Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
A good outfit to purchase GoodYear Trailer tires is Discounttire...(if you have one near you).. Here is a link to their Endurance Trailer Tires and prices:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...year-endurance

Replacing my Castle Rock's in the spring.. for sure
What are some other options. GY Endurance does not come robust enough for my unit. 235-85R16, load range F (95 psi).
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I honestly believe that all tires put on trailers at the factory are designed only for the specific purpose of getting the trailer from the factory to the dealer. After that they should be disposed of and replaced with good tires.

Bruce
Go with the best quality highest load range that you can put on the trailer. Then remember that big cracks/premature failure can develope in any tire left underinflated in storage or on the road. And where I live covers to protect from UV.

Good luck
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #23

I decided earlier this afternoon after reading the first parts of this thread to replace my 3 year old Castle Rock tires before I took it out for a short Thanksgiving trip this coming Wednesday. I'm headed south to Columbia, SC for a few days with my eldest son and daughter-in-law and will stay at Sesquicentennial State Park. I've got about 8-10K miles on my China Bombs and decided it was time to replace them with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires on Tuesday.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #24
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
look at e custom hitch .on there web site. got my tires there on rims ,delivered no tax, free ship. no towing to shop. sold old ones on craigslist. came in to house in 4 days.
I destroyed my old ones (only 2200 miles on them with problems starting to appear).. If they were not good enough to make me feel safe, why would I want to dump them off on someone else.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #25
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
It seems that Castle Rocks have the worst of the bad reputations on this forum. I would say if you have CR's, get rid of them ASAP.

My Avenger came with TowMax LR D (BlowMax) tires, we ran them 2 years, and nearly 5000 miles.. then this past Spring we changed them out with GY Endurance LR E tires. Our TowMaxes were still in good condition, and I used them to change out tires on 2 of my other trailers with the 4 we pulled from the camper. The difference between the LR D TowMax tires and the GY Endurance LR E tires is eye opening. I had TowMax tires on my dump trailer, and got good service out of them considering the hard usage that comes with life on a dump trailer.
Igot 2200 miles out of my Towmax before the first one blew. All properly inflated and maintained.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #26
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I don't understand all the issues, is it a case of tire pressure, loading - overweight, hitting something on the road (curbing).

I've had 3 different trailers and not one flat or blowout, all "china bombs", heck, haven't even replaced tires on any before I sold it. I have always kept my pressure at max. cold pressure. Just lucky I guess?
My first blowout was with a off brand China bomb. I upgraded to Towmax E rated 10ply. I have been in in fleet operations for over 40 years and know the proper maintenance procedures. I got exactly 2210 miles on the first one before it blew. No load/weight issues, no debris in the road, traveling at 60mph. Id did $2000 damage to the trailer. I took them off and slashed the sidewall to make sure that they could not be reused. Purchased Goodyears and have had no problems since.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #27

They don't "run" at 80 psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrfletcher View Post
I have the original factory tires. I want to upgrade to the GY Endurance E Load tire which runs at 80#'s.
Do I need new rims or are the factory rims ok for 80 psi?
They don't "run" at 80 psi. The number on the tire sidewall is the cold pressure for the tire's maximum permissible load. Since you will be running them at the same load as your old tires, you should use the same pressure as your old tires.

Here is Goodyear's load/pressure chart for the tires.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

When my original Loadstar C range tires (excellent tires) wore out after 20,000+ miles, I got Goodyear Endurance D range, and found that the chart gave me a lower pressure than the 50 psi on the trailer placard, so I continue to use 50 psi.

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd0124 View Post
Another tire post, sorry. Our 2019 Wolf Pup BL has been towed approx 500 miles total. We are seasonal and its only about 75 miles from home. I'm well aware of the 1000 posts warning of the Castle Rocks but figured I'll get to it at some point. We don't travel much outside of the seasonal site. Both tires sidewalls are splitting after 1 year. Just wanted to do another PSA for new buyers. Change your tires immediately, make it the highest priority. Have a great Holiday season.

We have a 2019 Coachman 248br with the castle rock tires and no one moment of trouble in over 13,000 miles.

Went from Delaware to Chicago to San Diego to Delaware in 2 months and all is well.

Keep tire pressure right. Check tires at each stop. Keep on moving on.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #29

The "new" china bombs on my 30' toy hauler were 2 years old when it was purchased new from dealer in the spring of 2012....special order from the factory.

I ran the tires until the spring of 2019 with no issues....replaced them with Goodyear endurance and noticed an immediate difference.

The Goodyear tires gave a far more stable ride, roll easier and gave the TV an extra MPG.
I'm pleased.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #30
Lt.

