Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

No hot water in kitchen

So I'm a full timer in Seattle area where current temps are at 19. I have hot water in my bathroom but no hot water (or any water) comes out the hot water fawcet in kitchen. Any ideas? We are keeping it around 65 inside. We have a arctic wolf. We do get cold water out of cold Fawcett.
flcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

my first guess would be a frozen water line between where it comes into the rv and the kitchen. odd the hot would freeze and not the cold (unless the hot runs somewhere different where it is closer to the cold) I would try running a space heater in a basement, or storage area near the problem.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
my first guess would be a frozen water line between where it comes into the rv and the kitchen. odd the hot would freeze and not the cold (unless the hot runs somewhere different where it is closer to the cold) I would try running a space heater in a basement, or storage area near the problem.
I've got an enclosed underbelly so as far as I know there's no access to lines. Really strange. I'll have to see what happens when it warms a little though we aren't supposed to be above freezing for a few days.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

It's an arctic wolf 285drl
Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #5

Living near the Canadian border in upstate NY, the hot water line almost always freezes before the cold water line.

Try leaving the cabinet door under the sink open to get more heat into that space. The lines MAY be inside the "living space", instead of through the underbelly, from the bathroom to the kitchen (mine are in my Prime Time Avenger) so removing the access panel under the shower may also help. A hairdryer moved along the length of the pipe can speed things up and help get heat to the frozen section. Given the pipe is plastic, not metal, I'd probably stick to a low to medium setting. It will take longer, but I'd less likely to damage the pipe. The newer pipes are less likely to burst from being frozen, but be sure to watch for leaks when it does thaw. Good luck and keep us posted.

One final thought, if you are using an electric space heater to help heat the living space you may not be getting enough heat in the underbelly as the furnace won't be cycling as often it as long.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #6

Thank you! This is very re reassuring. We are new to all this so these forums greatly help! We had been relying in our space heaters so I have a feeling that's the main issue. We started running furnace more often now so fingers crossed no damage was done last night. Also now have cabinet door open in kitchen to help with circulation.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

If no hot water comes out at all, there might be anode crud/calcium nuggets clogging the hot water side of the valve. You might need to work under the sink to see it water will flow out the pipe when disconnected from the valve.

If water is flowing but cold, check the outside shower wand to make sure the valves are not open and the wand button closed allowing cold water to mix with the hot on the way to the kitchen.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #8

We do have cold water in all facets and hot in bathroom. Just no hot in kitchen. Hoping when it thaws it will start running again. Running furnace now to keep underbelly warmer. That was stupid on our part but I guess you live and learn. I get a single drip but then nothing. Just glad we at least still have cold water for now. One more night in teens then overnight temps in 20s coming up with highs just around or above freezing. We definatley were not expecting it to be this cold here.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
bloodybill

giving you a plumbers perspective on your no hot water at the kitchen faucet
after 44 yrs of experience
believe it or not water on the hot side will always freeze quicker
science says once the water is heated it separates the molecules making the water more susceptible to freeze first even if the water has cooled down it does not reverse the molecules

if i had a service call to you place
without ripping out the belly to access the pipes,
there,s not much you can do

make sure if some body is going to be there turn the hot side faucet half on just to help pressure build up from the expanding ice
although its highly likely any damage has been done,
if damage is done and when that hot pipe breaks loose its likely to flood the belly and lower floor
so when you are not using the hotwater heater
turn the electric or propane off to the tank
otherwise its going to run like a run away train and then cause damage to the tank and surrounding area
unless you want to put a heated blower in the area,
its a waiting game
good luck
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Good news is I had furnace running most of day with cabinet door and drawers open. Just tested and hot water is now running normally! Checked lines from what I could see and don't see any leaks. Will be sure furnace is running more now and not relying too heavily on the space heaters. Fingers crossed no issues tonight as it's gonna be close to 10 degrees. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #11

Glad to hear you got your hot water running in your kitchen. I looked at your floorplan and with your kitchen sink in an island your water lines are (most likely) running through the underbelly from the bathroom to the kitchen, so if you do have a leak it will be down there. Watch for water dripping out of the edges of the Chloroplast. It can actually be easier to spot in the dark with a flashlight as the light reflects off the drops.

Also watch for leaks around and below your outside shower. It probably froze before your kitchen hot water. Remove the wand and the shower head. If you have something soft to act as insulation stuff it in the compartment and close and lock the cover.

Before you go to bed and as soon as you get up briefly run water at each tap. If you are up during the night run them then too. The longer the lines sit stagnate the higher the chance of them freezing. Just like a pond freezes before a steam or river.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the additional info. Never even thought of the outside shower as I've never even opened the door! Will take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Tags
hot water, water