Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Outdoor fridge door opens while in transit

What are you doing to keep your fridge door closed for the duration? We typically have drinks in ours and they don't stay put and the door is open when we arrive.

I'd love to see two magnetic pads (assuming the door is magnetic) joined together by a 6" long strap. One pad on the side of the fridge and one on the door until you get to your destination.

My other thought was to find a thick piece of foam that I could stick to the fridge door and it would be compressed by the camper door when closed.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

I have heard others use command hooks with a small strap or bunji cord. One on door face and one on the side.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #3

Yeah, that could work.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

We use a child-proof cabinet latch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

I use a rubber door stopper under the door. It comes in handy also when airing it out when not plugged in. I had one lying around.
Attached Images

2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
I use a rubber door stopper under the door. It comes in handy also when airing it out when not plugged in. I had one lying around.
LOL, as do I! Perhaps I will see if the spacing is right to use it!! I re-anchored mine as close to the outer surface as I felt comfortable doing. I was going to borrow some clay from my kids to get an idea of how much gap there really is between the doors.

The child safety latches would probably be the most secure and no chance of losing anything. Was hoping to find just that, but magnetic instead.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
Mopar Guy

i use to use a piece of pool noodle between fridge door and cabinet door.
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I am using a tie down strap from an old trailer cover around the middle of the fridge.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I am using a tie down strap from an old trailer cover around the middle of the fridge.
This is what I do too.

An added caution - I've made the mistake of having my outside frig door open when plugging in my camper at home (in preparation for an upcoming trip). The result was my poor little dorm-style frig trying to cool down a 20 x 40 uninsulated building in 90 degree heat. Needless to say, it was running nonstop. When I found it 3 days later, the frig was hot - I mean really hot - on all outside surfaces. Could it have gotten hot enough to cause a fire?? Not sure, but I also don't really want to find out.

So, now my approach is to turn the frig off (turn internal temp setting to off) when I unload it after a trip. That way it won't be running until I want it to (and after I can make sure the door is closed).

Pete
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

Outdoor Fridge

We have a two door fridge which I secure by sticking a cutting board with magnets across the doors. Works like a charm. I've also seen people use the child safety stick-on latches with good success.
Malonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #11

Maybe our refrigerator is different, but you push the door closed (hard) until it clicks, and its locked in place until you pull it to open it.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #12

I replaced the fridge in my outside kitchen with a freezer. Keep the door closed with a childproof "lock".

Second season and nothing spilled after numerous Forest Service roads.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #13

Open door

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
What are you doing to keep your fridge door closed for the duration? We typically have drinks in ours and they don't stay put and the door is open when we arrive.

I'd love to see two magnetic pads (assuming the door is magnetic) joined together by a 6" long strap. One pad on the side of the fridge and one on the door until you get to your destination.

My other thought was to find a thick piece of foam that I could stick to the fridge door and it would be compressed by the camper door when closed.

Try 1” Velcro strips top and bottom, it’ll stay closed. I used it on outdoor fridge on our deck to keep raccoons at bay, it works
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I replaced the fridge in my outside kitchen with a freezer. Keep the door closed with a childproof "lock".

Second season and nothing spilled after numerous Forest Service roads.
It sure would be nice to have a beer fridge made to hold bottles and cans that is about half the size we have, then have an ice maker in there! That would be a great package. But we don't find ourselves needing freezer space much.

Velcro could work. Stick a pad on the body and one on the door with another strip to bridge the to while in transit... Cheap and easy.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #15

I mounted one of these on the metal shelf edge at the bottom of the fridge. Up keeps the door securely closed during travel. I use a small carabiner to keep the latch’s position secure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRH62H4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:

Bungee cord around fridge. Of course with all the bouncing around you really need to open door slowly to catch what is “going” to fall out when you arrive at your destination.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #17
rfifer

I use velcro wrapped around the side of our garage freezer to ensure the door remains tightly closed. The same thing would work for the outside fridge. A word of caution, however. I learned that velcro is not velcro is not velcro. In other words, there are different strength of adhesion and also velcro connectivity. There is an industrial strength velcro that works very well. That is what I would recommend to be sure that 1) the backside adhesion sticks well and 2) the hook in loop does not come apart from anything heavy (i.e., liquid) inside the fridge when going around a curve.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
i use to use a piece of pool noodle between fridge door and cabinet door.

This has served us well for over 18000 miles and they are

1.00 at (guess where),
THE DOLLAR STORE.

We just place it to the right side of the fridge by the wall and then wrap it around to the back, close the door on it and never a problem.

However you still need to open the door slowly as things inside are still free to move. Our fix for that is to use small boxes for sodas and beers and the like. Its much easier to open the door and hold back a box than to try to hold back 10 15 loose sodas or beers

Great suggestion.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:

Velcro could work. Stick a pad on the body and one on the door with another strip to bridge the to while in transit... Cheap and easy.
That’s what I use on mine. Also use on my residential frig freezer inside so when you close the frig door the freezer doesn’t pop open unknowingly. I wanna say we got gorilla brand hook and loop worked great so far 4 years later.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Bungee cord around fridge. Of course with all the bouncing around you really need to open door slowly to catch what is “going” to fall out when you arrive at your destination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	261656
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge