Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

Questions about Wolf Pup 16FQ/BHS

Hi all--we're looking at buying a 2020 or 2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ. It looks like a really good fit for us and there seem to be a lot of them for sale. I have some specific questions and would love to hear about owners' experiences.

How is the 12v refrigerator? It sure is nice and big and probably less trouble than propane, but we'll be doing a fair amount of camping without hookups and I'm wondering how long it can run on the battery. Have people installed extra batteries or solar panels to help with this?

How useful is the convertible sofa setup and is the bed comfortable? We love the idea of having a couch but it looks like a lot of work to convert it. If you buy a new one-piece mattress, can you still convert the bed into a couch?

What are you towing it with? It's one of the heavier trailers we're looking at. We have a Toyota Highlander with a 5,000 lb towing capacity, so the Wolf Pup seems to be well under the limit, but I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Any other issues? Things you love or hate? Thanks for your help!

Gabe
x94cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

Didn't realize they went to a 12 volt fridge. Our 2019 has the propane option and works out just fine. I'd want really good batteries for an all-electric boondocking experience. These come with pre-wired solar hookups of some sort which might help keep things charged up a bit. Otherwise, I'd want a generator in that situation.
Since the title included BHS, I will say the bed situation in it is a little awkward for 2 people since one person will have to crawl over the other to get out.
Looks like the FQ has a fold-out couch or murphy bed setup which presents it's own set of challenges.
They do manage to cram a lot of features in Wolfpups like the larger fridge and bathrooms not always found in smaller RVs. Those are two of the things that drew us to it.
I'd like to hear how midsize SUV's do with that sort of weight. We bought our Tundra before we knew exactly what trailer we'd be getting. It's effortless over the mountains out west, but I wouldn't say it's overkill. Anything much less might get bogged down a bit on steeper inclines.
They're lightweight single-axle trailers so the need for sway control is even greater in my opinion. Even with that, wind can be quite the issue.
Some people have had issues when using a weight distribution hitch and a smaller trailer similar to these, but after 10k miles, we've had no tire wear or axle damage. It depends on your particular setup I guess, but just thought that would be something to be aware of. I think it pertains more to heavier trucks and lighter trailers where too much weight is being distributed back to a trailer that's not designed for that kind of weight.

Trailer:2019 Cherokee Wolfpup 16BHS
Truck: 2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6L
wipup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

Our 2018 only has a propane/120v fridge, both work modes well and didn't seem to consume much propane when we're off grid.
Ours has quite a few upgrades like dual propane tanks and dual 6v batteries, which adds a fair bit to the tongue weight. Towing it with a 2011 4.6 v8 Tundra and it handles it quite well - though when heading out with a full tank of water and gear for a long weekend of boondocking, it takes a bit longer going up the mountains here in BC as I don't want to suck back the gas more than I need to. If you start adding things the Highlander might struggle on longer hills (up and down). Zero issues with trailer sway - could be the extra weight? Honestly, the trailer hardly budges even when when an 18 wheeler goes by the opposite way on a narrow highway. A fully empty trailer might be a different story. Tundras, and I think most Toyotas with tow capability have passive trailer sway control (not a substitute for WDH) which can help prevent a dangerous level of trailer sway.

Ours doesn't have the loveseat, but I can see the benefit if you spend any amount of time sitting indoors - the dinette isn't the most comfortable for long periods (even with upgraded foam). But I'm curious too about the bed comfort level - I'm sure we've all had bad experiences with convertable beds (sofabeds) and I'd also like to hear from others on this.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

The all electric 120v refer is not the best option for boondocking. They will use up your battery in just a few hours. It would take a fair amount of solar to recharge.
Do a search and read up so you are not disappointed.
12v/propane is the way to go.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

I have a Wolf Pup 16BHS the 120v/Propane fridge and it works well in either setting. As far as towing goes, when I purchased my TT I had a Grand Cherokee V6 with the tow package rated for 6750 pounds. Thought it would be fine, but I was wrong. It certainly could tow it, but it was not an enjoyable experience, and traveling at true freeway speeds bordered on terrifying... Wind resistance is a factor I did not concider near enough. The towing capacity charts actually have a column for frontal service area maximums that I never knew about so you may be able to find that for the Highlander.

Long story short is I traded in the Grand Cherokee for a Ram1500 with the tow package and now am comfortable going anywhere we need or want to go.
johnsamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by graman View Post
Our 2018 only has a propane/120v fridge, both work modes well and didn't seem to consume much propane when we're off grid.
Ours has quite a few upgrades like dual propane tanks and dual 6v batteries, which adds a fair bit to the tongue weight. Towing it with a 2011 4.6 v8 Tundra and it handles it quite well - though when heading out with a full tank of water and gear for a long weekend of boondocking, it takes a bit longer going up the mountains here in BC as I don't want to suck back the gas more than I need to. If you start adding things the Highlander might struggle on longer hills (up and down). Zero issues with trailer sway - could be the extra weight? Honestly, the trailer hardly budges even when when an 18 wheeler goes by the opposite way on a narrow highway. A fully empty trailer might be a different story. Tundras, and I think most Toyotas with tow capability have passive trailer sway control (not a substitute for WDH) which can help prevent a dangerous level of trailer sway.

