Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 09:24 PM   #1

Power Inverter in battery Bank

I am going to install a 2000W Renogy inverter. I would love to install it in my front bin of my fifth wheel, where my batteries are. That way everything is tidy, and close together. The instructions on the inverter say not to install it in an area with the battery. My batteries are both in closed boxes, vented together with 2 hoses, and a vent coming out the front of the fifth wheel. My question is: With the batteries in boxes and vented would it be ok to install the inverter in there with the batteries, or will it cause problems like they say it will in the instructions.
kevinB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:48 PM   #2

That's a tough call. What if the vent hose leaks? The only way aroundit would be to switcht o lifepo4 batteries.

Is there enough ventilation for the inverterter to run. Without getting to hot?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #3

Is the vent directly on the battery or is it for the box. If it is on the box, the box will have some corrosive components (not good for inverters). In extreme cases its an explosive atmosphere. That for acid batteries, as noted lithium is fine.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
Is the vent directly on the battery or is it for the box. If it is on the box, the box will have some corrosive components (not good for inverters). In extreme cases its an explosive atmosphere. That for acid batteries, as noted lithium is fine.
The battery boxes each have a vent, that are tied together and ran to a vet outside the trailer
Old 04-14-2023, 09:03 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinB24 View Post
I am going to install a 2000W Renogy inverter. I would love to install it in my front bin of my fifth wheel, where my batteries are. That way everything is tidy, and close together. The instructions on the inverter say not to install it in an area with the battery. My batteries are both in closed boxes, vented together with 2 hoses, and a vent coming out the front of the fifth wheel. My question is: With the batteries in boxes and vented would it be ok to install the inverter in there with the batteries, or will it cause problems like they say it will in the instructions.
If this is the case (as in many 5th wheels) this is exactly where the factory installed inverter is located. Mine is this way as was my last one. The instructions are telling you to not locate the inverter inside an open area/storage where the batteries have no isolation.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If this is the case (as in many 5th wheels) this is exactly where the factory installed inverter is located. Mine is this way as was my last one. The instructions are telling you to not locate the inverter inside an open area/storage where the batteries have no isolation.
That is what I was thinking and makes the most sense. Would it be beneficial to drill a 2-3 in hole in the bottom of the front basement floor to add another ventilation spot. Each battery box has a hole in the bottom venting out the floor of the basement as well as the top
Old 04-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
That is what I was thinking and makes the most sense. Would it be beneficial to drill a 2-3 in hole in the bottom of the front basement floor to add another ventilation spot. Each battery box has a hole in the bottom venting out the floor of the basement as well as the top
Regular battery boxes perhaps. Battery boxes with vent hoses do not vent out bottom.

A 3" hole in the floor is of little to no benefit as hydrogen is lighter than air and will rose. This is why hoses vent upward.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
What is the maximum sustainable discharge rate of the bank of batteries?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
What is the maximum sustainable discharge rate of the bank of batteries?
Good question all this electrical stuff is over my head
Old 04-14-2023, 10:28 PM   #10

Ah don't worry about it the worst thing that can happen is it will blow the bin door off then it will have plenty of air. LOL
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Good question all this electrical stuff is over my head
What kind of batteries are they (size, voltage, amp hours) and how many are there?

2KW draws a lot of current at 12VDC. Different types of batteries (basically, lead-acid or lithium iron phosphate) can deliver current to the inverter at different rates. If your battery bank isn't capable of delivering current at the required rate, it won't work.

Old 04-15-2023, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
Ah don't worry about it the worst thing that can happen is it will blow the bin door off then it will have plenty of air. LOL
True that...no worries then
Old 04-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
What kind of batteries are they (size, voltage, amp hours) and how many are there?

2KW draws a lot of current at 12VDC. Different types of batteries (basically, lead-acid or lithium iron phosphate) can deliver current to the inverter at different rates. If your battery bank isn't capable of delivering current at the required rate, it won't work.
They are lead acid batteries (2) that came with the unit so I am not sure
Old 04-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I am no expert on this, but what 5picker says sounds very reasonable to me.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:16 PM   #15

For the reasons stated above, FLA batteries vent hydrogen gas when charging and discharging. Recall what happened to the Hindenburg. BOOM

The use of AGM or Lithium batteries or such is much preferred. No gas to vent.

FLA = Flooded Lead Acid which is what is most likely the type supplied by the dealer originally.

A 2000-watt inverter at rated load or thereabouts will pull up to 175 amps from the batteries. A pure sine wave inverter will be a bit more efficient but still will pull about 150 amps. A modified sine wave inverter will be less efficient.

Be sure your batteries can deliver the required amps and for the period the inverter will be used. What you will find is that FLA batteries rated at 100aH can only be discharged about 50% without suffering damage. So those two each 100 aH batteries will only have 100 aH total available.

One really needs to know the load expected and the current and efficiency of the inverter in order to determine just how much battery capacity is needed. Most inverters at idle or no load will draw 2 to 3 amps when on. Add a few watts and the current increases in proportion to the load.

The math works. You really need the advice of a degree EE at minimum.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
They are lead acid batteries (2) that came with the unit so I am not sure
There should be some information on the battery labels, e.g., brand, size, model, amp capacity. Providing that here may result in useful advice.

I suspect they are inadequate for a 2KW inverter. What are you hoping to operate with the inverter?

Old 04-16-2023, 10:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
... The math works. You really need the advice of a degree EE at minimum.
Bob, that's a bit of a stretch. Many contributors here can provide useful advice, but not without more information.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
I don't know how old your FLA batteries are but if you plan on camping for 10 years or more I would bite the bullet and install Lithium batteries. If you trade up to a new camper you can remove your lithium batteries and install them in your new camper. I feel FLA batteries will leave you wanting more and remember FLA batteries need to charge at least 10 hours to get a 90% charge where LIfpo4 only need 6 hours to get about the same or maybe 100% charge. I had FLA batteries and as I said they left me wanting went to LIfpo4 and it solved most of my problems. I do camp in late fall down below 30 degrees. So I purchased the Chins smart batteries that have built in heaters and work great for what I do just something to think about. Another thing to think about is the LIfpo4 can be used for trolling motor if you have a boat.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
There should be some information on the battery labels, e.g., brand, size, model, amp capacity. Providing that here may result in useful advice.

I suspect they are inadequate for a 2KW inverter. What are you hoping to operate with the inverter?
I was going to tie the inverter into my plugs to run coffee pot, charge my fan batteries and rub my TV. Not all at the same time though.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
I was going to tie the inverter into my plugs to run coffee pot, charge my fan batteries and rub my TV. Not all at the same time though.
You still have not provided enough information to determine whether that will work. The 2KW inverter can't magically produce enough current to run the coffee pot if your batteries aren't capable of supplying it. I suspect they don't have the juice.

Tags
battery, inverter, power