Castle Rock

I have owned a travel trailer for 12 years. I bought a new 2010 Forest River Surveyor I had it for 10 years and never any tire problems. I bought a new 2020 Forest River Wildwood in June. I have made 3 trips in it. The first two went fine minus my ac didn't work (it's been replaced) this last trip, I blew a tire going (replaced the tire but the wheel was cracked). On the return trip blew a second tire (replaced the tire) and this wheel was also cracked.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #31

Keeping my tires at max pressure of 65 psi and holding speed at 6o to 62 solved my blowout problems. OH, and staying away from Carlisle tires.
Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Another tire post, sorry. Our 2019 Wolf Pup BL has been towed approx 500 miles total. We are seasonal and its only about 75 miles from home. I'm well aware of the 1000 posts warning of the Castle Rocks but figured I'll get to it at some point. We don't travel much outside of the seasonal site. Both tires sidewalls are splitting after 1 year. Just wanted to do another PSA for new buyers. Change your tires immediately, make it the highest priority. Have a great Holiday season.
When the castle rocks blew on ours it was 6 weeks in hospital...DO IT NOW ! juice5
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
A good outfit to purchase GoodYear Trailer tires is Discounttire...(if you have one near you).. Here is a link to their Endurance Trailer Tires and prices:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...year-endurance

Replacing my Castle Rock's in the spring.. for sure
Replaced the Tow Max tires with GY Endurance in 2017. Then traded the camper, and now again plan to change out the Castle Rocks on this one in the spring for a
set of GY Endurance before we head out. The Castle Rock tires have only 3200 miles on them and so far look great but I don’t trust them. I’ll sell them on CL like I did the others for $200 for someone’s utility trailer. The difference is night and day in ride and wear. The Endurance tires are great tires.
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:

Don't forget to file a complaint, for each tire with the condition "Sidewall Split" with NHTSA. Include vehicle VIN and the full tire DOT serial
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in July 7-10 Gillette, WY
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #35

My trailer came with castle rocks.I have tpms, maintain air pressure religiously and drive 65 mph or less. I had over
15000 miles when the 1st one blew. No heat or pressure build up on the tpms. The blow out sound alerted me before the tpms went off. The tire just blew- split in half. Luckily there was no damage
Thought I needed to get new tires.
Next trip the 2 nd tire blew- split in half did not come apart. Percussion blew the fender skirt off. Sound of blow out alerted me before the tpms went off.

I got GY endurance tires which would have been cheaper than replacing the skirt if I had done it after the 1st blow out
Hillbillyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #36
Camp to Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I don't understand all the issues, is it a case of tire pressure, loading - overweight, hitting something on the road (curbing).

I've had 3 different trailers and not one flat or blowout, all "china bombs", heck, haven't even replaced tires on any before I sold it. I have always kept my pressure at max. cold pressure. Just lucky I guess?
I donít understand either!! Iíve owned pop ups, 5 wheels, travel trailers. I have never replaced tires on any camper Iíve had! I do think there is a lot of improper loading, to sharp of turns, and especially too much speed going down the road!
Ohio_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #37

I had CR 3 years showing very little cracks. I'm looking at Maxxis 8008, I have read good reviews about them. Anyone used these ?
woodsrider40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #38

I will not buy another 5th Wheel (or any other trailer) unless it has a Quality tire on it. It is number one on the list driving my purchase decision. PERIOD.
I would hope that all other buyers would do the same so we can force the Camper Manufacturers into stopping these unsafe tires being forced onto buyers.
The Manufacturers who still put these unsafe tires are simply saying that they place their profits ahead of your safety.
Not me, not again.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #39
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

I totally agree. I had 1,000 mi on my tires and they were in Great condition but after reading all of the horror stories about the China bombs I decided to take them off, all five, and replace them with Goodyear endurance tires. Even though I had to absorb the cost, I was able to sell all five for a couple hundred dollars to take the sting out of the new tires. Wasn't going to take any chances.
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyduck View Post
My trailer came with castle rocks.I have tpms, maintain air pressure religiously and drive 65 mph or less. I had over
15000 miles when the 1st one blew. No heat or pressure build up on the tpms. The blow out sound alerted me before the tpms went off. The tire just blew- split in half. Luckily there was no damage
Thought I needed to get new tires.
Next trip the 2 nd tire blew- split in half did not come apart. Percussion blew the fender skirt off. Sound of blow out alerted me before the tpms went off.

I got GY endurance tires which would have been cheaper than replacing the skirt if I had done it after the 1st blow out

From your description i would suspect you suffered two Belt Separations, not sidewall Run Low Flex failures. TPMS do no, and are not designed to warn of Belt Separations but do warn of air leaks.
Belt separations can many times be discovered when doing a 'Free Spin inspection" which IMO should be an annual event for any trailer owner.

Did you file a couple of complaints with NHTSA? I think the only way we will see any significant improvement in the durability of ST type tires is after every failure is reported along with a demand that ST tires be able to meet the same quality and test requirements that LT tires have to pass.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in July 7-10 Gillette, WY
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, tire, tires