Ours doesn't have the loveseat, but I can see the benefit if you spend any amount of time sitting indoors - the dinette isn't the most comfortable for long periods (even with upgraded foam). But I'm curious too about the bed comfort level - I'm sure we've all had bad experiences with convertable beds (sofabeds) and I'd also like to hear from others on this.
My problem with sway may have something to do with the amount of weight on the tongue. Over time, we shifted more weight to the front which did seem to help. Eventually, I plan to add another propane tank and possibly an additional battery so that might make things better when towing.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipup View Post
My problem with sway may have something to do with the amount of weight on the tongue. Over time, we shifted more weight to the front which did seem to help. Eventually, I plan to add another propane tank and possibly an additional battery so that might make things better when towing.
Check your weights at a scale. Truck alone, truck with TT no WDH, truck with TT & WDH With spring bars on. You can figure your tongue weight from there, allow for weight taken off steer axle and put on drive axle.
I towed my BHS16 first with a 2008 Explorer V6 tow package rated 5225#. I had no sway probs and it towed great except for low power on hills and huge wind drag on the interstate, a little over on frontal area. Walk through your WDH install procedure and make sure it is set up per factory. Turns out my dealer tech set up my WDH perfectly. WDH specs were close when I bought my F150 so I was able to use as set. I recently flipped my axle for ground clearance and had to literally flip my WDH drawbar for the 5" gain on the TT. So I went over the install again.
Main point: make sure your WDH is performing as designed.
Secondary point: TT frontal area can be a huge engine power suck.

Note on tow ratings: Tow ratings are based on GCWR minus empty tow vehicle with full gas and two 150# people aboard. So ANYTHING else in the truck counts against not just your truck cargo capacity but also your tow rating. With the Explorer, I was at about 75% tow rating but at about 95% GCWR. So I was really making that vehicle work hard, add in a bit of over recommended frontal area, and it really showed on ANY rise on the interstate.

More tongue weight needed? Under bed storage area, move some stuff there, less under the bunks behind the axle & the bench storage over the axle.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

I'm towing my 2020 FQ with a 2010 Colorado 3.7L I5. It's rated for 5KLB, 6KLB w.WDH. So far, no issues but it does suck the gas down quickly. Unless I am on a flat freeway I do not drive in OD.
Heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Check your weights at a scale. Truck alone, truck with TT no WDH, truck with TT & WDH With spring bars on. You can figure your tongue weight from there, allow for weight taken off steer axle and put on drive axle.
I towed my BHS16 first with a 2008 Explorer V6 tow package rated 5225#. I had no sway probs and it towed great except for low power on hills and huge wind drag on the interstate, a little over on frontal area. Walk through your WDH install procedure and make sure it is set up per factory. Turns out my dealer tech set up my WDH perfectly. WDH specs were close when I bought my F150 so I was able to use as set. I recently flipped my axle for ground clearance and had to literally flip my WDH drawbar for the 5" gain on the TT. So I went over the install again.
Main point: make sure your WDH is performing as designed.
Secondary point: TT frontal area can be a huge engine power suck.

Note on tow ratings: Tow ratings are based on GCWR minus empty tow vehicle with full gas and two 150# people aboard. So ANYTHING else in the truck counts against not just your truck cargo capacity but also your tow rating. With the Explorer, I was at about 75% tow rating but at about 95% GCWR. So I was really making that vehicle work hard, add in a bit of over recommended frontal area, and it really showed on ANY rise on the interstate.

More tongue weight needed? Under bed storage area, move some stuff there, less under the bunks behind the axle & the bench storage over the axle.
Thanks for the info.
I'm certain we're well within any of the weight ratings for the Tundra. The trailer itself is about 50%, if that, of what the truck can handle. Total we're probably closer to 75-80%.
We did shift much of the weight to under the bed and that did seem to help.
I'm concerned my shocks may be worn a bit. We also have an Airlift airbag system that I've played around with the pressures on.
Those two things may have contributed to our issues. I plan on getting them worked out sooner than later.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #10
WolfPup16FQCT

I realized this after I bought mine. The dealer said it should last a weekend, but I always carry an extra battery, and mine came with a solar pack on the roof, so I'm not going to worry about it. Since there is no camping yet (co-vid), I haven't really tested it, but boy did that freezer start up cold right away! Plus, the refrigerator is so big (for such a small unit), I figure the worst thing that could happen is that I have to break out a small cooler, waiting in the wings--I could even place it inside the fridge.

