Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Should I replace my 2021 wolfpup 16BHSHL Castle Rock tire?

I just found a lot of thread online talked about horrible stories of this OEM tire. I was gonna replace them but here's the thing I'm most debating:
My TT is the black label which has real world dry weight of 3500lb and GVWR of 5000lb. Compare to non black label(same dry weight but <4000lb GVWR), I believe they put better spec tires with more margin. Like mine in 225/75/R15, load range E, max speed 75mph that kind of thing.
I almost never tow up to 65mph and always tow with empty tanks. So my total weight should never exceed 4000lb.

So I feel at least compare to non black labels, I should have more margin and less risk?
protel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

The first trip I took with my 16BHS was to a Walmart tire center to replace the China bombs with Goodyear Endurance, which are rated 87mph. If you had a 3-axle fifth wheel, okay, but replacing just two tires costs less than a decent surge protector, so why roll the dice?
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

Buy a tire pressure monitor system.

Your tires are fine. Keep speed reasonable (60-65) Keep psi cold a couple of pounds below psi stated on tire. The air in the tire will heat up and you will above 'cold' psi as you drive down the road. Too low psi, not good, too high psi, not good. (you will hear a long story book on this, so I will say imo)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #4

Personally, I ran castle rock tires for 4 seasons, replaced them this season when I noticed sidewall cracks during first trip in May 2021. I do feel better having the Goodyear Endurance installed.
K2Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #5

We bought our Grey Wolf 23MK back in March. It was equipped with Castle Rock tires. We completed 8-9 trips anywhere from 2 hour drive to 7 hour drives with no issues.

Just before our August/September 16 day trip to the Grand Tetons from Chicago. I had Goodyear Endurance tires installed. I was not about to take that chance on the cheap tires on a long trip. I did keep two Castle Rocks as spares. Had one mounted on a spare rim.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by protel View Post
I just found a lot of thread online talked about horrible stories of this OEM tire. I was gonna replace them but here's the thing I'm most debating:
My TT is the black label which has real world dry weight of 3500lb and GVWR of 5000lb. Compare to non black label(same dry weight but <4000lb GVWR), I believe they put better spec tires with more margin. Like mine in 225/75/R15, load range E, max speed 75mph that kind of thing.
I almost never tow up to 65mph and always tow with empty tanks. So my total weight should never exceed 4000lb.

So I feel at least compare to non black labels, I should have more margin and less risk?
in 16 at 55mph my 27RR blew both Castlerocks, trailer n truck rolled...6 wks hosp..UNSAFE ON ANY RIG...and INDUSTRY KNOWS IT !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Buy a tire pressure monitor system.

Your tires are fine. Keep speed reasonable (60-65) Keep psi cold a couple of pounds below psi stated on tire. The air in the tire will heat up and you will above 'cold' psi as you drive down the road. Too low psi, not good, too high psi, not good. (you will hear a long story book on this, so I will say imo)
Your tires should be inflated to the psi stated on the sticker inside the door on the vehicle, not the max on the tire. Two entirely different numbers. And they should be inflated to that psi in the “cold” state, or ambient temperature. Yes, the psi will increase with temperature but the rated psi is in the cold state.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #8

If in fact you keep your weight at or below 4k lbs, you have close to a 30% load reserve. That will more than cover any side to side weight differences. So I would continue to use them for no more than 5 years. If you get close to 5k lbs, your reserve is down to about 12%. That is too close for my liking and would be looking to replace the tires sooner and would be watching them very closely.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #9

I ran China bombs for six years, always checked the pressure. Sidewalls looked fine. Trying for seven years was a mistake. The blowout cost me an extra $100 for repairs to the bottom of my slide out from steel belt damage, and I figure I got off cheap.
Next time I invest several thousand $ in a new rig I'm going straight to Goodyear and consider the less than $1,000 to replace the China bombs with Endurance to be part of the cost of a buying new rig.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Your tires should be inflated to the psi stated on the sticker inside the door on the vehicle, not the max on the tire. Two entirely different numbers. And they should be inflated to that psi in the “cold” state, or ambient temperature. Yes, the psi will increase with temperature but the rated psi is in the cold state.
Correct!!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

So here we go. That brand of tire was on my new 30' TT when we made a 5000 mile trip from OR thru TX and back without an issue. Speeds ranged up to 70 mph, but I tried not to exceed 65, at 110 degree F temps. I checked the air pressure ever morning before we moved (and didn't need to add any air on the trip.) Pay attention and you should be ok, but if you're a worrier, change'em out. The point is to be able to enjoy using your TT and the travel with it.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #12

DH just replaced our tires before a 7 week cross country trip with 10ply “E”. I drove up and down mountains, across the prairies and even through sand. I can attest that the amount of sway when trucks passed us or when the wind was gusting was negligible. The trailer stability was unbelievably improved. This our third TT, but the first time on E tires. Just DO IT!
Bohemian Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Belle View Post
DH just replaced our tires before a 7 week cross country trip with 10ply “E”. I drove up and down mountains, across the prairies and even through sand. I can attest that the amount of sway when trucks passed us or when the wind was gusting was negligible. The trailer stability was unbelievably improved. This our third TT, but the first time on E tires. Just DO IT!
But the one I have is already 10ply “E”
protel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:17 AM   #14

If they are load range E tires, i would get a tpms system and run them for 4-5 years max. I just replaced the powerking towmax tires that came on our (much heavier, 10k gross weight) trailer, as they were questionable age, being from mid 2016, and we are about to embark on cross country full time living... i replaced our towmax load range d tires with goodyear endurance load range E tires.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #15

Always replace Castle Rocks.

You have to experience the damage caused by a cheap tire blowout. Then you will believe.
MachaMacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guspech750 View Post
We bought our Grey Wolf 23MK back in March. It was equipped with Castle Rock tires. We completed 8-9 trips anywhere from 2 hour drive to 7 hour drives with no issues.

Just before our August/September 16 day trip to the Grand Tetons from Chicago. I had Goodyear Endurance tires installed. I was not about to take that chance on the cheap tires on a long trip. I did keep two Castle Rocks as spares. Had one mounted on a spare rim.

Two spares good.... But how about a good TPMS. THAT SAVED ME FROM A BUNCH OF BLOW OUT DAMAGE, at least once. My wife was driving our F250 pulling about 8000 lbs of TH at about 55 mph. The alarm went off. I could see the pressure number falling from 82 psi. I started saying stop stop stop we have a flat tire. She slowed(not fast enough to suit me), She was swearing that it must be a false alarm because she couldn't feel a thing, and she is a well experienced towing driver. She slowed way down and pulled over. The tire was destroyed, but still on the rim. No harm to the trailer. Imagine the damage if we hadn't had the TPMS and we had kept moving.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Belle View Post
Sad thing is so many of these supposedly LITE trailers only have 14 inch wheels. Even though the trailer my kids bought has 2 3500 lb axles which is equal to the total gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer, in the interest of saving 50 cents the manufacturer sends it out the door with 14 inch tires and the heaviest thing you can get on a 14-in wheel is a load range d tire. I've been searching high and low for load range e in a 14 inch but it's not happening. In a perfect world if the weight distribution on all four tires was always equal then load range C tires on 3500 lb axles would be fine. The reality is the weight shifts from side to side and from front to rear so those tires have to be ready to take a whole lot more than the theoretical one fourth of the trailer weight. I'm with the above quote. JUST DO IT
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, tire