Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Propane Tanks in the way of WDH brackets? (2012 Grey Wolf 28BH)

Howdy All,

Just picked up my first TT and am in need of a some advice!

I've got a 2012 Grey Wolf 28BH and a Curt 17500 WDH. The WDH instructions call for mounting the brackets 4 inches from the end of the spring bar. Which falls right at the propane tank. When I mount the brackets behind the tank I only have 1-2 inches of spring bar sitting on the L bracket and they slip out when I'm making sharp turns. Curt is apparently aware of this issue and has started making spring bars that are 2 inches longer but are back ordered till the end of June and I've already got (at least) 2 trips planned by then.

Has anyone ever relocated the welded on propane tank brackets? Preferably I'd like to move them a little closer to the tongue if possible.

Thanks for the help!
TX_AG_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Going to have to watch this one. I needed a heavier WDH for the new trailer and bought that one. I have the hitch but not the trailer and was a little worried about that.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with your trailer or hitch but I had a similar problem with my Vibe 268RKS and Equalizer hitch - the L brackets were supposed to go right where the propane tank pan is. I solved this problem by elevating the propane tank on a couple of 2x4's. This gave me enough clearance to mount my brackets.

Don't know if this will help you but it may give you an idea for a similar fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	106099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2485.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	106100  
Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Thanks for all the input guys. I was a little mistaken in my first post. I thought the tanks were welded in but after further inspection this afternoon the propane mounting bracket is bolted to the frame. For whatever reason when I was installing the hitch originally I didn't think to remove one of the propane tanks to inspect how the bracket was attached to the frame.

With that being said I was able to unscrew and remove the propane mounting bracket from the frame and mount my WDH "L" Brackets where they are supposed to be. I ended up scooting the propane mounting bracket about 2 inches closer to the tongue and everything fits great!

Now to find/replace that cheater bar I left on the bumper while heading to the storage unit!
TX_AG_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Thinking I`m going to have to cut my tray out for my U bolts to fit over the tongue.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AG_10 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I was a little mistaken in my first post. I thought the tanks were welded in but after further inspection this afternoon the propane mounting bracket is bolted to the frame. For whatever reason when I was installing the hitch originally I didn't think to remove one of the propane tanks to inspect how the bracket was attached to the frame.

With that being said I was able to unscrew and remove the propane mounting bracket from the frame and mount my WDH "L" Brackets where they are supposed to be. I ended up scooting the propane mounting bracket about 2 inches closer to the tongue and everything fits great!

Now to find/replace that cheater bar I left on the bumper while heading to the storage unit!

Oh I hate when that happens. My dad did that with one of his bars. He never found it. He had to order another one.

If you must use wood on the tongue you might at least consider something treated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
If you must use wood on the tongue you might at least consider something treated.
Agreed. The wood in the picture above is treated. Also, all that stuff is behind the nose cover so it doesn't get much weather exposure. It was going to be a quick fix until I got some steel bars but it is light and has held up well so I'm sticking with it for now.

Tags
2012, 28bh, grey wolf, propane, tank