Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Same tire blow out

So we have a 2018Cherokee 274VFK that we purchased new in 2018. So far we love it. Last year while traveling the rear drivers side tire blew out "castle rock" OEM tire. So I put the spare on which is the same tire. When we got to where we were going the only tire place around only had a Carlisle E rated tire. I read some reviews it seems Carlisle makes a decent tire and after paying far to much it was mounted on the wheel. I did the normal procrastination and waited until the day before we were to come home to pull the spare off and put the Carlisle on. Well it was raining so I decided I would just make the swap when I got home. Needless to say the spare blew, so I was in the side of the road put the new Carlisle tire in and finished the trip. Plan to change the rest of the tires out from castle rocks in a few weeks. My DW is worried that something is wrong with the camper because we had two blowouts of the same tire position rear "drivers side". I checked the axles and the seem straight to me. The space between the rear and front tires look the same both sides. I think it's just a coincidence and that they are junk tires. She is very concerned that we won't get far this year without the tire blowing again because she read somewhere that we could have an axle problem. I run about 68MPH, tires rated for 75. Always make sure the tires are full of air. I have never hit a curb or anything, the trailer tows straight behind the truck with no sway. So what do you all think, do I have a axle alignment issue or just crap tires with a coincidence
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

I would tell your wife not to worry. It's not unusual to blow a spare. That's a dual axel tire and the tire nearest to the blown out tire sometimes weakens because of the blowout. That would put more stress on your spare.
A new set of tires all around should work.
However, check how that vehicle is loaded. Too much weight on a tire can cause an early blowout.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

If there was a axle alignment problem you would see uneven wear in the tire. That being said, did you see any damage to the tire or was it too shredded to tell?
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
If there was a axle alignment problem you would see uneven wear in the tire. That being said, did you see any damage to the tire or was it too shredded to tell?
The first tire was very shredded. The second one I felt vibrating and pulled over before the actual explosion, the tire seemed to have internal belt separation as it had bulged out in one section. I checked the tire on the opposite side of same axle and see no wear at all on that tire or any other. I feel that of it was a axle problem the camper wouldn't track straight. But I am no expert that's why I ask
Old 03-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I would tell your wife not to worry. It's not unusual to blow a spare. That's a dual axel tire and the tire nearest to the blown out tire sometimes weakens because of the blowout. That would put more stress on your spare.
A new set of tires all around should work.
However, check how that vehicle is loaded. Too much weight on a tire can cause an early blowout.
Ok thank you, I didn't think about the front tire being made a bit weaker putting more stress on the spare. We tow the camper relatively empty, clothes and maybe a small amount of food, but the clothes are in the bedroom located all the way in back and being a front kitchen the food cabinet is pretty far forward. I would say loaded with supplies its maybe 100 pounds heavier then empty, we don't tow with water in the tanks. Again thanks for the input
Old 03-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

I do not know your rig, but a way too common problem with today’s RV is the weight is not evenly distributed. To often one corner or side weighs a lot more than the other. So when you inflate your tires as recommended you could actually be overinflated on one side and under inflated on the other. Have you weighed both sides independently?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

I have a 2016 5th wheel, bought new in 2017, a Rockwood 8299BS. It had the Castle Rock tires also. Thought I'd get 2 yrs and abt 10,000 mi out of them then replace. Nope. Summer 2018 had 1st blowout, month later 2nd blowout. Replaced all 5 with Goodyear Endurance E rated tires, up from the D rated Castle Rocks. Have been out west and back, put over 12,000 mi on the GY tires. Look new yet. Some have reported getting great mileage from their Castle Rock tires. With my bad experiences, I would get them off immediately and go 1 load rating heavier , D to an E etc.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

I would say 1 thing check the weight you my have more load on the rear tires just saying can't hurt to see if all tiresare carrying there even load.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

Carlisle is a better tire IMO. When towing TTS and a light 5er I ran them for years. Never a problem. E on the TTS and F on the 5er. Endurance is an over priced alternative. Now I run nothing but Sailun. My last TT and 1st 5er went from the dealer to the tire shop for Carlisle replacement.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
D W

Your rig is a 2018 model, but what are the date codes on your tires?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #11

We have a Cherokee 274 VFK, I think it is a 2015, purchased new.

My husband noticed our tires are wearing unevenly on the right side of the trailer. He contacted FR (May be Lippert, I’m not sure) for guidance & are sending more info to them including some measurements and photos of the axels & springs. We installed Equa-flex on our trailer When we had problems on rough roads, and discovered the original bolts holding the suspension were failing. We installed wet bolts. (At this point, I am repeating all I know, if you need clarity, I’ll ask my husband to reply)

They will look at the photos & we should know if the tire wear is caused by weight, a bent axel, or perhaps flattened leaf springs.

The people at Lippert and FR have been very helpful every time we have called with questions.

One thing we did our first year with this trailer was to have it weighed. Since the front kitchen adds a lot of weight to the front, it was advised that we travel with some water in our fresh water tank and pay attention where the heavier items we use are loaded. If you haven’t already done so, you may want to have your truck & trailer weighed.

