Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

RV GPS or RV GPS APP

Before I got my 5th Wheel I would be able to squeak by with Google maps/a free trial of an RV GPS App when traveling. With my new unit being taller I want to play it safe and make sure to get into no or as few sticky situations as possible.

My question is which is the best route to go (no pun intended) for my navigation, A GPS APP (Free or subscription) or an RV specific GPS?

If so which APP/subscription or RV GPS unit will be the best way to go?

Any pros/cons for either one I should be aware of?
kevinB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinB24 View Post
Before I got my 5th Wheel I would be able to squeak by with Google maps/a free trial of an RV GPS App when traveling. With my new unit being taller I want to play it safe and make sure to get into no or as few sticky situations as possible.

My question is which is the best route to go (no pun intended) for my navigation, A GPS APP (Free or subscription) or an RV specific GPS?

If so which APP/subscription or RV GPS unit will be the best way to go?

Any pros/cons for either one I should be aware of?
Garmin makes an RV GPS that allows you to input your vehicle weight and dimensions for routing. Any GPS app that you'd use on your smartphone needs to be a program like Sygic Truck or CoPilot that installs the map databases on the phone. Using an online navigation app can be problematic because many areas, particularly out west, have poor or nonexistent cellular service.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

I use the Garmin RV GPS and would not consider anything else. I have tried some of the apps including CoPilot and RVTripWizard but the Garmin is my choice.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's the problem with phone based apps. You go where no cell signal lives, like the entire western third of Vermont, forget about it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

We are starting to use a Garmin. We also have multiple apps and the MH and toad both have Nav apps. We carry paper maps too.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #6

RV Trip Wizard makes pretty good routes and it is easy. It can be used on a phone, but not an iPad, so I got a Garmin 1090. ( I want a big display) I’ve used Garmin in the past and Basecamp is a nightmare to understand, use and create trips.
So I will create trips on RVTW and download them to my Garmin.

This is how I have done it for years with the motorcycle.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:03 AM   #7

We have been using RV Trip Wizard for about 8 years now along with a Rand McNaLLY GPS. The GPS is getting too old and we are thinking about replacing it but we will always us RvTW because it gives us a lot of information about the route, Campground reviews, local attractions and other information that comes in very handy on our trips. Safe Travels

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #8

We've used Garmin units for 25 years, for rv's, cars, boating, motorcycling and flying. I use my phone as a phone and my GPS units and paper maps to navigate.
I still have (and use) my Garmin GPS 90 handheld aviation GPS, although Garmin no longer supports it.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #9
Steve & Linda M.

Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I use the Garmin RV GPS and would not consider anything else. I have tried some of the apps including CoPilot and RVTripWizard but the Garmin is my choice.
Completely agree. Plus the stand alone units come with Lifetime Maps and many other features such as, Weather and Construction Alerts, Radar, Detour routing, what's up ahead, etc. Dash (Kenwood) units do not typically come with those features.

I do use RV Trip Wizard for routing between campgrounds. Then transfer the route to the GPS. Also, you can use Garmin Basecamp for a similar purpose.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #10

gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
RV Trip Wizard makes pretty good routes and it is easy. It can be used on a phone, but not an iPad, so I got a Garmin 1090. ( I want a big display) I’ve used Garmin in the past and Basecamp is a nightmare to understand, use and create trips.
So I will create trips on RVTW and download them to my Garmin.

This is how I have done it for years with the motorcycle.
It sure Would it be great if they would make Basecamp more workable. I try to use it but could not figure out how to download the maps onto the computer. So I had to have my Gamin connected to the computer to get detailed maps. My 2013 version of MS Streets and Trips is getting old and not able to update since 2015. Also I am not able to load Streets and Trips on my new Windows 11 computer. So, I am looking to transition to something else. I thought Basecamp would be the best idea as I use a Garmin GPS in the MH.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
It sure Would it be great if they would make Basecamp more workable. I try to use it but could not figure out how to download the maps onto the computer. So I had to have my Gamin connected to the computer to get detailed maps. My 2013 version of MS Streets and Trips is getting old and not able to update since 2015. Also I am not able to load Streets and Trips on my new Windows 11 computer. So, I am looking to transition to something else. I thought Basecamp would be the best idea as I use a Garmin GPS in the MH.
Mark, a few years ago, I was determined to figure out Basecamp with my Zumo motorcycle GPS. I downloaded a complete Basecamp manual, set myself up in isolation for two friggin’ days and went through everything.
Basecamp is just terrible. It’s been about 5 or 6 years since I did that, but I will likely never give Basecamp another chance.
I used a couple of different motorcycle ride planners and loaded them to the Zumo. RV Trip Wizard is pretty detailed, yet simple and easy to use. I think it will be perfect to load trips/routes into the Garmin 1090.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #12

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
Mark, a few years ago, I was determined to figure out Basecamp with my Zumo motorcycle GPS. I downloaded a complete Basecamp manual, set myself up in isolation for two friggin’ days and went through everything.
Basecamp is just terrible. It’s been about 5 or 6 years since I did that, but I will likely never give Basecamp another chance.
I used a couple of different motorcycle ride planners and loaded them to the Zumo. RV Trip Wizard is pretty detailed, yet simple and easy to use. I think it will be perfect to load trips/routes into the Garmin 1090.
Also looking for something that does not have an annual subscription. For now I guess I will continue with the Streets and Trips 2013 on my Windows 10 computer. I think Streets and Trips was the best logistics program and it was free with MS Office back then. Now logistics programs cost thousands.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:37 AM   #13

I use and like a Garmin RV GPS but I am a strong supporter of always carrying detailed current paper maps and/or a good road atlas of areas where you will be travelling. Electronics are good but they can sometimes fail or not provide accurate information. Up to date maps are a good fallback and are sometimes better for giving the big picture of where you are going. They are often available for free from CAA, AAA or similar organizations. Use them together with the GPS to get details on low or narrow bridges and elevation grades.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #14

I'm kinda at the same point. New GPS or RVTW. The newest version RVTW app you can download state maps in case you lose cell service. But i'm leaning towards a Garmin RV780. Also, note the RV1090 is $100 off currently.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #15
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Not sure if I recall correctly. But you should be able to download the maps using Garmin Express to either your device or to your computer.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #16
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
I use and like a Garmin RV GPS but I am a strong supporter of always carrying detailed current paper maps and/or a good road atlas of areas where you will be travelling. Electronics are good but they can sometimes fail or not provide accurate information. Up to date maps are a good fallback and are sometimes better for giving the big picture of where you are going. They are often available for free from CAA, AAA or similar organizations. Use them together with the GPS to get details on low or narrow bridges and elevation grades.
Agree on the "paper" maps. We carry a Truckers Atlas where the oversize pages are laminated with plastic. You never know when you want to really see where you are, instead of just looking at a 7" screen. Also carry either iExit on the cell phone to see what is available along the route.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #17

I use them both. I have a Garmin RV-760 (getting a little old now, but has lifetime map updates) and I also use Copilot running on my phone. I mute the sound on the Garmin so I don't have 2 devices trying to talk over each other. The Garmin has a bigger screen, shows me more detail at intersections, freeway on/off ramps etc, and has traffic. But, I trust the RV routing on Copilot more than the Garmin. Copilot downloads all the maps to your device so you can use it whether or not you have a cell signal. Also, I can design a route in Trip Wizard, download it to Copilot and it will actually follow my route. That is hopeless with the Garmin: no matter how many waypoints you try to put in, as soon as you start a route, it recalculates and totally throws away your pre-determined route. (Maybe the newer model Garmins are better at this--I don't know.) Unfortunately, the RV Trip Wizard app now also has this problem--it recalculates and ignores your route. The first year or two it worked fine, but then they had to "improve" it, and now it's useless...
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulmer View Post
I use them both. I have a Garmin RV-760 (getting a little old now, but has lifetime map updates) and I also use Copilot running on my phone. I mute the sound on the Garmin so I don't have 2 devices trying to talk over each other. The Garmin has a bigger screen, shows me more detail at intersections, freeway on/off ramps etc, and has traffic. But, I trust the RV routing on Copilot more than the Garmin. Copilot downloads all the maps to your device so you can use it whether or not you have a cell signal. Also, I can design a route in Trip Wizard, download it to Copilot and it will actually follow my route. That is hopeless with the Garmin: no matter how many waypoints you try to put in, as soon as you start a route, it recalculates and totally throws away your pre-determined route. (Maybe the newer model Garmins are better at this--I don't know.) Unfortunately, the RV Trip Wizard app now also has this problem--it recalculates and ignores your route. The first year or two it worked fine, but then they had to "improve" it, and now it's useless...
RVTripWizard downloading to a GPX file is easy. But loading it to the GARMIN is always a PITA. It can be done, but I have to go through the learning curve every time I attempt to do it. Wouldn't even attempt to recall it off the top of my head. But I have done it.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Plus the stand alone units come with Lifetime Maps.
In my experience "LIFE TIME MAPS" is a marketing ploy. If you check the fine print. You will see language such as: "during the useable service life".

In one case the "life time" expired after 2 years of ownership. Of course I may have bought a unit that was 2 years in the market.

In another case. My unit did not have the memory or processor for the new maps. Ughh. Excuses, excuses.

YMMV
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
RVTripWizard downloading to a GPX file is easy. But loading it to the GARMIN is always a PITA. It can be done, but I have to go through the learning curve every time I attempt to do it. Wouldn't even attempt to recall it off the top of my head. But I have done it.

Yes, I don't have any trouble downloading to the Garmin. The problem is that when I then tell the Garmin to use the downloaded route, it recalculates and does whatever it wants, ignoring (for the most part) the pre-defined route. On my Garmin (RV-760) there is no capability to "preview" and modify the route on the device. It pretty much takes the start and end points and determines it's own route--ignoring what you specified.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote