Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and to TTs. I've been using forums for years now and I have come to realize that they are one of the best tools I've come accross. That being said, I could use some advice. I'm going to look at an 05 28a+. Is there anything I should look out for? Problems etc. I've looked at the 28a+ online and love the layout. Has much changed since the 05 model?

Thank you
Bill
Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #2

to FRF!

While I don't have any advice on the trailer you are looking at I can tell you to shop around. Take a friend with you, pref someone who has some experience. Don't empulse buy, take your time. When you do decide on what you want, get a PDI (pre delivery inspection) sheet and go over the rig with a fine tooth comb. Take a digital camera and a flashlight and expect to spend about 2 hours going over everything. Finally, ask questions. Someone here is bound to have the answer for you. If not we'll make something up .

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

I just put a bunch of RV links under the links section of the forum...you might enjoy looking at those. Maybe the admin will put some of them in the "useful link" box, huh Mike?

Anyway, that's a neat floorplan, and welcome to the forum. You'll find it a friendly spot and even the rankest newbie is genuinely welcome.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #4

Welcome to the Forest River Forums Bill. We are glad you found the site and look forward to helping you out in any way we can. As far as trailers go, we follow the idea that if we like it and can afford it and tow it, we will get it and worry about the problems, if any, later. Thus far that has worked well in the three trailers we have had.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #5

howdy
visit often and pull up a chair
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome to the forum. Great advice already given. I totally agree with it all.
Jump in with questions anytime.

I'm not familiar with the Cherokee line either. They aren't sold in my area.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #7

whoo hoo my 29a+ gets delivered tomorrow!

Well I should get mine tomorrow! Being delivered. Did I follow all the advice above.... sort of. I did buy from a distance though so my inspection will be on delivery not smart but I did feel like I saved a ton of money buying elsewhere. I got tired real quick of the whole carsalesmen mentality.... my lowest price then ten minutes later my lowest price lower...etc.

Steve
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #8

I have a B+

Bunkhouse with slideouts is what I am getting... can't wait.
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Congrats! Just do a thorough inspection when you receive it then. Hopefully, they'll send someone that can 'quick fix' anything you might find. That's kinda how my delivery went on my new trailer. I was able to geive it a quick PDI on the lot, and pointed out a few things...but much of the system checks couldn't be done until it was 'onsite' at my seasonal space.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice. Radio a read a lot of the links today. Very usefull info. I went and looked at the trailer today, I have questions.
1) the tabs on the grey water tank vavlve were missing but the valve still functioned.
2) I believe the battery is either dead or not hooked up. He plugged the 7 pin connector in but none of the interior lights came on. Is there a special way the lights come on when its on battery? Should they work with it plugged into the tow vehicle 7 pin connector? His cord for 110v went through the lawn mower today. He's getting another one and I'm going back on Sunday to see the other things work.
3) He activated the pressure relieve valve on the water heater and the water was brown, Any concerns?

4) The grab bar for the stairs is pulled off of the side leaving 4 screw holes in the side. He added it, it only screwed into the siding.

I talked him down to $12k. He bought a park model and doesn't want to hold onto it for the winter. It has a skylight in the bathroom as well as a fantastic fan. He is including a rease weight hitch.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #11

1. Have him replace the valve on the gray water tank. Working or not, it should be complete.

2. Have him put another charged battery on to see if the lights work. If they don't, there may be electrical issues. Check to be sure all the breakers are on.

3. Have the hot water tank flushed throughly to clean it out.

4. Sounds like the grab bar wasn't put on properly to begin with. I hope he fixed it correctly.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #12

1) the tabs on the grey water tank vavlve were missing but the valve still functioned.

Are you referring to the handles? These can be purchased at any RV center. But you may want to have the entire valve replaced.

2) I believe the battery is either dead or not hooked up. He plugged the 7 pin connector in but none of the interior lights came on. Is there a special way the lights come on when its on battery? Should they work with it plugged into the tow vehicle 7 pin connector? His cord for 110v went through the lawn mower today. He's getting another one and I'm going back on Sunday to see the other things work.

Get a fresh battery and check this. Some trailers may draw some DC from the tow vehicle’s power when hooked up. Mine doesn’t. You need to be able to check with a battery. Hook a set of jumper cables up between your truck and the battery if you have to. Yes you also need to check out with the AC plugged in as well. Both the AC appliances and the AC to DC power converter.

3) He activated the pressure relieve valve on the water heater and the water was brown, Any concerns?

The water system probably needs a good flushing. Make sure the water heater works though. If it's both an AC and gas, check both functions.

4) The grab bar for the stairs is pulled off of the side leaving 4 screw holes in the side. He added it, it only screwed into the siding.

If the only damage is some small holes then fine, those can be repaired with an inexpensive fiberglass repair kit and the handle mounted properly.

I talked him down to $12k. He bought a park model and doesn't want to hold onto it for the winter. It has a skylight in the bathroom as well as a fantastic fan. He is including a rease weight hitch.[/QUOTE]

How much is the same model running new? May be able to go even lower?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #13

Dang Kim,

I musta been typing mine up when you posted yours!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #14

Great minds think alike. You did add some things I forgot though.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

Nada says it (05 cherokee 28a+) goes for $14,500 . Calling around I can get a new 07 for 19,500 over the phone. I figure I could get the dealer down somewhere between 17500 - 18000. If I travel to MI I can get a new 08 for 16,500. He is also giving me a reese round bar cam hitch. Like this one. http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/d...ID=66077&dlr=0
it also has the skylight in the bathroom which I believe is an option for this model as well. It looks to be in good condition and clean. He Also bought a 4 year extended warranty that is transferrable and ends 04/09.

Bill
Old 10-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #16

sounds like you may be getting a pretty darn good deal then especially with the transferable warranty

keep us posted

greg

Tags
cherokee