Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #1

Renogy dc-dc charger

After losing power at our campsite this past weekend due to a massive storm I struggled to keep the batteries charged.
Was not prepared to be boondocking.
What I found out as well is that when hooked up to a tow vehicle the charge the batteries get from it is minuscule. Almost nothing
I’m looking at purchasing a Renogy 20a Dc to Dc charger. They seem pretty common and Havnt seen any bad reviews about them.
Only question is. Since my trailer has the 50 watt solar panel and a connect to the batteries all the time. Is there anything I have to do to accommodate for the solar.
I am fully aware that Renogy makes a Dc to Dc charger that can incorporate solar as well. But don’t feel like spending $400 on it.
Bricklayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #2

Just hook it up to the batteries. Check if your tow vehicle has a smart alternator or not as that would require an extra wire to be run along with charging line

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 PM   #3

I have a smart alternator. So will be running the IGN wire to to the charger.
One thing I did notice today after going through all the wiring under the trailer.
My wires from the tow vehicle hook up come in and go to a junction box under the trailer then go up and into the trailer about 10’ down. But only one +wire comes back to the battery terminal bar where the solar is connected for charging.
Does the power comming from the tow vehicle in a 7 pin connection go directly to the converter in the trailer ?
When I’m connected I get no change in battery voltage on the meter on the converter.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer123 View Post
I have a smart alternator. So will be running the IGN wire to to the charger.
One thing I did notice today after going through all the wiring under the trailer.
My wires from the tow vehicle hook up come in and go to a junction box under the trailer then go up and into the trailer about 10’ down. But only one +wire comes back to the battery terminal bar where the solar is connected for charging.
Does the power comming from the tow vehicle in a 7 pin connection go directly to the converter in the trailer ?
When I’m connected I get no change in battery voltage on the meter on the converter.
The IGN wire is required for all types of alternators as it actually switches the DC-DC charger on or off. This makes sure the dc-dc-charger doesn't drain the starting battery when the engine is not running.

With a Smart Alternator it's necessary to run both positive and negative-, heavy gauge, wires from starting battery to dc-dc charger.

Renogy unit's install manual is pretty clear on wire routing and size based on distance.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #5

Ended up getting the 60 amp Dc-Dc charger.
Was on sale for same price as the 20 amp. And this model has the Bluetooth control through the Renogy app. So can set charging amperage. Don’t plan on running it higher then 20 amp unless I absolutely have to.
Ordered 2 gauge red and black welding wire to run from the starting battery.
IGN wire is spliced into the charging circuit on the 7 pin connector. This only gets voltage when trailer is selected on dash and truck is running and brake depresses for at least 3 seconds. So will be a good IGN wire for turning on the unit.
One thing I had to do though is find where that wire connects to the rest of the trailer 12v system.
It was in the junction box right at the tongue of the trailer.
Plan on running the red and black battery cable to an under bumper mounted Anderson connector on the truck Then run it to the charger unit in the trailer.
I pondered back and forth about if I should put the charger in the truck or the trailer and decided on the trailer.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #6

Ended up getting the 60 amp Dc-Dc charger.
Was on sale for same price as the 20 amp. And this model has the Bluetooth control through the Renogy app. So can set charging amperage. Don’t plan on running it higher then 20 amp unless I absolutely have to.
Ordered 2 gauge red and black welding wire to run from the starting battery.
IGN wire is spliced into the charging circuit on the 7 pin connector. This only gets voltage when trailer is selected on dash and truck is running and brake depresses for at least 3 seconds. So will be a good IGN wire for turning on the unit.
One thing I had to do though is find where that wire connects to the rest of the trailer 12v system.
It was in the junction box right at the tongue of the trailer.
Plan on running the red and black battery cable to an under bumper mounted Anderson connector on the truck Then run it to the charger unit in the trailer.
I pondered back and forth about if I should put the charger in the truck or the trailer and decided on the trailer.