the same thing , I tried to but I didn’t think I needed a ladder to inspect at this level . I was definitely wrong .
Old 10-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #34

It doesn't look "ripped off" to me. It looks like it was removed, perhaps to put on someone else's rig that needed one for some reason. I know they do this with tables, spare tires and other stuff. If they don't have one in stock, they order a new one, but take one from another rig on the lot to get the current customer out the door.

I'm betting they removed it for someone else, then either forgot about it or still have a new one order (and forgot about it). I'd have them put a new one on.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It doesn't look "ripped off" to me. It looks like it was removed, perhaps to put on someone else's rig that needed one for some reason. I know they do this with tables, spare tires and other stuff. It looks like there might be some cable under the tape - bulge at the bottom left.

I'm betting they removed it for someone else, then either forgot about it or still have a new one order (and forgot about it). I'd have them put a new one on.
I think this is what happen . They did that with my spare tire and other things on my trailer which I had noticed and talked to them about . I’m just worried that because of how they just placed this piece of tape and forgot about it could there be any other damage I am worried about ?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #36

Here is some more pictures of top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9352BAC-B5B6-4DC2-91F6-43C73820C1D8.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	216709   Click image for larger version

Name:	94E06496-FA49-4083-8B2E-170C6A45FA42.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	216710   Click image for larger version

Name:	28BD1A29-9277-419F-9F43-A791E368C2F5.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	216711  
Old 10-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #37

Drrm80 Thanks. for the reply. I went and looked at a 2019 on closeout on a lot on Oregon online and yup - there's one of those disc antennas ahead of the AC. Now I'm thinking that your TT had an antenna installed and for some reason, it was removed and stubbed over. I don't really see the delivery person "patching it", but probably the dealer. This all does sound pretty fishy now since you have NO antenna and yet the slot for a TV is on the wall so it surely was wired for an optional TV. I'm no longer thinking that the "dealer" doesn't know anything about this. Based on other issues - pricing shenagigans, missing items; may be time to talk to BBB and your Consumer protection Office in your state. Good Luck.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
Drrm80 Thanks. for the reply. I went and looked at a 2019 on closeout on a lot on Oregon online and yup - there's one of those disc antennas ahead of the AC. Now I'm thinking that your TT had an antenna installed and for some reason, it was removed and stubbed over. I don't really see the delivery person "patching it", but probably the dealer. This all does sound pretty fishy now since you have NO antenna and yet the slot for a TV is on the wall so it surely was wired for an optional TV. I'm no longer thinking that the "dealer" doesn't know anything about this. Based on other issues - pricing shenagigans, missing items; may be time to talk to BBB and your Consumer protection Office in your state. Good Luck.
This is what it looks like to me too .

I’ll see what they have to say tomorrow.

If they had just put the antenna back on after they took it off I would of never known anything happened ....

I also contacted forest river , not sure if they will do anything but I can atleast let them know of how this dealer is representing their brand and maybe they have some recommendations.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrm80 View Post
This is what it looks like to me too .

I’ll see what they have to say tomorrow.

If they had just put the antenna back on after they took it off I would of never known anything happened ....

I also contacted forest river , not sure if they will do anything but I can atleast let them know of how this dealer is representing their brand and maybe they have some recommendations.
Contacting Forest River Corporate is not a bad idea — they need to know... but we also recommend that you contact the Cherokee division which built you trailer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Contacting Forest River Corporate is not a bad idea — they need to know... but we also recommend that you contact the Cherokee division which built you trailer.
I think thats who I contacted . When I went to the contact us on their website I clicked travel trailers / Cherokee .