Did you inspect the underside of your trailer for damage after your tire blew?
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I do not know your rig, but a way too common problem with todayís RV is the weight is not evenly distributed. To often one corner or side weighs a lot more than the other. So when you inflate your tires as recommended you could actually be overinflated on one side and under inflated on the other. Have you weighed both sides independently?
Hmmm, no I have never weighed both sides separate.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnelson View Post
I have a 2016 5th wheel, bought new in 2017, a Rockwood 8299BS. It had the Castle Rock tires also. Thought I'd get 2 yrs and abt 10,000 mi out of them then replace. Nope. Summer 2018 had 1st blowout, month later 2nd blowout. Replaced all 5 with Goodyear Endurance E rated tires, up from the D rated Castle Rocks. Have been out west and back, put over 12,000 mi on the GY tires. Look new yet. Some have reported getting great mileage from their Castle Rock tires. With my bad experiences, I would get them off immediately and go 1 load rating heavier , D to an E etc.
Yeah they are junk, I am switching them all to E rated tires in about 2 weeks.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
I would say 1 thing check the weight you my have more load on the rear tires just saying can't hurt to see if all tiresare carrying there even load.
I am going to look into that. Thank you
Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Carlisle is a better tire IMO. When towing TTS and a light 5er I ran them for years. Never a problem. E on the TTS and F on the 5er. Endurance is an over priced alternative. Now I run nothing but Sailun. My last TT and 1st 5er went from the dealer to the tire shop for Carlisle replacement.
Yeah, I thank I am going with the Carlisle E rated. They have good reviews
Old 03-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
We have a Cherokee 274 VFK, I think it is a 2015, purchased new.

My husband noticed our tires are wearing unevenly on the right side of the trailer. He contacted FR (May be Lippert, Iím not sure) for guidance & are sending more info to them including some measurements and photos of the axels & springs. We installed Equa-flex on our trailer When we had problems on rough roads, and discovered the original bolts holding the suspension were failing. We installed wet bolts. (At this point, I am repeating all I know, if you need clarity, Iíll ask my husband to reply)

They will look at the photos & we should know if the tire wear is caused by weight, a bent axel, or perhaps flattened leaf springs.

The people at Lippert and FR have been very helpful every time we have called with questions.

One thing we did our first year with this trailer was to have it weighed. Since the front kitchen adds a lot of weight to the front, it was advised that we travel with some water in our fresh water tank and pay attention where the heavier items we use are loaded. If you havenít already done so, you may want to have your truck & trailer weighed.

Did you inspect the underside of your trailer for damage after your tire blew?
Great info, thank you. Yeah I gave it a good inspection. Everything looked like it was good after the tire blew. I haven't noticed any uneven tire wear on either side, I always give it a good once over before and after each trip but I am certainly going to check the wear real good when I pull it out here in a few weeks and I am going to replace them all either way. Again thank you for all the info, I will check all my suspension bolts and components real good too
Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #17
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I don't think Endurance is an over price tire . What you prefer and maybe cheaper but who says they any better than GY. I got my newest set for $525 mounted and balanced. Pretty good price I'd say. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-26
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #18

One of my Castle Rocks blew last summer while I was on a trip heading north. It was during morning rush on I-77 a little north of Columbia, SC. I replaced all 4 with the Carlisle under the recommendation of a Firestone Truck Service dealer. He firmly believes that the Carlisle is just as good if not better than Goodyear Endurance tires and much more economical. I still have a Castle Rock for a spare. I would hope that it would get me to a repair shop in the event of another incident.
I would pull that wheel off and check the bearings. Too much heat from friction could do damage twice like what happened to you.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #19

274VFK

Hi Judd. As mentioned earlier, we had one tire wearing much more than the other 3 on our 274VFK. It was wearing evenly across the tread. I moved it around to keep it from getting too thin.

We do have a TPMS to monitor tire pressure and temperature. We have never noticed anything unusual there.

As also mentioned earlier, we did contact Lippert about the issue. Throughout this whole issue the trailer has towed very well with no obvious issues. They sent me a form to complete with various measurements to give them data on individual tire toe-in, etc.
It appears that one or both axles are slightly bent. The camber on both axles seems OK.
Will send in the dimensions tomorrow to see what their diagnosis is.
Besides weighing the individual tires, it would also be helpful to make sure the brake on the tire you are having problems with is working properly. If it is hanging up it would cause that tire to overheat.
As you know one of the top issues causing premature tire failure is heat.
We live in the midwest and for the last five years have driven as far as western CA and around the midwest with the OEM tires. No problems other than the wear on this one.
I am certain we cannot blame the tire for this wear issue.

Not sure what would bend an axle but we will see where this goes.
Good luck with your issue.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
One of my Castle Rocks blew last summer while I was on a trip heading north. It was during morning rush on I-77 a little north of Columbia, SC. I replaced all 4 with the Carlisle under the recommendation of a Firestone Truck Service dealer. He firmly believes that the Carlisle is just as good if not better than Goodyear Endurance tires and much more economical. I still have a Castle Rock for a spare. I would hope that it would get me to a repair shop in the event of another incident.
I would pull that wheel off and check the bearings. Too much heat from friction could do damage twice like what happened to you.
Yeah, I don't trust em now. I certainly will be checking those bearings. Thanks for the tip

Tags
tire