I tow with a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4. More than enough tow capacity.
Nissan Frontier 6cyl, 4x4 (2016)
MarsbarsCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #11

towing

My 2020 fridge is AC or propane and works really fast. Im towing it with a ford flex limited with factory tow package, fords computerized anti-sway and a antisway added to the hitch. It has the 3.5 ecoboost and tows quite nicely so far
NWFungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

I have a 2020 16FQ. Some random thoughts:

1. Converting from sofa/bad to bed/sofa takes about 10 seconds. You can keep the bed fully made and still fold it in half.

2. The mattress is awful, however we added a good quality 3" foam mattress topper. It can still fold in half and is really comfy! I didn't bother cutting the end off, still works fine. It's held to the mattress with the mattress protector that came with the topper.

3. We tow with a 2013 Pathfinder, max tow weight #5000. We have a WDH with an anti-sway bar. In over 2000 miles of driving we have only had one episode of sway. I made sure that the trailer is level when setting up the WDH.

4. Ours came with the solar panel on the roof. I'm not sure how much that helps as we haven't tried dry camping yet.

5. I am surprised to learn that others with recent versions of this trailer have a propane option for their fridge. As far as I am aware we don't.

Andy
AndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #13

I had a Class C with 12/120 fridge, no propane. My battery would work for one day without recharging. I added a 100 watt solar panel and it extended my battery life. I will never own another camper with a fridge that does not have a propane option.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

WP FQ Murphy Bed 2021

I'm picking up WP FQ Murphy Bed 2021 (manufacture date of 2/2020) mid June; I vaguely remember salesman saying propane/battery for fridge but I will confirm and post back.
Newbie to this TT towing thing. Rig is VW Atlas 4WD SEL - 5k & 500 lbs towing/tongue weight. Will be going with anti-sway bar only during pickup - no WD as VW suggested. Will be using Draw-Tite Ball Mount for 2" Hitches - 3/4" Rise, 2" Drop - 8-1/2" Long - 7.5K and Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 2 Axles - Proportional.
Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #15

2020 16fq

We bought a 2020 16FQ last October and have made two short (100 miles each way) trips. Here is some feedback on your questions.

First, we tow with a 2012 Toyota Highlander V6 Limited, using a Husky TS Centerline WD hitch with sway control. I was apprehensive about the Highlander, but have not had issues in our limited experience. We try and minimize how much we load (no water) and don't plan on climbing any mountains with this vehicle.

Our fridge is AC and propane and I would not want to run on battery. Our trips have been with electrical hookup, but a trip in July is planned to a rustic site and we will run the fridge on propane.

We really like the murphy bed layout as it is the only way to get somewhat of a living space without a slideout. We have enjoyed a night of movies during storms. As someone else mentioned, it is really quick to convert. We bought a 3" RV Queen memory foam topper and it fits perfectly and makes the bed pretty comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94cherry View Post
Hi all--we're looking at buying a 2020 or 2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ. It looks like a really good fit for us and there seem to be a lot of them for sale. I have some specific questions and would love to hear about owners' experiences.

How is the 12v refrigerator? It sure is nice and big and probably less trouble than propane, but we'll be doing a fair amount of camping without hookups and I'm wondering how long it can run on the battery. Have people installed extra batteries or solar panels to help with this?

How useful is the convertible sofa setup and is the bed comfortable? We love the idea of having a couch but it looks like a lot of work to convert it. If you buy a new one-piece mattress, can you still convert the bed into a couch?

What are you towing it with? It's one of the heavier trailers we're looking at. We have a Toyota Highlander with a 5,000 lb towing capacity, so the Wolf Pup seems to be well under the limit, but I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Gabe
bheaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #16

Very Happy with mine. So my profile / garage for what else I added to it.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #17
WolfPup16FQCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
Very Happy with mine. So my profile / garage for what else I added to it.
Jeff--I would like to view your upgrades, etc. How do I find your "garage" ?

As an aside, I finally decided to order a Camco Rhino portable RV tank to empty my gray water tanks only, and I also ordered a 12v transfer pump to transfer water from my water bladder to the camper. I typically stay in state parks with no hookups...
Old 12-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsbarsCT View Post

As an aside, I finally decided to order a Camco Rhino portable RV tank to empty my gray water tanks only, and I also ordered a 12v transfer pump to transfer water from my water bladder to the camper. I typically stay in state parks with no hookups...

You can click on my name to the left and select "View Public Profile" from drop down menu. Then click on registry, and then my Wolf Pup.

or

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...fq-213857.html
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsbarsCT View Post
His garage is his Registry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94cherry View Post

Gabe
The Murphy Bed has some real comfort issues. Add a pad to the mattress and definitely add more support on the sofa when the bed is down. Otherwise, the mattress will sink in the middle because the sofa is made of very soft foam and the mattress sits on top of it when folded out. They changed the design in 2021 and added a bed board as part of the pull-down murphy bed.
Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup