Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Newbie first trips and backing up

We purchased a new 2017 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16bhs in June and absolutely love it. We have taken it out now 4 different times and just returned from a ten day trip. Being new to the travel trailer thing I wasn't so sure I would like it especially when trying to back it up. Thanks to this forum and youtube we back it up easily. Still wouldn't watch us and say "wow, they make it look easy, " but you all were right. Practice, practice. We have had zero problems other than at high altitude with our generators. The battery lasts a long time, the fresh water tank holds enough for 4 solid days. Just love how easy it is to get set up and the convenience. Now it is just my husband and me with our labrador. If we had our kids with us when they were young, this trailer would be way too small. But at this point in our lives I have only good things to say. Just wanted to share and again thanks for the backing up support and instruction.
JoJackKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

We actually picked up a 16BHS this past weekend as well. We have only had the chance to spend one night in it so far, but we loved it and are looking forward to another trip this weekend. So far I don't think we have any complaints or problems outside of the usual stuff with any other travel trailer. Did you have any issues with anything or come up with anything we should be aware of? Good luck to you both, have lots of fun!
lichen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

We found we learn something every time we take it out. Lol. We really didn't know anything about travel trailers before this one. One camp host showed us hoe to empty our tanks. He was so nice. The two things we learned this time was that when you camp above roughly 4000 feet and you have two yamaha generators to run parallel in order to run the ac, you need to have them adjusted or they won't work for the ac. The other thing was that we were leaking propane. It turns out it wasn't a big deal because it was the bolt thing at the end of the line to the trailer came loose. We are thinking about getting a little longer line to make it not so touchy. Other than that it has been awesome. Everything is so easy. Even the microwave worked well on the one night we treated ourselves to a full hookup for our last night on the road. We normally boondock. Love it and can't say enough about how much we are enjoying it. I hope your travels are fun and easy as well. Oh by the way we did help the mattress by putting a topper for a queen and it works well. Next year we'll put in a good mattress but for now this is acceptable.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

We too have a 16BHS and we have found it to be just the right size for myself, my wife and our 2 small children. The biggest thing that we have learned is that if you let your battery drain down too far, you will be awoken at 2am when your propane detector starts going off because of the low voltage. Great way to wake up the whole family!
jamessandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

So what did you do to stop it? Did you turn off the propane? We have gone 4 days and the battery was still at 3/4 charge. We figured if it went down to 1/2 we would boost it with the generator.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of a generator yet and the site we were at did not have power, so I actually backed our Explorer up and plugged the 8-pin connector back in. The propane detector got enough juice from the car to be happy. 2am crisis avoided!
jamessandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

We have a 2015 16BHS and love it. I've made a few modifications that make it a little more livable. We also added the mattress topper and now love to sleep in it almost as much as our bed at home.
In the winter, the propane furnace wakes me up when it clicks off and on with the thermostat so I started running the AC fan (in fan only mode) all night to drown out the heater noise and circulate the warm air.

Click HERE to see some pictures of the modifications made to "The Pup"
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessandberg View Post
Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of a generator yet and the site we were at did not have power, so I actually backed our Explorer up and plugged the 8-pin connector back in. The propane detector got enough juice from the car to be happy. 2am crisis avoided!
Pretty quick thinking! Especially at 2am!
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags