Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
Hi Judd. As mentioned earlier, we had one tire wearing much more than the other 3 on our 274VFK. It was wearing evenly across the tread. I moved it around to keep it from getting too thin.

We do have a TPMS to monitor tire pressure and temperature. We have never noticed anything unusual there.

As also mentioned earlier, we did contact Lippert about the issue. Throughout this whole issue the trailer has towed very well with no obvious issues. They sent me a form to complete with various measurements to give them data on individual tire toe-in, etc.
It appears that one or both axles are slightly bent. The camber on both axles seems OK.
Will send in the dimensions tomorrow to see what their diagnosis is.
Besides weighing the individual tires, it would also be helpful to make sure the brake on the tire you are having problems with is working properly. If it is hanging up it would cause that tire to overheat.
As you know one of the top issues causing premature tire failure is heat.
We live in the midwest and for the last five years have driven as far as western CA and around the midwest with the OEM tires. No problems other than the wear on this one.
I am certain we cannot blame the tire for this wear issue.

Not sure what would bend an axle but we will see where this goes.
Good luck with your issue.
Wow, I hope I am not having that issue and hope yours gets figured out quickly for you at no cost. Thanks for all the advice, I will check into all that.
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #22

A thought on the spare. Do you have one of those black plastic covers over the spare? If yes, then your spare could have spent a good deal of time baking inside of it. I have read that heat will accelerate tire degradation. That and because the spare is not used, the normal migration of chemicals that occur in a tire during use does not occur.
Then again, this info may be a bunch of hooey.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:57 PM   #23

I have heard that as well, and yes I had a cover on it. So going to remove that as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A thought on the spare. Do you have one of those black plastic covers over the spare? If yes, then your spare could have spent a good deal of time baking inside of it. I have read that heat will accelerate tire degradation. That and because the spare is not used, the normal migration of chemicals that occur in a tire during use does not occur.
Then again, this info may be a bunch of hooey.
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #24

Update: the Lippert rep looked over the numbers & photos. It looks like the front trailer axle is bent. The trailer is way out of warranty, so the repairs are on us. Good news, though, we’re going to take a day trip & pick up a new axle to install ourselves. (We live pretty close to Goshen) It’s good that my husband is a good mechanic & can install the axle himself. While we have the tires off, we’ll take the wheels to our tire shop & have new tires put on.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
Update: the Lippert rep looked over the numbers & photos. It looks like the front trailer axle is bent. The trailer is way out of warranty, so the repairs are on us. Good news, though, we’re going to take a day trip & pick up a new axle to install ourselves. (We live pretty close to Goshen) It’s good that my husband is a good mechanic & can install the axle himself. While we have the tires off, we’ll take the wheels to our tire shop & have new tires put on.
Glad you found the solution. You should have a lot smoother experience towing the trailer with a good axle.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Glad you found the solution. You should have a lot smoother experience towing the trailer with a good axle.
Actually, the trailer handles fine. We wouldn’t have known of the problem had the one tire not worn so strangely. It pays to inspect the tires before each trip.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #27
Commercial Member

ideas

Some good suggestions. Some questions.
What tire pressure do you set the tires to when they are cold?
Have you confirmed your gauge is accurate (+/- 2 psi is minimum I would accept)
Yes black covers can bake the life out of your spare.

Inspection does not mean walking around and checking for worn out tire. "Free Spin" every 2,00 mi or at least annually

Read this post.

Review the posts on my blog.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #28

I had a run of bad luck with the 2017 Wolfpack 325.
It came with castle rocks and we blew 2 with in 60km of each other on one trip.
The third went out 2 trips later.
Switched to Carlisle and have been trouble free since.
Regards
Chris G.
cgjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #29

Non scientific observation, but I did some work in an area with lots of nails after a big storm.

Over a period of 3 months, out of about 20+ nails I picked up 90% of nails in tires ended up in the the rear tire of tandem axle trailer. Point being some tire locations are more prone for nails, tire blowout then other locations at least in my observation.

Assuming axle and weight are in line trailers take a beating when it comes to tires.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #30

I'm curious. Were your original Castle Rock tires D or E rated? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddjn3399 View Post
So we have a 2018Cherokee 274VFK that we purchased new in 2018. So far we love it. Last year while traveling the rear drivers side tire blew out "castle rock" OEM tire. So I put the spare on which is the same tire. When we got to where we were going the only tire place around only had a Carlisle E rated tire. I read some reviews it seems Carlisle makes a decent tire and after paying far to much it was mounted on the wheel. I did the normal procrastination and waited until the day before we were to come home to pull the spare off and put the Carlisle on. Well it was raining so I decided I would just make the swap when I got home. Needless to say the spare blew, so I was in the side of the road put the new Carlisle tire in and finished the trip. Plan to change the rest of the tires out from castle rocks in a few weeks. My DW is worried that something is wrong with the camper because we had two blowouts of the same tire position rear "drivers side". I checked the axles and the seem straight to me. The space between the rear and front tires look the same both sides. I think it's just a coincidence and that they are junk tires. She is very concerned that we won't get far this year without the tire blowing again because she read somewhere that we could have an axle problem. I run about 68MPH, tires rated for 75. Always make sure the tires are full of air. I have never hit a curb or anything, the trailer tows straight behind the truck with no sway. So what do you all think, do I have a axle alignment issue or just crap tires with a coincidence
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire